- Volume 17 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
The Effect of Nonpharmacologic Interventions on Behavioral and Psychological Symptoms of Dementia : A Meta-Analysis
치매환자의 행동심리증상에 비약물적 중재가 미치는 효과 - 메타분석
- Received : 2017.02.22
- Accepted : 2017.03.27
- Published : 2017.06.28
To investigate a variety of nonpharmacologic interventions have confirmed what the symptoms and effects, mainly interventions by acting on behavioral and psychological symptoms of dementia was conducted a meta-analysis. Data were collected from online search engines using search words from domestic and foreign article database. The researcher independently and among the pre-post experimental studies published from January 2000 to June 2016, recalled applying for the elderly with dementia presents the effect of treatment group and the control group RCT in this study were included in the study. The results of this meta-analysis showed that, effect size of the nonpharmacologic interventions of total -0.33, occupational therapy - 0.26, multi-sensory stimulation intervention -0.65 was significant beneficial effects to elderly with dementia(p<.05). According to interventions as a major affected the symptoms associated with behavioral problems, mainly aggression, memory-related problem behavior in the home-based program. Also, reminiscence therapy and occupational therapy is generally apathy, multi-sensory stimulation and music therapy was confirmed that there was a major change in behavior anxiety or agitation. The results of this study confirmed that various nonpharmacologic interventions were effective on behavioral psychological symptoms of dementia patients and confirmed the main symptoms of intervention.
Behavioral and Psychological Symptoms of Dementia(BPSD);Dementia;Nonpharmacologic Intervention;Meta-analysis;Multi-Sensory Stimulation;Occupational Therapy
- H. Brodaty and M. Donkin, "Family caregivers of people with dementia," Dialogues in Clinical Neuroscience, Vol. 11, No. 2, p.217, 2009.
- 장서진, 사회자본과 사회적 지지의 지각수준이 치매 예방 행동의도에 미치는 영향 : 한국 문화적 특성인 가족건강성의 조절효과, 이화여자대학교 대학원, 석사학위논문, 2014.
- 조현, 고준기, "치매노인의 현황과 노인장기요양 보험법 상의 개선방안," 한국산학기술학회논문지, 제13권, 제12호, pp. 5816-5825, 2012.
- 조맹제, 김진영, 한국인 치매환자의 행동 및 심리 증상의 횡문화적 특성, 서울대학교출판부, 2006.
- L. Teri, "Behavior and caregiver burden: behavioral problems in patients with Alzheimer disease and its association with caregiver distress," Alzheimer Disease and Associated Disorders, Vol. 11, No. 4, pp. S35-38, 1997.
- 송준아, 박재원, 김효진, "치매의 행동심리증상이 요양시설 간호제공자의 부담감에 미치는 영향," 노인간호학회지, 제15권, 제1호, pp. 62-74, 2013.
- 이동영, 김기웅, "치매에서 나타나는 초조 증상의 임상적 이해와 치료," 정신병리학, 제10권, 제2호, pp. 87-96, 2001.
- L. S. Schneider, K. S. Dageman, and P. Insel, "Risk of death with atypical antipsychotic drug treatment for dementia: meta-analysis of randomized placebo-controlled trials," JAMA, Vol. 294, No. 15, pp. 1934-1943, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.294.15.1934
- 황재영, 치매 케어 텍스트북, 노인연구정보센터, 2010.
- 김덕주, 김미경, "노인장기요양보험제도의 치매 정책에 관한 고찰," 한국고령친화건강정책학회지, 제3권, 제1호, pp. 33-43, 2011.
- 김춘미, 박명숙, 김선호, "국내 치매노인을 위한 비약물요법 중재연구 동향분석," 노인간호학회지, 제14권, 제2호, pp. 129-141, 2012.
- B. Henry, "Meta-Analysis of Nonpharmacological Interventions for Neuropsychiatric Symptoms of Dementia," The American journal of Psychiatry, Vol. 169, No. 9, pp. 946-953, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1176/appi.ajp.2012.11101529
- S. Y. Kim, E. Y. Yoo, M. Y. Jung, S. H. Park, and J. H. Park, "A systematic review of the effects of occupational therapy for persons with dementia: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials," NeuroRehabilitation, Vol. 31, No. 2, pp. 107-115, 2012.
- E. H. Kong, L. K. Evans, and J. P. Guevara, "Nonpharmacological intervention for agitation in dementia: A systematic review and meta-analysis," Aging & Mental Health, Vol. 13, No. 4, pp. 512-520, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1080/13607860902774394
- A. R. Jadad, R. A. Moore, D. Carroll, C. Jenkinson, D. J. Reynolds, D. J. Gavaghan, and H. J. McQuay, "Assessing the quality of reports of randomized clinical trials: is blinding necessary?," Controlled Clinical Trials, Vol. 17, No. 1, pp. 1-12, 1996. https://doi.org/10.1016/0197-2456(95)00134-4
- R. Rosenthal and D. B. Rubin, "Comparing effect sizes of independent studies," Psychological Bulletin, Vol. 92, No. 2, pp. 500-504, 1982. https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-2909.92.2.500
- L. V. Hedges and I. Olkin, Statistical methods for meta-analysis, Academic Press, 1985.
- H. R. Rothstein, "Publication bias as a threat to the validity of meta-analytic results," Journal of Experimental Criminology, Vol. 4, pp. 61-81, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11292-007-9046-9
- J. Lau, J. Ioannidis, and C. H. Schmid, "Quantitative synthesis in systematic reviews," Annals of Internal Medicine, Vol. 127, No. 9, pp. 820-826, 1997. https://doi.org/10.7326/0003-4819-127-9-199711010-00008
- J. Cohen, Statistical power analysis for the social sciences, Erlbaum, 1988.
- R. Baker, S. Bell, E. Baker, S. Gibson, J. Holloway, R. Pearce, Z. Dowling, P. Thomas, J. Assey, and L. A. Wareing, "A randomized controlled trial of the effects of multi-sensory stimulation(MSS) for people with dementia," British Journal of Clinical Psychology, Vol. 40, pp. 81-96, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1348/014466501163508
- R. Baker, J. Holloway, C. C. Holtkamp, A. Larsson, L. C. Hartman, R. Pearce, B. Scherman, S. Johansson, P. W. Thomas, L. A. Wareing, and M. Owens, "Effects of multi-sensory stimulation for people with dementia," Journal of Advanced Nursing, Vol. 43, No. 5, pp. 465-477, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2648.2003.02744.x
- J. Ferrero-Arias, M. Goni-Imίzcoz, J. Gonzalez-Bernal, F. Lara-Ortega, A. da Silva-Gonzalez, and M. Diez-Lopez, "The Efficacy of Nonpharmacological Treatment for Dementia-related Apathy," Alzheimer Disease & Associated Disorders, Vol. 25, No. 3, pp. 213-219, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1097/WAD.0b013e3182087dbc
- L. N. Gitlin, M. Corcoran, L. Winter, A. Boyce, and W. W. Hauck, "A randomized, controlled trial of a home environmental interventioneffect on efficacy and upset in caregivers and on daily function of persons with dementia," Gerontologist, Vol. 41, No. 1, pp. 4-14, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1093/geront/41.1.4
- L. N. Gitlin, L. Winter, M. Corcoran, M. P. Dennis, S. Schinfeld, and W. W. Hauck, "Effects of the Home Environmental Skill-Building Program on the Caregiver-Care Recipient Dyad: 6-Month Outcomes From the Philadelphia REACH Initiative," Gerontologist, Vol. 43, No. 4, pp. 532-546, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1093/geront/43.4.532
- L. N. Gitlin, L. Winter, J. Burke, N. Chernett, M. P. Dennis, and W. W. Hauck, "Tailored activities to manage neuropsychiatric behaviors in persons with dementia and reduce caregiver burden: a randomized pilot study," The American journal of geriatric psychiatry, Vol. 16, No. 3, pp. 229-239, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.JGP.0000300629.35408.94
- L. N. Gitlin, L. Winter, M. P. Dennis, N. Hodgson, and W. W. Hauck, "A biobehavioral home-based intervention and the well-being of patients with dementia and their caregivers: the COPE randomized trial," The Journal of the American Medical Association, Vol. 304, No. 9, pp. 983-991, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2010.1253
- N. Gormley, D. Lyons, and R. Howard, "Behavioural management of aggression in dementia: a randomized controlled trial," Age Ageing, Vol. 30, No. 2, pp. 141-145, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1093/ageing/30.2.141
- R. Hebert, L. Levesque, J. Vezina, J. P. Lavoie, F. Ducharme, C. Gendron, M. Preville, L. Voyer, and M. F. Dubois, "Efficacy of a psychoeducative group program for caregivers of demented persons living at home: a randomized controlled trial," Journal of Gerontology, Vol. 58, No. 1, pp. 58-67, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1093/geronb/58.1.S58
- C. J. Hsieh, C. Chang, S. F. Su, Y. L. Hsiao, Y. W. Shih, W. H. Han, and C. C. Lin, "Reminiscence group therapy on depression and apathy in nursing home residents with mild-to-moderate dementia," Journal of Experimental and Clinical Medicine, Vol. 2, No. 2, pp. 72-78, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1878-3317(10)60012-5
- M. H. Hsu, R. Flowerdew, M. Parker, J. Fachner, and H. Odell-Miller, "Individual music therapy for managing neuropsychiatric symptoms for people with dementia and their carers: a cluster randomised controlled feasibility study," BioMed Central Geriatrics, pp. 1-19, 2015.
- H. L. Huang, L. M. Kuo, Y. S. Chen, J. Liang, H. L. Huang, Y. C. Chiu, S. T. Chen, Y. Sun, W. C. Hsu, and Y. I. Shyu, "A home-based training program improves caregivers' skills and dementia patients' aggressive behaviors: a randomized controlled trial," The American journal of geriatric psychiatry, Vol. 21, No. 11, pp. 1060-1070, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jagp.2012.09.009
- 황기철, 감진아, "의도적인 다감각환경 프로그램이 치매노인의 이상행동에 미치는 효과," 특수교육재활과학연구, 제49권, 제3호, pp. 109-130, 2010.
- T. Ito, K. Meguro, K. Akanuma, H. Ishii, and E. Mori, "A randomized controlled trial of the group reminiscence approach in patients with vascular dementia," Dementia Geriatric Cognitive Disorders, Vol. 24, No. 1, pp. 48-54, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1159/000103631
- 권미화, 정다해, 김수경, "집단 회상치료가 시설 거주 치매노인의 사회적 상호작용과 문제행동에 미치는 효과," 고령자.치매작업치료학회지, 제6권, 제2호, pp. 11-18, 2012.
- L. C. Lam, V. W. Lui, D. N. Luk, R. Chau, C. So, V. Poon, P. Tam, R. Ching, H. Lo, J. Chiu, A. Fung, and F. S. Ko, "Effectiveness of an individualized functional training program on affective disturbances and functional skills in mild and moderate dementia-a randomized control trial," International Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry, Vol. 25, No. 2, pp. 133-141, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1002/gps.2309
- Y. Lin, H. Chu, C. Y. Yang, C. H. Chen, S. G. Chen, H. J. Chang, C. J. Hsieh, and K. R. Chou, "Effectiveness of group music intervention against agitated behavior in elderly persons with dementia," International Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry, Vol. 26, No. 7, pp. 670-678, 2010.
- T. Majic, H. Gutzmann, A. Heinz, U. E. Lang, and M. A. Rapp, "Animal-assisted therapy and agitation and depression in nursing home residents with dementia: a matched case-control trial," The American journal of geriatric psychiatry, Vol. 21, No. 11, pp. 1052-1059, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jagp.2013.03.004
- W. Moyle, M. L. Cooke, E. Beattie, D. H. Shum, S. T. O'Dwyer, and S. Barrett, "Foot massage versus quiet presence on agitation and mood in people with dementia: a randomised controlled trial," International Journal of Nursing Studies, Vol. 51, No. 6, pp. 856-864, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijnurstu.2013.10.019
- M. Sakamoto, H. Ando, and A. Tsutou, "Comparing the effects of different individualized music interventions for elderly individuals with severe dementia," International Psychogeriatrics, Vol. 25, No. 5, pp. 775-784, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1017/S1041610212002256
- L. Teri, S. M. McCurry, R. Logsdon, and L. E. Gibbons, "Training community consultants to help family members improve dementia care: a randomized controlled trial," Gerontologist, Vol. 45, No. 6, pp. 802-811, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1093/geront/45.6.802
- Y. Treusch, T. Majic, J. Page, H. Gutzmann, A. Heinz, and M. A. Rapp, "Apathy in nursing home residents with dementia: results from a cluster-randomized controlled trial," European Psychiatry, Vol. 30, No. 2, pp. 251-257, 2015.
- J. J. Wang, "Group reminiscence therapy for cognitive and affective function of demented elderly in Taiwan," International Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry, Vol. 22, No. 12, pp. 1235-1240, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1002/gps.1821
- E. Grasel, J. Wiltfang, and J. Kornhuber, "Non-drug therapies for dementia: and overview of the current situation with regard to proof of effectiveness," Dementia and Geriatric Cognitive Disorders, Vol. 5, No. 3, pp. 115-125, 2003.
- L. Gill, K. Lynsey, L. H. Elanor, B. Gianluca, M. Stephen, P. Nishma, Z. O. Rumana, K. Cornelius and C. Claudia, "Non-pharmacological interventions for agitation in dementia: systematic review of randomised controlled trials," The British Journal of Psychiatry, Vol. 205, No. 6, pp. 436-442, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1192/bjp.bp.113.141119
- A. M. de Oliveira, M. Radanovic, P. C. de Mello, P. C. Buchain, A. D. Vizzotto, D. L. Celestino, F. Stella, C. V. Piersol, and O. V. Forlenza, "Nonpharmacological Interventions to Reduce Behavioral and Psychological Symptoms of Dementia: A Systematic Review," BioMed Research International, Vol. 2015, pp. 1-9, 2015.