- Volume 17 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Relationship between Genre Centrality and Performance in the Motion Picture Industry
네트워크 중심성과 성과에 관한 연구: 영화산업을 중심으로
- Received : 2017.03.06
- Accepted : 2017.04.15
- Published : 2017.06.28
Existing researches on movie genre have been focusing on the relationship between a specific genre and performance of a movie. However, most of films cross into multiple genres and new approach is needed for analyzing a genre network. In this study social network analysis was used to analyze the genre centrality and its relationship with movie performance by developing a genre network, i.e. network among multiple genres constructed via genre co-occurrence pattern in a specific movie. Three index of genre centrality, eigenvector centrality, degree centrality, and bonacich power centrality, were tested for the valued genre network. Results showed that the relationship between genre centrality and movie performance appeared to be inverted U-shaped. This empirical finding is in line with the theory of ambidexterity which emphasizes the balance of exploration and exploitation. In addition, this study can provide practical implications for movie producers, distributors, and theaters that need to develop genre strategies.
Centrality;Genre;Movie Industry;Performance;Social Network Analysis
Supported by : 교육부, 한국연구재단
- D. Bjorkrgren, The Culture Business, Routledge, London, U.K, 1996.
- J. Strick, "The Economics of the Motion Picture Industry: A Survey," Philosophy of the Social Sciences, Vol. 8, pp. 406-417, 1978. https://doi.org/10.1177/004839317800800406
- P. DiMaggio, "Market Structures, the Creative Process, and Popular Culture," Journal of Popular Culture, Vol. 11, pp. 436-452, 1977. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.0022-3840.1977.00436.x
- C. Park, Y. Kim, and K. Kim, "Category Spanning and Audience Consensus on Audience Appeal," Korean Journal of Sociology, Vol. 45, No. 6, pp. 131-152, 2011.
- H. Rao, P. Monin, and R. Durand, "Border Crossing: Bricolage and the Erosion of Categorical Boundaries in French Gastronomy," American Sociological Review, Vol. 70, No. 6, pp. 968-991, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1177/000312240507000605
- E. W. Zuckerman, "The Categorical Imperative: Securities Analysts and the Illegitimacy Discount," American Journal of Sociology, Vol. 104, No. 5, pp. 1398-1438, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1086/210178
- B. R. Litman, "Predicting Success of Theatrical Movies: An Empirical Study," Journal of Popular Culture, Vol. 16, pp. 159-175, 1983. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.0022-3840.1983.1604_159.x
- B. R. Litman and L. S. Kohl, "Predicting Financial Success of Motion Pictures: The '80s Experience," Journal of Media Economics, Vol. 2, No. 2, pp. 35-50, 1989. https://doi.org/10.1080/08997768909358184
- S. Sochay, "Predicting the Performance of Motion Pictures," Journal of Media Economics, Vol. 7, pp. 1-20, 1994.
- 이양환, 장병희, 박경우, "국가 간 영화흥행요인 비교를 위한 탐색적 연구: 한국과 미국 영화시장에서 미국 영화의 흥행요인 비교를 중심으로," 언론과학연구, 제7권, 제1호, pp. 185-222, 2007.
- 박형현, 박찬수, "영화 평론과 흥행 성과 간의 관계: 인터넷 시대에도 유효한가?," 마케팅연구, 제16권, 제4호, pp. 71-85, 2001.
- 김우식, "연결망을 통한 문화적 범주의 확장: 한국 영화배우들의 경우," 한국사회학, 제38권, 제2호, pp. 135-163, 2004.
- E. W. Zuckerman, T. Y. Kim, K. Ukanwa, and J. V. Rittmann, "Robust Identities or Nonentities? Typecasting in the Feature-Film Labor Market," American Journal of Sociology, Vol. 108, pp. 1018-1073, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1086/377518
- D. J. Phillips and E. W. Zuckerman, "Middle-Status Conformity: Theoretical Restatement and Empirical Demonstration in Two Markets," American Journal of Sociology, Vol. 107, pp. 379-429, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1086/324072
- 김관우, 박찬웅, "시장의 범주 확장과 지위:미국 영화 산업, 1999-2010," 한국사회학, 제46권, 제5호, pp. 115-139, 2012.
- G. Hsu, M. T. Hannan, and O. Kocak, "Multiple Category Memberships in Markets: An Integrative Theory and Two Empirical Tests," American Sociological Review, Vol. 74, No. 1, pp. 150-169, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1177/000312240907400108
- G. Negro, M. T. Hannan, and H. Rao, "Categorical Contrast and Audience Appeal: Niche Width and Critical Success in Winemaking," Industrial and Corporate Change, Vol. 19, No. 5, pp. 1397-1425, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1093/icc/dtq003
- G. R. Carroll and A. Swaminathan, "Why the Microbrewery Movement? Organizational Dynamics of Resource Partitioning in the U.S. Brewing Industry," American Journal of Sociology, Vol. 106, No. 3, pp. 715-762, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1086/318962
- 안성아, 김태준, "영화 개봉점유율과 관객감소율의 영향 요인 분석," 마케팅연구, 제18권, 제3호, pp. 1-17, 2003.
- 김소영, 임승희, 정예슬, "영화 유형별 영화 흥행성과 예측 요인의 비교 연구: 예술 영화와 상업 영화 비교를 중심으로," 한국콘텐츠학회논문지, 제10권, 제2호, pp. 381-393, 2010.
- J. Galaskiewicz, "Studying Supply Chains from a Social Network Perspective," Journal of Supply Chain Management, Vol. 47, No. 1, pp. 4-8, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1745-493X.2010.03209.x
- W. Goldman, Adventures in the Screen Trade, Scribner, New York, 1983.
- G. Cattani and S. Ferriani, "A Core/Periphery Perspective on Individual Creative Performance: Social Networks and Cinematic Achievements in the Hollywood Film Industry," Organization Science, Vol. 19, No. 6, pp. 824-844, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1287/orsc.1070.0350
- S. Ferriani, G. Cattani, and C. Baden-Fuller, "The Relational Antecedents of Project entrepreneurship: Network Centrality, Team Composition and Project Performance," Research Policy, Vol. 38, No. 10, pp. 1545-1558, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.respol.2009.09.001
- K. V. Anderson, "Social Networks, Preferences, and Performance," DRUID Summer Conference 2009, pp. 1-32, 2009.
- 김학용, "네트워크 기반 2000년대 한국영화의 관객 동원력 분석," 한국콘텐츠학회논문지, 제11권, 제1호, pp. 429-437, 2011.
- R. Faulkner and A. Anderson, "Short-Term Projects and Emergent Careers: Evidence from Hollywood," American Journal of Sociology, Vol. 92, No. 4, pp. 879-909, 1987. https://doi.org/10.1086/228586
- W. E. Baker and R. Faulkner, "Role as Resource in the Hollywood Film Industry," American Journal of Sociology, Vol. 97, pp. 279-309, 1991. https://doi.org/10.1086/229780
- P. Hirsch, "Processing Fads and Fashions: An Organization-set Analysis of Cultural Industry System," American Journal of Sociology, Vol. 77, No. 4, pp. 639-659, 1972. https://doi.org/10.1086/225192
- J. Lampel, T. Lant, and J. Shamsie, "Balancing Act: Learning from Organizing Practices in Cultural Industries," Organizational Science, Vol. 11, No. 3, pp. 263-269, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1287/orsc.11.3.263.12503
- J. M. Mezias and S. J. Mezias, "Resource Partitioning, the Founding of Specialist Firms, and Innovation: The American Feature Film Industry, 1912-1929," Organizational Science, Vol. 11, No. 3, pp. 306-322, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1287/orsc.11.3.306.12504
- J. G. March, "Exploration and Exploitation in Organizational Learning," Organization Science, Vol. 2, pp. 71-87, 1991. https://doi.org/10.1287/orsc.2.1.71
- Z. He and P. K. Wong, "Exploration vs. Exploitation: An Empirical Test of Ambidexterity," Organization Science, Vol. 15, pp. 481-494, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1287/orsc.1040.0078
- M. L. Tushman and C. A. O'Reilly, "Ambidextrous Organizations: Managing Evolutionary and Revolutionary Change," California Management Review, Vol. 38, No. 4, pp. 8-30, 1996.
- J. J. Jansen, F. A. Van den Bosch, and H. W. Volberda, "Exploratory Innovation, Exploitative Innovation, and Ambidexterity: The Impact of Environmental and Organizational Antecedents," Schmalenbach Business Review, Vol. 57, pp. 351-363, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF03396721
- C. A. O'Reilly and M. L. Tushman, "Ambidexterity as a Dynamic Capability: Resolving the Innovator's Dilemma," Research in Organizational Behavior, Vol. 28, pp. 185-206, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.riob.2008.06.002
- M. Bagella and L. Becchetti, "The Determinants of Motion Picture Box Office Performance: Evidence from Movies Produced in Italy?," Journal of Cultural Economics, Vol. 23, pp. 237-256, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1007579421768
- A. De Vany and W. Walls, "Uncertainty in the Movie Industry: Does Star Power Reduce the Terror of the Box Office?," Journal of Cultural Economics, Vol. 23, pp. 285-318, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1007608125988
- A. Collins, C. Hand, and M. C. Snell, "What Makes a Blockbuster? Economic Analysis of Film Success in the United Kingdom," Managerial and Decision Economics, Vol. 23, pp. 343-354, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1002/mde.1069
- S. P. Borgatti, M. G. Everett, and J. C. Johnson, Analyzing Social Networks, SAGE, London, U.K, 2013.
- S. M. Brewer, J. M. Kelley, and J. J. Jozefowicz, "A Blueprint for Success in the US Film Industry," Applied Economics, Vol. 41, No. 5, pp. 589-606, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1080/00036840601007351
- 유현석, "한국영화의 흥행 요인에 관한 연구: 제작 관련 변수를 중심으로," 한국언론학보, 제46권 제3호, pp. 183-213, 2002.
- J. S. Simonoff and I. R. Sparrow, "Predicting Movie Grosses: Winners and Losers, Blockbusters and Sleepers," Chance, Vol. 13, No. 3, pp. 15-24, 2000.
- J. Prag and J. Casavant, "An Empirical Study of the Determinants of Revenues and Marketing Expenditures in the Motion Picture Industry," Journal of Cultural Economics, Vol. 18, pp. 217-227, 1994. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01080227
- J. Eliashberg and S. Shugan, "Film Critics: Influencers or Predictors?," Journal of Marketing, Vol. 61, pp. 68-78, 1997.
- J. Lampel and J. Shamsie, "Capabilities in Motion: New Organizational Forms and the Reshaping of the Hollywood Movie Industry," Journal of Management Studies, Vol. 40, No. 8, pp. 2189-2210, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1467-6486.2003.00417.x
- B. R. Litman and H. Ahn, "Predicting Financial Success of Motion Pictures: The Early '90s Experience," In B. R. Litman (Ed.), Motion Picture Mega-industry (172-197), Needham Heights, MA: Allyn & Bacon, 1998.
- S. A. Ravid, "Information, Blockbusters, and Stars: A Study of the Film Industry," The Journal of Business, Vol. 72, No. 4, pp. 463-492, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1086/209624
- S. P. Smith and V. K. Smith, "Successful Movies: A Preliminary Empirical Analysis," Applied Economics, Vol. 18, No. 5, pp. 501-507, 1986. https://doi.org/10.1080/00036848608537445
- E. Deuchert, K. Adjamah, and F. Pauly, "For Oscar Glory or Oscar Money?," Journal of Cultural Economics, Vol. 29, No. 3, pp. 159-176, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10824-005-3338-6
- W. T. Wallace, A. Seigerman, and M. B. Holbrook, "The Role of Actors and Actresses in the Success of Films: How Much is a Movie Star Worth?," Journal of Cultural Economics, Vol. 17, No. 1, pp. 1-27, 1993.
- J. Wyatt, "High Concept, Product Differentiation, and the Contemporary US Film Industry," Current Research in Film, Vol. 5, pp. 86-105, 1991.
- R. Neelamegham and P. K. Chintagunta, "A Bayesian Model to Forecast New Product Performance in Domestic and International Markets," Marketing Science, Vol. 18, No. 2, pp. 115-136, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1287/mksc.18.2.115
- M. S. Sawhney, S. Mohanbir, and J. Eliashberg, "A Parsimonious Model for Forecasting Gross Box-office Revenues of Motion Pictures," Marketing Science, Vol. 15, No. 2, pp. 113-131, 1996. https://doi.org/10.1287/mksc.15.2.113