- Volume 17 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Estimation of Fingerprint Image Quality in Accordance with Photographing Conditions
촬영 조건에 따른 지문 사진의 품질에 관한 연구
- 유제설 (순천향대학교 법과학대학원) ;
- 전소영 (순천향대학교 법과학대학원) ;
- 김규연 (순천향대학교 법과학대학원) ;
- 김지연 (순천향대학교 법과학대학원) ;
- 김채원 (순천향대학교 법과학대학원) ;
- 장윤식 (한림대학교 국제학부)
- Received : 2017.02.20
- Accepted : 2017.04.24
- Published : 2017.06.28
This study is aimed at observing effects of fingerprint image quality on various photographing conditions in the aspect of resolution. Discrimination between two friction ridges plays an important role in the value of fingerprint image, and it can be confirmed with quantification of pixels of boundary region which is existing between two friction ridges. In this study, several factors were estimated with same fingerprint image using Adobe photoshop CS 6 for analysis: changes of image quality by ISO, movement when photographing, and photographers' experience and skill. Consequently, there was no significant change of image quality by ISO. Furthermore, there was no significant difference in the hand-held images between crime scene investigators and laymen, yet there was significant difference between hand-held images and images using tripod in the aspect of resolution. This study shows that using tripod is very important in forensic fingerprint photography through empirical methods.
Resolution;Fingerprint Image;Tripod;ISO;Focal Length;Fingerprint
Supported by : 순천향대학교
- D. Maltoni, D. Maio, A. Jain, and S. Prabhakar, Handbook of fingerprint recognition, Springer Science & Business Media, 2009.
- P. Komarinski, Automated fingerprint identification systems (AFIS), Academic Press, 2005.
- National criminal justice reference service, The fingerprint sourcebook, Createspace independent pub, 2014.
- 박형주, 하동환, "객관적인 화질 평가 방법에 관한 연구," 한국콘텐츠학회논문지, 제12권, 제8호, pp. 87-95, 2012.
- Jr. J. H. Anderson, Admissibility of Photographs as Evidence, North Carolina Law Review, 1929.
- J. L. Mnookin, "The Image of Truth: Photographic Evidence and the Power of Analogy," Yale JL & Human, Vol. 10, 1998.
- 김유진, "디지털사진의 법적 증거 사용을 위한 가 이드라인," 과학수사학, Vol. 5, No. 2, pp. 165-175, 2011.
- T. Thompson, "The role of the photograph in the application of forensic anthropology and the interpretation of clandestine scenes of crime," Photography and Culture, Vol. 1, No. 2, pp. 165-184, 2008. https://doi.org/10.2752/175145208X373752
- 조형우, 법사진의 증거가치 향상을 위한 디지털 처리과정에서의 진정성 및 무결성 확보에 관한 연구, 순천향대학교 법과학대학원, 석사학위논문, 2016.
- D. Sharma and P. Abrol, "Digital Image Tampering-A Threat to Security Management," International Journal of Advanced Research in Computer and Communication Engineering, Vol. 2, No. 10, pp. 4120-4123, 2013.
- S. Z. Li and A. Jain, Encyclopedia of biometrics, Springer Publishing Company, Incorporated, 2015.
- 하동환, 박형주, "디지털카메라의 노이즈감소기능이 이미지 해상도에 미치는 영향," 한국콘텐츠학회논문지, 제9권, 제5호, pp. 91-98, 2009.
- H. L. Blitzer, K. Stein-Ferguson, and J. Huang, Understanding forensic digital imaging, Academic Press, 2008.
- 김채원, 지문감식 및 감정절차상 문제점과 개선 방안에 관한 연구, 순천향대학교 법과학대학원, 석사학위논문, 2017.
- SWGIT, SWGIT Guideline Section8; General gudelines for capturing latent impression using a digital camera, version 1.3, 2010.
- B. Warren, Digital Photography, Cengage Learning, 2012.
- J. A. King, Nikon D90 for Dummies, John Wiley & Sons, 2009.
- E. M. Robinson, Crime scene photography, Academic Press, 2009.