- Volume 17 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Factors Associated with Falls in the Elderly : Based on 2014 the Korean Elderly Survey
노인의 낙상에 영향을 미치는 요인 : 2014년 노인실태조사를 중심으로
- 김민주 (동아대학교 간호학과)
- Received : 2017.02.17
- Accepted : 2017.05.09
- Published : 2017.06.28
The purpose of this study was to identify factors associated with falls among older adults. This cross-sectional study used the data of 10,272 older adults who participating in the Korean Elderly survey, including demographic and health related characteristics. The data were analyzed with complex samples in SPSS ver. 23.0. The results of multiple logistic regression analysis showed that age (OR=1.262, 95%CI 1.111-1.433), education (OR=0.846, 95%CI 0.764-0.937), subjective health status (OR=1.172, 95% CI 1.041-1.320; OR=1.422, 95%CI 1.289-1.570), number of chronic illness (OR=1.438, 95%CI 1.050-1.968), number of medications (OR=0.798, 95%CI 0.659-0.967), muscle strength of low extremities (OR=1.260, 95%CI 1.101-1.441), and fear of falling (OR=3.576, 95%CI 3.166-4.039; OR=14.236, 95%CI 12.637-16.038)were significantly associated with fall accidents in the elderly. Thus, it is necessary to develop fall prevention program to reduce fear of falling and improve health status in the elderly.
Fall;Elderly;Health Status;Fear of Falling
Supported by : 동아대학교
- J. Fleming and C. Brayne, "Inability to get up after falling, subsequent time on floor, and summoning help: prospective cohort study in people over 90," BMJ, Vol. 337, p.a2227, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.a2227
- D. A. Sterling, J. A. O'Connor, and J. Bonadies, "Geriatric falls: injury severity is high and disproportionate to mechanism," Journal of Trauma, Vol. 50, No. 1, pp. 116-119, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1097/00005373-200101000-00021
- P. Dargent-Molina and G. Breart, "Epidemiology of falls and fall-related injuries in the aged," Revue d'Epidemiologie et de Sante Publique, Vol. 43, No. 1, pp. 72-83, 1995.
- J. Y. Lim, W. B. Park, M. K. Oh, E. K. Kang, and N. J. Paik, "Falls in a proportional region population in Korean elderly: Incidence, consequences, and risk factors," Journal of Korean Geriatric Society, Vol. 14, No. 1, pp. 8-17, 2010. https://doi.org/10.4235/jkgs.2010.14.1.8
- P. A. Stalenhoef, J. P. Diederiks, J. A. Knottnerus, A. D. Kester, and H. F. Crebolder, "A risk model for the prediction of recurrent falls in community-dwelling elderly: A prospective cohort study," Journal of Clinical Epidemiology, Vol. 55, No. 11, pp. 1088-1094, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0895-4356(02)00502-4
- V. S. Stel, J. H. Smit, S. M. Pluijm, and P. Lips, "Consequences of falling in older men and women and risk factors for health service use and functional decline," Age Ageing, Vol. 33, No. 1, pp. 58-65, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1093/ageing/afh028
- 염지혜, "한국노인의 낙상경험이 사망에 미치는 영향," 노인복지연구, 제68권, pp. 389-408, 2015.
- A. F. Ambrose, G. Paul, and J. M. Hausdorff, "Risk factors for falls among older adults: a review of the literature," Maturitas, Vol. 75, No. 1, pp. 51-61, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.maturitas.2013.02.009
- E. J. Choi, S. A. Kim, N. R. Kim, J. A. Rhee, Y. W. Yun, and M. H. Shin, "Risk factors for falls in older Korean adults: The 2011 Community Health Survey," Journal of Korean Medical Science, Vol. 29, No. 11, pp. 1482-1487, 2014. https://doi.org/10.3346/jkms.2014.29.11.1482
- S. Deandrea, F. Bravi, F. Turati, E. Lucenteforte, C. La Vecchia, and E. Negri, "Risk factors for falls in older people in nursing homes and hospitals. A systematic review and meta-analysis," Archives of Gerontology and Geriatrics, Vol. 56, No. 3, pp. 407-415, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.archger.2012.12.006
- 이안생, 윤치근, "노인전문병원 입원환자의 낙상 위험 요인분석-낙상 보고서를 중심으로," 한국자료분석학회지, 제12권, 제5호, pp. 2511-2523, 2010.
- 염지혜, 나항진, "한국노인의 낙상 요인 연구," 한국노년학, 제32권, 제2호, pp. 577-592, 2012.
- 신경림, 강윤희, 정덕유, 김미영, 윤은숙, 마예원, "지역사회 여성노인의 인지기능에 따른 낙상발생 빈도, 낙상두려움 및 지각된 건강상태," 한국노년학, 제31권, 제4호, pp. 1155-1167, 2011.
- 정영미, 이성은, 정길수, "재가노인의 건강상태에 따른 낙상실태 및 낙상관련요인," 한국노년학, 제26권, 제2호, pp. 291-303, 2006.
- 김세정, 이윤미, "종합병원에 입원한 노인환자의 낙상위험요인," 한국자료분석학회지, 제16권, 제4호, pp. 2191-2203, 2014.
- R. G. Cumming, G. Salkeld, M. Thomas, and G. Szonyi, "Prospective study of the impact of fear of falling on activities of daily living, SF-36 scores, and nursing home admission," Journals of Gerontology. Series A, Biological Sciences and Medical Sciences, Vol. 55, No. 5, pp. M299-305, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1093/gerona/55.5.M299
- K. Delbaere, G. Crombez, G. Vanderstraeten, T. Willems, and D. Cambier, "Fear-related avoidance of activities, falls and physical frailty. A prospective community-based cohort study," Age Ageing, Vol. 33, No. 4, pp. 368-373, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1093/ageing/afh106
- A. C. Scheffer, M. J. Schuurmans, N. van Dijk, T. van der Hooft, and S. E. de Rooij, "Fear of falling: Measurement strategy, prevalence, risk factors and consequences among older persons," Age Ageing, Vol. 37, No. 1, pp. 19-24, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1093/ageing/afm169
- 강민재, 임형택, 김성수, 대한안과학회 역학조사위원회, "시력과 낙상: 국민건강영양조사 2008-2012," 대한안과학회지, 제57권, 제9호, pp. 1451-1459, 2016.
- 전민재, 전혜선, 이충휘, 신헌석, "노인 낙상군과 노인 비낙상군의 비교: 균형능력과 우울감 및 삶의 질," 한국전문물리치료학회지, 제21권, 제3호, pp. 45-54, 2014.
- D. P. Kiel, P. O'Sullivan, J. M. Teno, and V. Mor, "Health care utilization and functional status in the aged following a fall," Medical Care, Vol. 29, No. 3, pp. 221-228, 1991. https://doi.org/10.1097/00005650-199103000-00004
- B. J. Vellas, S. J. Wayne, L. J. Romero, R. N. Baumgartner, and P. J. Garry, "Fear of falling and restriction of mobility in elderly fallers," Age Ageing, Vol. 26, No. 3, pp. 189-193, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1093/ageing/26.3.189
- 유인영, "RAI-HC를 이용한 노인의 다면적 재낙상 위험요인 분석-1회 낙상자와 재낙상자 비교," 대한간호학회지, 제41권, 제1호, pp. 119-128, 2011.
- 김종민, 이명선, "우리나라 65세 이상 노인들의 낙상사고 관련 요인," 보건교육.건강증진학회지, 제24권, 제4호, pp. 23-39, 2007.
- 원장원, 노용균, 선우덕, 이영수, "한국형 일상생활활동 측정도구의 타당도와 신뢰도," 대한노인병학회지, 제6권 제4호, pp. 273-280, 2002.
- T. H. Kim, J. H. Jhoo, J. H. Park, J. L. Kim, S. H. Ryu, S. W. Moon, I. H. Choo, D. W. Lee, J. C. Yoon, Y. J. Do, S. B. Lee, M. D. Kim, and K. W. Kim, "Korean version of mini mental status examination for dementia screening and its' short form," Psychiatry Investigation, Vol. 7, No. 2, pp. 102-108, 2010. https://doi.org/10.4306/pi.2010.7.2.102
- M. Rafiq, A. McGovern, S. Jones, K. Harris, C, Tomson, H. Gallagher, and S. de Lusignan, "Falls in the elderly were predicted opportunistically using a decision tree and systematically using a database-driven screening tool," Journal of Clinical Epidemiology, Vol. 67, No. 8, pp. 877-886, 2004.
- A. M. Hedman, E. Fonad, and H. Sandmark, "Older people living at home: associations between falls and health complaints in men and women," Journal of Clinical Nursing, Vol. 22, No. 19-20, pp. 2945-2952, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1111/jocn.12279
- H. W. Lach and J. L. Parsons, "Impact of fear of falling in long term care: An integrative review," Journal of the American Medical Directors Association, Vol. 14, No. 8, pp. 573-577, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jamda.2013.02.019
- S. M. Pluijm, J. H. Smit, E. A. Tromp, V. S. Stel, D. J. Deeg, L. M. Bouter, and P. Lips, "A risk profile for identifying community-dwelling elderly with a high risk of recurrent falling: Results of a 3-year prospective study," Osteoporosis International, Vol. 17, No. 3, pp. 417-425, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00198-005-0002-0