- Volume 17 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Influencing Factors on the Nicotine Dependence of Shift Workers
교대 근무자의 니코틴 의존도에 영향을 미치는 요인
- Received : 2017.02.20
- Accepted : 2017.04.18
- Published : 2017.06.28
The factors influencing nicotine dependence of smoking shift workers (154 samples), working in manufacturing industry, were investigated. 23.4% of the sample showed moderate nicotine dependence while 14.3% did severe dependence. Nicotine dependence showed statistically significant difference with respect to sex, disease, and health condition and was positively correlated with occupational stress. Occupational stress, sex, and disease were identified as the influential factors, explaining 43.9%, and should be the basis for intervention to reduce nicotine dependence.
Shift Worker;Nicotine Dependence
- Ministry of Health & Welfare, Korea health statistics 2013: Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination survey(KNHANES), 2014.
- Ministry of Employment and Labor Reserved, Working hours survey analysis, 2011.
- S. R. Son, B. M, Choe, S. H. Kim, Y. S. Hong, and B. G. Kim, "A study on the relationship between job stress and nicotine dependence in Korean workers," Annals of Occuptional and Environmental Medicine, Vol. 28, No. 6, pp. 9-17, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1186/s40557-016-0094-3
- D. H. Lee, J. S. Kim, S. M. Kim, S. S. Kim, J. G.J eong, H. J. Park, and K. M. Kim, "Nicotine Dependence and Internal Response to Stress in Male Smokers," Annals of Occuptional and Environmental Medicine, Vol. 28, No. 8, pp. 604-609, 2007.
- Y. H. Kim, "Facotrs affecting the success of smoking cessation for six months in the smoking cesstion of a public health center based on the transtheoretical model," Journal of Korean Academy Community Health Nursing, Vol. 20, pp. 433-442, 2013.
- R. A. Grucza and L. J .Bierut, "Co-occurring risk factors for alcohol dependence and habitual smoking: update on findings from the Collab orative Study on the Genetics of Alcoholism," Alchol Research & Health, Vol. 29, No. 3, pp. 172-178, 2006.
- J. Y. Jeong and M. O. Gu, "The Influence of Stress Response, Physical Activity, and Sleep Hygiene on Sleep Quality of Shift Work Nurses," Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, Vol. 17, No. 6, pp. 546-559, 2016. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2016.17.6.546
- D. A. Kalmbach, V. Pillai, P. Cheng, J. T. Arnedt, and C. L. Drake, "Shift work disorder, dep ression, and anxiety in the transition to rotating shifts: the role of sleep reactivity," Sleep Med, No. 15, pp. 1532-1538, 2015.
- H. J. Kwon, Y. J. Kim, and H. S. Kim, "The Assoc iation between Smoking Amount and Mental Health," Journal of Wellness, Vol. 11, No. 3, pp. 297-305, 2016.
- S. M. Lee, K. H. Lee, and W. J. Jeong, "Associ ation of Stress Level with Smoking," Korean Journal of Family Medicine, Vol. 27, No. 1, pp. 42-48, 2006.
- Neeraj Gupta, "Nicotine dependence among workers: Is it a time for smoke-free work places," Lung India, Vol. 33, No. 5, pp. 477-476, 2016. doi:10.10.3/0970-2113,188959 https://doi.org/10.4103/0970-2113.188959
- Y. K. Kim, D. Y. Yoon, J. I. Kim, C. H. Choi, and Y. S. Hong, "Effects of Health on Shift-Work," Annals of Occupational and Environmental Medicine, Vol. 14, No. 3, pp. 247-256, 2002.
- H. Y. Jang and S. Y. Han, "Factors Affecting Smoking Cessation Intention of Female Workers: Using Communipational Health Nursing Health Survey 2014," Korean Journal of Occupational Health Nursing, Vol. 25, No. 4, pp. 352-361, 2016. https://doi.org/10.5807/kjohn.2016.25.4.352
- Y. H. Kim, "Factors Related to Health-Related Quality of life among Adult Smokers in Smoking Cessation Clinics," Journal of the Korean Data Analysis Society, Vol. 15, No. 1, pp. 263-275, 2013.
- S. J. Han and N. K. Song, "A study explora tory tabacco smoking experience in high school experience," Journal of Social Welfare Management, Vol. 2, No. 2, pp. 295-318, 2015.
- H. K. An, H. J. Lee, D. S. Jeong, S. Y. Lee, S. W. Kim, and J. H. Kang, "Tolerance Questio nnaire, FTQ and Fagerstrom Test for Nicotine Dependence, FTND)," Journal Korean Acad Fam Med, Vol. 23, No. 8, pp. 999-1008, 2002.
- S. J. Jang, S. B. Ko, D. M. Kang, S. A. Kim, K. K. Kim, and C. K. Lee, "Developing an Occupational Stress Scale for Korean Empl oyees," Annals of Occupational and Environmental Medicine, Vol. 17, No. 4, pp. 297-317, 2005.
- H. R. Yi, Development of the Sleep Quality Scale, Ewha Womans University, 2005.
- B. S. John, G. Olaf, T. F. Aasland, J. R. Babor, and M. G. Delafuebte, "Development of the Alcohol Use Disorders Identification Test (AUDIT): WHO Collaborative Project on Early Detection of Persons with Harmful Alcohol Consumption-II," Society For The Study of Addiction, 1993. doi:10.1111/j.1360-0443.1993.tb02093.x
- L. S. Radloff, "The CES-D scale. A self-report depression scale for research in the general population," Applied Psychological Measurement, Vol. 1, pp. 385-401, 1977. https://doi.org/10.1177/014662167700100306
- K. K. Chon and M. K. Lee, "Preliminary Development of Korean Version of CES-D," Korean Journal of Clinical Psychology, Vol. 11, No. 1, pp. 65-76, 1992.
- O. S. Kim, A. J. Kim, S. H. Kim, and S. H. Peak, "The Effects of Anxiety, Depression and Self-Esteem on Smoking and Nicotine Depe ndency Among Unmarried Woman Smokers," The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Adult Nursing, Vol. 13, No. 4, pp. 509-516, 2001.
- H. R. Kim, I. H. Park, and S. Y. Kang, "The Characteristics of Smoking Cessation Behavior by the Stage of Change in Indusrial Workers," Journal Korean Acad Community Health Nurs, Vol. 21, No. 1, pp. 63-70, 2010 https://doi.org/10.12799/jkachn.2010.21.1.63
- R. Basner, "shift-work sleep disorder the glass is more than half empty," The New England Journal of Medicine, Vol. 353, No. 5, pp. 519-521, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMe058121
- E. J. Kim, M, E, Kim, and K. R. Keun, "Comparison of Health Status and Sleep patterns between Shift Workers and Non-Shift Workers in Manufacturing Plants," Korean Journal of Occupational Health Nursing, Vol. 17, No. 1, pp. 45-54, 2008.
- J. S. Yim, Y. R. Heo, E. Jeong, and J. J. Lee, "Effect of working patterns on eating habits in manufacturing wrkers of Gwangju area," Journal of Nutrion and Health, Vol. 49, No. 6, pp. 495-505, 2016. https://doi.org/10.4163/jnh.2016.49.6.495
- S. J. Lee, S. G. Park, H. C. Kim, D. H. Lee, G. W. Kim, J. H. Leem, S. H. Jeon, and Y. S. Heo, "The Relationship between Job Stress and the Will tol Cease Tobacco Smoking for Small and Medium Scale Industry Male workers," Korean J Occup Environ, Vol. 24, No. 1, pp. 33-39, 2012.
- M. K. Kim, W. C. Lee, Y. M. Lee, J. H. You, H. C. Kim, S. W. You, and K. H. Nam, "Factors Associated with Quality on Sleep of Subway Workers by Shift-Work," Korean J Occupational Environmental Medicine, Vol. 20, No. 4, pp. 326-334, 2008.
- H. W. Jeong and Y. C. Kim, "A Study on Assessment of Stress at Work between White and Blue Collar Workers in Shipyard," Journal of the Korean Society of Safety, Vol. 30, No. 5, pp. 80-85, 2015.
- J. H. Jeong, S. B. Choi, W. Y. Jung, M. G. Byun, M. S. Park, Y. S. Kim, S. K. Kim, J. Chang, S. K. Kim, and Chiharu Yoshii. "Evalution of Social Nicotine Dependence Using the Kano Test for Social Nicotine Dependence (KTS ND-K) Questionnaire in Korea," Tuberculosis and Respiratory Diseases, Vol. 62, No. 5, pp. 365-373, 2007. https://doi.org/10.4046/trd.2007.62.5.365
- E. J. Jo and H. S. Kim, "Influencing Factors of Social Nicotine Dependence in University Students," The Korean Journal of Health Service Man agement, Vol. 9, No. 3, pp. 145-157, 2015. http://dx.doi.org/10.12811/kshsm.2015.9.3.145 https://doi.org/10.12811/kshsm.2015.9.3.145
- R. M. Youssef, S. A. Abou Khatwa, and H. M. Faoud, "Tobacco cessation in a population overage 15 years: a community-based survey in Alexandria," Eastern Mediterranean Health Journal, Vol. 11, No. 3, pp. 287-299, 2005.
- H. Y. Park and J. S. Kang, "Effect of Perceived Health-Related physical Risk and Negative Social Image of Smokers on Smokers' Feelings of Guilt Related to Smoking," Korean Journal of the science of Emotion & sensibility, Vol. 18, No. 4, pp. 99-108, 2015. https://doi.org/10.14695/KJSOS.2015.18.4.99
- B. I. Kim, T. H. Jeong, Y. J. Jang, H. M. Jin, and Y. J. Cho, "Relationship between Shift Work and Depression in Male Workers in an Car Prod uction Plant," Korean Journal of Family Practice, Vol. 6, No. 4, pp. 356-361, 2016. doi.org/10.21215/kjfp.2016.6.4.356 https://doi.org/10.21215/kjfp.2016.6.4.356
- D. H. Kim and G. J. Jea, "2006 drinking status of koreans," korea Drinking Culture and Alcohol Research, 2008.
- Korsha, 2012년 OSH RESEARCH BRIFEF, Vol. 6, No. 1, 2012.
- M. J. Jo, J. J. Nam, and E. J. Cheio, "A Study on the Impact of Korean Depression Level," Heal th and Social welfare Review, 1998.
- J. W. Park, Y. H. Sun, and M. S. NO, "The Relationship between Shift Work and Depre ssive Symptom," Korean J Fam pract, Vol. 6, No. 2, pp. 63-69, 2016. https://doi.org/10.21215/kjfp.2016.6.2.63