- Volume 17 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
The Effects of Family Function, Health Perception, and Self-efficacy on Health Promoting Behaviors of Nursing College Students
간호대학생의 가족기능, 건강지각, 자기효능감이 건강증진행위에 미치는 영향
- Received : 2017.04.27
- Accepted : 2017.06.10
- Published : 2017.06.28
This is a descriptive research study aimed to investigate the relationship between health promoting behaviors, and some factors such as family function, health perception, and self - efficacy of nursing college students and identify the factors affecting health promoting behaviors. Results showed that family function, health perception, and self - efficacy were correlated with health promoting behaviors. Regression analysis showed that family function, health perception, and self - efficacy seemed to explain 37.7% of health promoting behaviors. Thus, as family function, health perception, and self-efficacy are important factors that affect health promoting behaviors of nursing college students, it is necessary to develop a health education program considering family function, health perception, and self-efficacy to promote desirable health promoting behaviors. In the follow-up study, it is necessary to expand the study subjects and the results of such studies should be applied to the development of programs aimed at promoting the health of nursing college students, and further studies should be conducted to verify the effectiveness of those programs.
Nursing Students;Family Function;Health Perception;Self-efficacy;Health Promoting Behaviors
- E. K. Yoo, M. H. Kim, and T. K. Kim, "A Study of the Relationship Among Health Promoting Behaviors, Climacteric Symptoms and Depression of Middle-Aged Women," Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, Vol. 29, No. 2, pp. 225-237, 1999. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.19126.96.36.199
- S. Y. Joe, I. S. Lee, Y. L. Ham, and J. H. Kim, "Factors Leading to Health Promotion Behavior among the Students in a Nursing School of a University-based on the SAT-," J Korean Acad Soc Nurs Edu, Vol. 12, No. 1, pp. 78-85, 2006.
- K. A. Park and M. R. Song, "Factors that Influence Nursing Image Perceived by College Students," Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, Vol. 3, No. 4, pp. 137-157, 2001.
- J. S. Lee, J. A. Yoon, and K. J. Don, "Effectiveness of Enneagram Group Counseling for Self-identification and Depression in Nursing College Students," Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, Vol. 43, No. 5, pp. 649-657, 2013. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2013.43.5.649
- J. W. Oh and Y. S. Moon, "A Predictive Model of Health Promotion Behavior in Nursing Students," Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 12, No. 10, pp. 391-403, 2014.
- M. Y. Chon, M. H. Kim, and C. M. Cho, "Predictors of Health Promoting Lifestyles in Korean Undergraduate Students," J. of Korean Society for Health Education & Promotion, Vol. 19, No. 2, pp. 1-13, 2002.
- H. S. Park and G. E. Yi, "Health Promoting Behavior of College Students," J. of Korean Community Nursing, Vol. 10, No. 2, pp. 347-361, 1999.
- H. J. Kim and S. N. Yoon, Community Health Nursing, Soomoonsa, 1998.
- J. S. Chung, Effect of Family Cohesion and Parent-Adolescent's Communication Style on The High School Student's Self-efficacy and Career Development, Unpublished master's thesis, Kangnam University, 2009.
- M. K. Sim, "The Effect of Self Esteem, Family Functioning, Social Support on Health Promotion Behavior in Adolescents," Journal The Academic Society of Parent-Child Health, Vol. 8, No. 1, pp. 64-74, 2006.
- T. U. Kim, S. N. Yang, J. H. Choi, S. R. Kim, and H. J. Koh, "The Relation of Health-Related Behaviors and Family Function in Adolescents," Journal of the Korean Academy of Family Medicine, Vol. 26, No. 1, pp. 9-14, 2005.
- J. H. Kim, S. J. Kim, and Y. H. Park, "Factors Influencing Health Promoting Behavior of Women College Students," Korean Society of Adult Nursing, Vol. 13, No. 3, pp. 431-440, 2001.
- M. Y. Chon, M. H. Kim, and M. C. Chung, "Predictors of Health Promoting Lifestyles in Korean Undergraduate Students. Korean Journal of Health Education and Promotion," Vol. 19, No. 2, pp. 1-13, 2002.
- Y. S. Byeon and J. W. Oak, "The Relation between Perceived Health Status and Health-Promoting Behaviors in Female College Students," Journal of Korean Academy of Community Health Nursing, Vol. 19, No. 4, pp. 5715-5723, 2008.
- S. J. Kim and E. Y. Jung, "A Relevance on Health Perception, Health Knowledge and Health Promotion Behavior of the University students," Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, Vol. 16, No. 8, pp. 5394-5403, 2015. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.8.5394
- H. S. Park, G. E. Lee, and Y. L. Hong, "The Effect of Health Education on the Performance of Health Promoting Behavior in College Students," J Korean Acad Psychiatr Ment Health Nurs, Vol. 9, No. 3, pp. 239-254, 2000.
- E. J. Yeun, H. J. Kim, and M. S. Jeon, "Factors Influencing Health Promoting Behavior among Hospital Registered Nurses-Mood States, Resourcefulness, and Health Perception," Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, Vol. 17, No. 2, pp. 198-208, 2011. https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2011.17.2.198
- F. Faul, E. Erdfelder, A. G. Lang, and A. Buchner, "G*Power 3: A Flexible Statistical Power Analysis Program for the Social, Behavioral, and Biomedical Sciences," Behavior Research Methods, Vol. 39, No. 2, pp. 175-191, 2007. https://doi.org/10.3758/BF03193146
- Y. M. An and J. H. Kim, "Comparison of Maternal Self-esteem, Postpartal Depression, and Family Function in Mothers of Normal and of Low Birth-weight Infants," Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, Vol. 33, No. 5, pp. 580-590, 2008.
- D. H. Olson, J. Portner, and Y. Lavee, FACES III Family Social Science, University of Minnesota. St, Paul Minnesota, 1985.
- J. E. Ware and C. D. Sherbourne, "The MOS 36-item Short-Form Health Survey(SF-36); Conceptual Framework and item selection," Med Care, Vol. 30, p.473, 1992. https://doi.org/10.1097/00005650-199206000-00002
- H. J. Kim, Determinants of Health-Promoting Behavior in the Elderly, Unpublished master's thesis, Kemyung University, 1997.
- J. O. Yu and B. Y. Cho, "The Effect of an Internet Community on Knowledge, Self-Efficacy and Self Care Behavior in Workers with Hypertension," Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, Vol. 35, No. 7, pp. 1258-1267, 2005. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2005.35.7.1258
- M. Sherer, J. E. Maddux, B. Mercandante, S. Prentice-Dunn, B. Jacobs, and R. W. Rogers, "The Self-Efficacy Scale: Construction and Validation," Psychological Reports, Vol. 51, No. 2, pp. 663-671, 1982. https://doi.org/10.2466/pr0.19188.8.131.523
- H. Y. Hong, Relationship of Perfectionism, Self-Efficacy and Depression, Unpublished master's thesis, Ewha University, 1995.
- N. J. Pender, Health Promotion and Nursing, Seoul, Korea, Korea University Institute of Nursing research, 1999.
- S. N. Walker, K. R. Sechrist, and N. J. Pender, "The Health Promoting Lifestyle Profile: Development and Psychometric Characteristics," Nursing Research, Vol. 36, No. 2 pp. 76-81, 1987.
- Y. O. Suh, "Health Promoting Lifestyle, Hardiness and Gender Role Characteristics in Middle-Aged Women," Korean Society of Women Health Nursing, Vol. 2, No. 1, pp. 119-134, 1996.
- I. S. Park, R. Kim, and M. S. Park, "A Study of Factors Influencing Health Promoting Behaviors in Nursing Students," Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, Vol. 13, No. 2, pp. 203-211, 2007.
- H. J. Lee, "An Influencing Health Promoting Behavior of Perceived Health Status and Self-Efficacy according to major of College Students," Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, Vol. 15, No. 2, pp. 989-999, 2014. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.2.989
- K. S. Paek, "A study of Factors Influencing Health Promoting Behavior in College Students," J. of Korean Community Nursing, Vol. 14, No. 2, pp. 232-241, 2003.
- E. A. Kim, A study on the Relations of Health Promoting Daily Life Style and Self-Efficiency about boys high school Students, Unpublished master's thesis, Chungang University, 1999.
- A. L. Ha, Self-Efficacy Feeling and Health-Promoting Behavior of Women in Their Twenties, Unpublished master's thesis, Kosin University, 2002.
- Y. J. Yoo, Family science, Shin Jung, 2004.
- H. K. Kim, S. O. Lee, and Y. S. Park, "A Study on the Relationship between Self-Efficacy, Family Functioning and Health Promotion Behavior of Middle Aged Women in Korea," Kongju Culture College, Vol. 26, pp. 277-294, 1999.
- M. K. Kim and I. S. Kwon, "Influence of Self Esteem, Family Function and Social Support on Wellness of Mothers of Children with Disabilities," Child Health Nurs Res, Vol. 22, No. 1, pp. 1-10, 2016. https://doi.org/10.4094/chnr.2016.22.1.1
- S. Y. Min and K. S. Paek, "The Effects of a Health Education Program on Health Promoting Behavior and Self-Efficacy in University Students," Journal of Korean Academy of Community Health Nursing, Vol. 18, No. 4, pp. 562-571, 2007.
- G. S. Kim, Y. H. Cho, J. S. Ra, and J. Y. Park, "Correlations among Self-Efficacy, Social Support Networks, and Health Behavior in Undergraduate Students," Journal of Korean Academy of Public Health Nursing, Vol. 22, No. 2, pp. 211-223, 2008.
- Y. R. Kim and H. H. Yoo, "An Examination of the Relationship Among Learners' Self-Efficacy, Instructional Motivation and School life-Related Coping," Humanities, Vol. 10, pp. 93-115, 2002.
- Y. S. Park and I. C. Kim, "Self-Efficacy, Achievement Motivation Academic Achievement of Korean Students: Indigenous Psycholoical Analysis," The Korean Journal of Educational Psychology, Vol. 17, No. 1, pp. 37-54, 2003.
- S. Y. Lim, K. M. Kwon, Y. K. Jeong, and K. S. Han, "Comparison to Stress, Depression and Self-Efficacy between Nursing Student and the Other Major University Women Student," Korean Journal of Stress Research, Vol. 18, No. 2, pp. 119-124, 2010.
- N. J. Pender, Health Promotion in Nursing Practice, Third Edition, Appleton & Lange, Stamford, Connecticut, 1996.