- Volume 17 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Inter-country Analysis on the Financial Determinants of Corporate Cash Holdings for the Large Firms With Headquarters in the U.S. and Korea
한국과 미국 대기업들의 현금유동성 보유수준에 대한 재무적 결정요인 분석
- 김한준 (호서대학교 사회과학대학 경영학부)
- Received : 2017.05.24
- Accepted : 2017.06.12
- Published : 2017.06.28
This study investigated one of the controversial issues on debate or even controversial between policy makers at the government and corporate levels: To examine any financial determinants on the cash holdings of the firms in the advanced and emerging capital markets. Futhermore, it focused on the large representative firms headquartered in the U.S. and the Republic of Korea, taking into account scarcity of the previous literature concentrated on the comparative studies on this particular subject. Several legitimate, but robust econometric estimations such as static and dynamic panel data models and Tobit regression, were applied to investigate possible financial factors ono the cash liquidity. Given the continued debates or arguments on the excess cash reserves between interest partied at the government and corporate levels in the advanced and/or emerging capital markets, and more accelerated capital transfers among associated nations by engaging in the arrangements of the FTAs, the results of the study may provide a vision to search for the optimal level of corporate cash holdings for firms in the two nations.
Cash Holdings;Financial Determinants;U.S. Capital Markets;Korean Capital Markets;Panel Data Models;Tobit Regression Model
Supported by : National Research Foundation of Korea
- C. Horioka and A. Terada-Hagiwara, "Corporate Cash Holding in Asia," Asian Economic Journal, pp. 323-345, Vol. 28, No. 4, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1111/asej.12039
- Y. Lian, M. Sepehri, and M. Foley, "Corporate Cash Holdings and Financial Crisis: An Empirical Study of Chinese Companies," Eurasian Business Review, pp.,112-124, Vol. 1, No. 2, 2011.
- H. Kim, "Financial Determinants of Profitability Indicators for the Firms Listed in the KOSPI Market," J. of International Trade & Commerce, Vol. 10, No. 2, pp. 169-196, 2014. https://doi.org/10.16980/jitc.10.2.201404.169
- Z. Serraqueiro, "Growth and Profitability in Portuguese Companies: A Dynamic Panel Data Analysis," Economic Interferences, Vol. 11, No. 26, pp. 565-572, 2009.
- M. Arellano and S. Bond, "Some Tests of Specification for Panel Data: Monte Carlo Evidence and an Application to Employment Equations," Review of Economic Studies, Vol. 58, No. 2, pp. 277-297, 1991. https://doi.org/10.2307/2297968
- H. Kim, "Categorical Financial Analyses on the Level of Corporate Cash Reserves for the Korean Chaebol Firms in the Post-Era of the Global Financial Crisis," J. of the Korea Contents Association, Vol. 16, No. 2, pp. 729-739, 2016.
- H. Kim, "Contemporary Financial Profile and Its Implications on the Level of Corporate Cash Holdings for Korean Chaebol Firms," Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial Cooperation Society, Vol. 16, No. 6, pp. 3870-3881, 2015. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.6.3870
- H. Kim, "Further Investigations on the Financial Characteristics of Cash Reserves for the Chaebol Firms in the Korean Capital Markets," J. of the Korea Contents Association, Vol. 15, No. 7, pp. 436-448, 2015.
- B. Al-Najjar, "The Determinants of Corporate Cash Holdings: Evidence from Some Emerging Markets," International Business Review, Vol. 22, pp. 77-88, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ibusrev.2012.02.004
- M. Jensen, "Agency Costs of Free Cash Flow, Corporate Finance and Takeovers," American Economic Review, Vol. 76, pp. 323-329, 1986.