- Volume 4 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
A monitoring system for wind turbines subjected to combined seismic and turbulent aerodynamic loads
- Fitzgerald, Breiffni (Department of Civil, Structural & Environmental Engineering, Trinity College Dublin) ;
- Basu, Biswajit (Department of Civil, Structural & Environmental Engineering, Trinity College Dublin)
- Received : 2017.02.16
- Accepted : 2017.06.11
- Published : 2017.06.25
Research to date has mainly focused on structural analysis and design of wind turbines considering turbulent aerodynamic loading. The combined effects of wind and seismic loading have not been studied by many researchers. With the recent expansion of wind turbines into seismically active regions research is now needed into the implications of seismic loading coupled with turbulent aerodynamic loading. This paper proposes a monitoring procedure for onshore horizontal axis wind turbines (HAWTs) subjected to this combined loading regime. The paper examines the impact of seismic loading on the 5-MW baseline HAWT developed by the National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL). A modified version of FAST, an open-source program developed by NREL, is used to perform the dynamic analysis.
Supported by : European Commission
- Abrahamson, N.A. (1992), "Non-stationary spectral matching", Seismol. Res. Lett., 63(1), 30.
- Arrigan, J., Pakrashi, V., Basu, B. And Nagarajaiah, S. (2011), Control of flapwise vibrations in wind turbine blades using semi‐active tuned mass dampers", Struct. Control Health Monit., 18(8), 840-851. https://doi.org/10.1002/stc.404
- Arrigan, J., Huang, C., Staino, A., Basu, B. and Nagarajaiah, S. (2014), "A frequency tracking semi-active algorithm for control of edgewise vibrations in wind turbine blades", Smart Struct. Syst., 13(2), 177-201. https://doi.org/10.12989/sss.2014.13.2.177
- Asareh, M.A. and Prowell, I. (2011), "Seismic loading for FAST. Contract, 303(275), e3000", National Renewable Energy Laboratory, Golden, CO, USA.
- Basu, B. and Gupta, V.K. (1995), "A probabilistic assessment of seismic damage in ductile structures", Earthq. Eng. Struct. D., 24(10), 1333-1342. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.4290241004
- Basu, B., Nagarajaiah, S. and Chakraborty, A. (2008), "Online identification of linear time-varying stiffness of structural systems by wavelet analysis", Struct. Health Monit., 7(1), 21-36. https://doi.org/10.1177/1475921707081968
- Basu, B., Staino, A. and Basu, M. (2014), "Role of flexible alternating current transmission systems devices in mitigating grid fault‐induced vibration of wind turbines", Wind Energy, 17(7), 1017-1033. https://doi.org/10.1002/we.1616
- Basu, B., Zhang, Z. and Nielsen, S.R. (2016), „Damping of edgewise vibration in wind turbine blades by means of circular liquid dampers", Wind Energy, 19(2), 213-226. https://doi.org/10.1002/we.1827
- Cimellaro, G.P. and De Stefano, A. (2014), "Ambient vibration tests of XV century Renaissance Palace after 2012 Emilia earthquake in Northern Italy", Struct. Monit. Maint., 1(2), 231-247. https://doi.org/10.12989/SMM.2014.1.2.231
- Colwell, S. and Basu, B. (2009), "Tuned liquid column dampers in offshore wind turbines for structural control", Eng. Struct., 31(2), 358-368. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2008.09.001
- Dai, K., Huang, Y., Gong, C., Huang, Z. and Ren, X. (2015), "Rapid seismic analysis methodology for in-service wind turbine towers", Earthq. Eng. Eng. Vib., 14(3), 539-548. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11803-015-0043-0
- Dinh, V.N. and Basu, B. (2015), "Passive control of floating offshore wind turbine nacelle and spar vibrations by multiple tuned mass dampers", Struct. Control Health Monit., 22(1), 152-176. https://doi.org/10.1002/stc.1666
- Dinh, V.N., Basu, B. and Nagarajaiah, S. (2016), "Semi-active control of vibrations of spar type floating offshore wind turbines", Smart Struct. Syst., 18(4), 683-705. https://doi.org/10.12989/sss.2016.18.4.683
- Dueñas-Osorio, L. and Basu, B. (2008), "Unavailability of wind turbines due to wind-induced accelerations", Eng. Struct., 30(4), 885-893. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2007.05.015
- European Standard EN 1998-1:2004 (2004), "Design of structures for earthquake resistance. Part 1: general rules, seismic actions and rules for buildings", Comite Europeen de Normalisation, Brussels, Belgium.
- Fitzgerald, B., Arrigan, J. and Basu, B. (2010), "Damage detection in wind turbine blades using time-frequency analysis of vibration signals", In Neural Networks (IJCNN), Proceedings of the 2010 International Joint Conference on (pp. 1-5). IEEE.
- Fitzgerald, B. and Basu, B. (2014), "Cable connected active tuned mass dampers for control of in-plane vibrations of wind turbine blades", J. Sound Vib., 333(23), 5980-6004. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsv.2014.05.031
- Fitzgerald, B. and Basu, B. (2016), "Structural control of wind turbines with soil structure interaction included", Eng. Struct., 111(2016), 131-151. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2015.12.019
- Fitzgerald, B., Basu, B. and Nielsen, S.R.K. (2013), "Active tuned mass dampers for control of in-plane vibrations of wind turbine blades", Struct. Control Health Monit., 20(12), 1377-1396. https://doi.org/10.1002/stc.1524
- Ganjavi, B. and Hao, H. (2013), "Optimum lateral load pattern for seismic design of elastic shear-buildings incorporating soil-structure interaction effects", Earthq. Eng. Struct. D., 42(6), 913-933. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.2252
- Germanischer LIoyd (2007), Rules and Guidelines, IV Industry Services, 4 Guideline for the Certification of Condition Monitoring Systems for Wind Turbines.
- Hajirasouliha, I., Asadi, P. and Pilakoutas, K. (2012), "An efficient performance-based seismic design method for reinforced concrete frames", Earthq. Eng. Struct. D., 41(4), 663-679. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.1150
- Hancock, J., Watson-Lamprey, J., Abrahamson, N.A., Bommer, J.J., Markatis, A., McCOY, E.M.M.A. and Mendis, R. (2006), "An improved method of matching response spectra of recorded earthquake ground motion using wavelets", J. Earthq. Eng., 10(1), 67-89..
- Hu, W.H., Thns, S., Rohrmann, R.G., Said, S. and Rcker, W. (2015), "Vibration-based structural health monitoring of a wind turbine system Part II: Environmental/operational effects on dynamic properties", Eng. Struct., 89, 273-290. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2014.12.035
- Jonkman, B.J., Butterfield, S., Musial, W. and Scott, G. (2009), "Definition of a 5-MW reference wind turbine for offshore system development. Report No. NREL/TP- 50038060", National Renewable Energy Laboratory, Golden, CO, USA.
- Jonkman, J.M. and Buhl, M.L. Jr. (2005), "FAST users guide. Report No. NREL/EL-500-38230", National Renewable Energy Laboratory, Golden, CO, USA.
- Jonkman, J.M. (2009), "TurbSim user's guide: version 1.50. Report No. NREL/TP-500-46198", National Renewable Energy Laboratory, Golden, CO, USA.
- Katsanos, E.I., Thöns, S. And Georgakis, C.Τ. (2016), "Wind turbines and seismic hazard: a state‐of‐the‐art review", Wind Energy, 19(11), 2113-2133. https://doi.org/10.1002/we.1968
- Kim, D.H., Lee, S.G. and Lee, I.K. (2014), "Seismic fragility analysis of 5 MW offshore wind turbine", Renew. Energ., 65, 250-256, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.renene.2013.09.023
- Lackner, M.A. and Rotea, M.A. (2011), "Passive structural control of offshore wind turbines", Wind Energy, 14(3), 373-388. https://doi.org/10.1002/we.426
- Murtagh, P.J., Ghosh, A., Basu, B. and Broderick, B.M. (2008), "Passive control of wind turbine vibrations including blade/tower interaction and rotationally sampled turbulence", Wind Energy, 11(4), 305-317. https://doi.org/10.1002/we.249
- Murtagh, P.J. and Basu, B. (2007), Identification of equivalent modal damping for a wind turbine at standstill using Fourier and wavelet analysis", Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part K: Journal of Multi-body Dynamics, 221(4), 577-589.
- Mori, F. and Spina, D. (2015), "Vulnerability assessment of strategic buildings based on ambient vibrations measurements", Struct. Monit. Maint., 2(2), 115-132, 2015. https://doi.org/10.12989/smm.2015.2.2.115
- Nagarajaiah, S. and Basu, B. (2009), "Output only modal identification and structural damage detection using time frequency & wavelet techniques", Earthq. Eng. Eng. Vib., 8(4), 583-605. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11803-009-9120-6
- Ng, C. and Ran, L. (Eds.). (2016), Offshore wind farms: technologies, design and operation. Woodhead Publishing.
- SeismoMatch (2016), "A computer program for adjusting earthquake records to match a specific target response spectrum.", Available: http://http://www.seismosoft.com/seismomatch
- Shahi, R., Nam, N., Gad, E., Wilson, J. and Watson, K. (2016), "Seismic performance behaviour of cold-formed steel wall panels by quasi-static tests and incremental dynamic analyses", J. Earthq. Eng., 1-28.
- Staino, A., Basu, B. and Nielsen, S.R.K. (2012), "Actuator control of edgewise vibrations in wind turbine blades", J. Sound Vib., 331(6), 1233-1256. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsv.2011.11.003
- Staino, A. and Basu, B. (2013), "Dynamics and control of vibrations in wind turbines with variable rotor speed", Eng. Struct., 56, 58-67. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2013.03.014
- Staino, A. and Basu, B. (2015), "Emerging trends in vibration control of wind turbines: a focus on a dual control strategy", Philos. T. R. Soc. A, 373(2035), 20140069. https://doi.org/10.1098/rsta.2014.0069
- Stewart, G.M. and Lackner, M.A. (2011), "The effect of actuator dynamics on active structural control of offshore wind turbines", Eng. Struct., 33(5), 1807-1816. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2011.02.020
- Tesfamariam, S., Stiemer, S.F., Dickof, C. and Bezabeh, M.A. (2014), "Seismic vulnerability assessment of hybrid steel-timber structure: Steel moment-resisting frames with CLT infill", J. Earthqu. Eng., 18(6), 929-944. https://doi.org/10.1080/13632469.2014.916240
- Zaher, A., McArthur, S.D.J., Infield, D.G. and Patel, Y. (2009), "Online wind turbine fault detection through automated SCADA data analysis", Wind Energy, 12 (6), 574-593. https://doi.org/10.1002/we.319
- Zhang, Z., Li, J., Nielsen, S.R. and Basu, B. (2014), „Mitigation of edgewise vibrations in wind turbine blades by means of roller dampers", J. Sound Vib., 333(21), 5283-5298. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsv.2014.06.006
- Zhang, Z., Basu, B. and Nielsen, S.R. (2015), „Tuned liquid column dampers for mitigation of edgewise vibrations in rotating wind turbine blades", Struct. Control Health Monit., 22(3), 500-517. https://doi.org/10.1002/stc.1689
- Zhang, Z., Staino, A., Basu, B. and Nielsen, S.R. (2016), "Performance evaluation of full-scale tuned liquid dampers (TLDs) for vibration control of large wind turbines using real-time hybrid testing", Eng. Struct., 126, 417-431. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2016.07.008