- Volume 17 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Changes in Anxiety and Vital Signs of Scaling Patients
스케일링 전과 후의 불안 및 Vital Sign 변화
- Received : 2017.02.17
- Accepted : 2017.03.27
- Published : 2017.06.28
The purpose of this study was to investigate the changes in the vital signs and anxiety reactions during scaling to patients who had received the dental hygiene treatment at department of Dental Hygiene in a university. A total of 189 patients were participated in the study. The level of anxiety was assessed through a dental anxiety questionnaire consisting of dental fear survey scale and dental anxiety survey scale. The vital signs were measured before and after scaling. The obtained results were as follows. The level of anxiety before scaling was 2.16 and after scaling was 1.96. This was significantly higher in women. The pulse and systolic blood pressure after scaling significantly decreased from 77.48 times to 74.36 times per minute and from 124.96 mmHg to 122.50 mmHg respectively. These changes are within the normal physiological variations. Individual changes in respiration, pulse, blood pressure, body temperature are affected by age, gender and previous dental experience, but previous scaling experience. The level of anxiety was significantly explained by respiration before scaling and pulse after scaling. As a result, scaling was associated with dental anxiety reactions and changes in vital signs.
- P. Milgrom, L. Fiset, S. Melinick, and P. Weinstein, "The Prevalence and Practice Management Consequences of Dental Fear in a Major U.S City," J. of American Dental Association, Vol. 116, No. 6, pp. 641-647, 1988. https://doi.org/10.14219/jada.archive.1988.0030
- M. S. Cho and H. S. Lee, "Dental Hygiene Fears(DHF) and Related Factors in Young Scaling Patients," J. of Korean Society Hygienic Sciences, Vol. 14, No. 2, pp. 127-135, 2008.
- H. S. Kim, Effect of Earplugs for Diminishing Noise Causing Uneasiness of Patients When Removing Tartar: Focused on Change of Vital Signs, Unpublished master's thesis, Kyung Hee University, 2009.
- K. Hanato, T. Oyama, Y. Kogure, I. Ohkura, and R. Spintge, "Anxiolytic Effect of Music on Dental Treatment, Part 1 Subjective and Objective Evaluation," J. of the Japanese Society for Dental Anesthesiology, Vol. 11, No. 3, pp. 332-337, 1983.
- C. J. Kim and H. K. Hur, "Coping Style and Trait Anxiety in Cardiac Catherization Patiens," J. of Korean Academic Nursing, Vol. 35, No. 1, pp. 81-93, 1996.
- M. S. Cho, "Dental Hygiene Treatment Fear, Anxiety and Related Factors in Dental Patients," J. of Korean Academy of Dental Hygiene Education, Vol. 6, No. 4, pp. 419-436, 2006.
- M. S. Cho and S. K. Lee, "Development of Measurement Scale for Korean Scaling Fear-1.0 and Related Factors," J. of Dental Hygiene Science, Vol. 9, No. 3, pp. 327-338, 2009.
- K. A. Oh and C. J. Ahn, "The Effects of Nursing Information and Short-term Relaxation Technique on Anxiety Level and Physiologic Data in Endoscopy Patients," J. of Korean Academic Society of Adult Nursing, Vol. 9, No. 2, pp. 462-479, 1997.
- S. S. Bae, "Relationship between Dental Anxiety and Self-efficacy that Patients Feel While Dental Hygienist Conduct Scaling," J. of Korean Academy Dental Hygiene Education, Vol. 9, No. 3, pp. 479-492, 2009.
- M. Hwang, S. H. Kim, and K. H. Lee, "The Effects of Depression and Anxiety on Pain in Ultrasonic Scaling Treatment," J. of Korean Society of Dental Hygiene, Vol. 14, No. 3, pp. 439-446, 2014. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2014.14.03.439
- H. J. Kim, Effect of Scaling Counselling on Dental Fear and Pain, Unpublished master's thesis, Yeungnam University, 2013.
- G. K. McFarland and E. A. McFarlane, Nursing Diagnosis and Intervention: Planning for Patient Care, Mosby, 1997.
- A. S. Bellack and M. E. Hersen, Behavioral Assessment: A Practical Handbook, Allyn and Bacon, 1988.
- S. Sanikop, P. Agrawal, and S. Patil, "Relationship between Dental Anxiety and Pain Perception during Scaling," J. of Oral Science, Vol. 53, No. 3, pp. 341-348, 2011. https://doi.org/10.2334/josnusd.53.341
- Z. Y. Ay, D. Gundogar, S. Buyukozturk, and C. G. Amyot, "Dental Hygiene Fear Survey: Reliability and Validity of the Turkish Version," J. of Dental Education, Vol. 72, No. 2, pp. 183-194, 2008.
- A. D. Jongh and M. E. A. Stouthard, "Anxiety about Dental Hygienist Treatment," Community Dentistry and Oral Epidemiology, Vol. 21, No. 2, pp. 91-95, 1993. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0528.1993.tb00728.x
- M. Hakeberg and L. Cunha, "Dental Anxiety and Pain Related to Dental Hygienist Treatment," Acta Odontologica Scandinavica, Vol. 66, No. 6, pp. 374-379, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1080/00016350802415175
- M. J. L. Sullivan and N. R. Neish, "Catastrophizing, Anxiety and Pain during Dental Hygiene Treatment," Community Dentistry and Oral Epidemiology, Vol. 26, No. 5, pp. 344-349, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0528.1998.tb01971.x
- C. F. Canakci and V. Canakci, "Pain Experienced by Patients Undergoing Different Periodontal Therapies," J. of the American Dental Association, Vol. 138, No. 12, pp. 1563-1573, 2007. https://doi.org/10.14219/jada.archive.2007.0105
- E. Guzeldemir, H. U. Toygar, and U. Cilasun, "Pain Perception and Anxiety during Scaling in Periodontally Healthy Subjects," J. of Periodontology, Vol. 79, No. 12, pp. 2247-2255, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1902/jop.2008.080152
- J. S. Choi, Effect of Dental Fear on Utilization of Dental Services, Unpublished Ph.D. thesis, Inje University, Gyeongnam, 2006.
- M. Hakeberg, U. Berggren, and H. G. Grondah, "A Radiographic Study of Dental Health in Adult Patients with Dental Anxiety," Community Dentistry and Oral Epidemiology, Vol. 21, No. 1, pp. 27-30, 1993. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0528.1993.tb00714.x
- A. Liddel and B. May, "Some Characteristics of Regularand Irregular Attenders for Dental Check-ups," British J. of Clinical Psychology, Vol. 23, pp. 19-26, 1984. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.2044-8260.1984.tb00622.x
- J. M. Holtzman, R. G. Berg, J. Mann, and D. B. Berkey, "The Relationship of Age and Gender to Fear and Anxiety in Response to Dental Care," Special Care in Dentistry, Vol. 17, No. 3, pp. 82-87, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1754-4505.1997.tb00873.x
- R. A. Kleinknecht, R. K. Klepac, and L. D. Alexander, "Origins and Characteristics of Fear of Dentistry," J. of the American Dental Association, Vol. 86, No. 4, pp. 842-848, 1973. https://doi.org/10.14219/jada.archive.1973.0165
- C. G. A. Cynthia and B. W. Karen, "Dental Hygiene Fear: Gender and Age Differences," J. of Contemporary Dental Practice, Vol. 1, No. 2, pp. 1-11, 2000.
- D. A. Grant, T. Lie, S. M. Clark, and D. F. Adams, "Pain and Discomfort Levels in Patients during Root Surface Debridement with Sonic Metal or Plastic Inserts," J. of Periodontol, Vol. 64, No. 7, pp. 645-650, 1993. https://doi.org/10.1902/jop.1922.214.171.1245
- J. J. Kim and H. G. Heo, "Coping Style and Trait Anxiety in Cardiac Catherization Patiens," The Korean Nurse, Vol. 35, No. 1, pp. 81-93, 1996.
- S. T. Hong, "The Effects of Music Therapy on Vital Sign Changes of Operational Patients," J. of Korean Academy of Nursing, Vol. 24, No. 3, pp. 377-388, 1994.
- A. R. Hwang, "Physiological Response to Stress," The Korean Nurse, Vol. 23, No. 4, pp. 38-47, 1984.
- S. Y. Park, Dental Fear and Anxiety Levels of Middle School Students, Unpublished master's thesis, Hanyang university, 2009.
- H. S. Kim, Effect of Earplugs for Diminishing Noise Causing Uneasiness of Patients When Removing Tarta, Unpublished master's thesis, Kyung Hee University, 2009.
- H. S. Brand, J. H. A. van der Wal, C. C. R. Palmer-Bouva, and D. R. de Vries, "Cardiovascular Changes during Subgingival Debridement," International Dental Journal, Vol. 47, No. 2, pp. 110-114, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1875-595X.1997.tb00685.x
- H. S. Brand, "Cardiovascular Responses in Patients and Dentists during Dental Treatment," International Dental Journal, Vol. 49, pp. 60-66, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1875-595X.1999.tb00509.x
- J. E. Elter, R. P. Strauss, and J. D. Beck, "Assessing Dental Anxiety, Dental Care Use and Oral Status in Older Adults," J. of American Dental association, Vol. 128, No. 5, pp. 591-597, 1997. https://doi.org/10.14219/jada.archive.1997.0258
- J. S. Choi, S. J. Han, M. J. Lee, and G. S. Han, "Factors Associated with the Dental Fear Level and Sub-factors of the Dental Fear Survey Scale," J. of Korean Acad Dent Health, Vol. 33, No. 1, 2009.