- Volume 57 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Virtual computed tomographic bronchoscopy: normal bronchial anatomy in six dogs
- Oh, Dayoung (College of Veterinary Medicine and the Research Institute for Veterinary Science, Seoul National University) ;
- Choi, Mincheol (College of Veterinary Medicine and the Research Institute for Veterinary Science, Seoul National University) ;
- Yoon, Junghee (College of Veterinary Medicine and the Research Institute for Veterinary Science, Seoul National University)
- Received : 2017.03.24
- Accepted : 2017.06.05
- Published : 2017.06.30
The aim of this study was to examine normal bronchi in dogs by using virtual bronchoscopy (VB) and to evaluate the utility of VB in clinical practice. The bronchi of six dogs without tracheobronchial disease were visualized by VB. Airways from the tracheal bifurcation to the lobar bronchi were well visualized in all dogs. Segmental and subsegmental bronchi were also well identified, but the degree and number of those varied with dog size. The mean numbers of segmental and subsegmental bronchi identified in the six dogs were 41.83 and 50.17, respectively, whereas, the mean numbers in medium- and large-sized dogs were 55.00 and 82.67, respectively, and in small-sized dogs, the means were 28.67 and 17.67, respectively. Although there were size-dependent differences in VB visualization of the bronchi, it was possible to identify peripheral airways to the subsegmental bronchi level, which can rarely be accomplished via conventional bronchoscopy. VB is the noninvasive method that can be used to examine bronchial anatomy, and our results suggest that VB can be useful for evaluating bronchi, including segmental and subsegmental ones that cannot be examined routinely by conventional bronchoscopy. Thus, VB has potential as an alternative to conventional bronchoscopy in the examination of bronchi in dogs.
- Amis TC, McKiernan BC. Systematic identification of endobronchial anatomy during bronchoscopy in the dog. Am J Vet Res 1986, 47, 2649-2657.
- Cannon MS, Wisner ER, Johnson LR, Kass PH. Computed tomography bronchial lumen to pulmonary artery diameter ratio in dogs without clinical pulmonary disease. Vet Radiol Ultrasound 2009, 50, 622-624. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1740-8261.2009.01592.x
- Eliashar R, Davros W, Gramlich T, Moffett K, Eliachar I, Esclamado R, Strome M. Evaluating laryngotracheal stenosis in a canine model with virtual bronchoscopy. Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol 2000, 109, 906-912. https://doi.org/10.1177/000348940010901003
- De Wever W, Bogaert J, Verschakelen J. Virtual bronchoscopy: accuracy and usefulness-an overview. Semin Ultrasound CT MR 2005, 26, 364-373. https://doi.org/10.1053/j.sult.2005.07.005
- De Wever W, Vandecaveye V, Lanciotti S, Verschakelen J. Multidetector CT-generated virtual bronchoscopy: an illustrated review of the potential clinical indications. Eur Respir J 2004, 23, 776-782. https://doi.org/10.1183/09031936.04.00099804
- Evans HE, de Lahunta A. The respiratory system. In: Miller's Anatomy of the Dog. 4th ed. pp. 350-352, Elsevier, St. Louis, 2012.
- Fleiter T, Merkle EM, Aschoff AJ, Lang G, Stein M, Gorich J, Liewald F, Rilinger N, Sokiranski R. Comparison of real-time virtual and fiberoptic bronchoscopy in patients with bronchial carcinoma: opportunities and limitations. AJR Am J Roentgenol 1997, 169, 1591-1595. https://doi.org/10.2214/ajr.169.6.9393172
- Konen E, Katz M, Rozenman J, Ben-Shlush A, Itzchak Y, Szeinberg A. Virtual bronchoscopy in children: early clinical experience. AJR Am J Roentgenol 1998, 171, 1699-1702. https://doi.org/10.2214/ajr.171.6.9843316
- Rha JY, Mahony O. Bronchoscopy in small animal medicine: indications, instrumentation, and techniques. Clin Tech Small Anim Pract 1999, 14, 207-212. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1096-2867(99)80012-7
- Schultz RM, Peters J, Zwingenberger A. Radiography, computed tomography and virtual bronchoscopy in four dogs and two cats with lung lobe torsion. J Small Anim Pract 2009, 50, 360-363. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1748-5827.2009.00728.x
- Schwarz T, Johnson V. Lungs and bronchi. In: Schwarz T, Saunders J (eds.). Veterinary Computed Tomography. 1st ed. pp. 261-276, John Wiley & Sons, Chichester, 2011.
- Padrid PA. Laryngoscopy and tracheobronchoscopy of the dog and cat. In: Tams TR, Rawlings CA (eds.). Small Animal Endoscopy. 3rd ed. pp. 331-359, Elsevier Mosby, St. Louis, 2010.
- Vining DJ, Liu K, Choplin RH, Haponik EF. Virtual bronchoscopy. Relationships of virtual reality endobronchial simulations to actual bronchoscopic findings. Chest 1996, 109, 549-553. https://doi.org/10.1378/chest.109.2.549
- Won S, Lee A, Choi J, Choi M, Yoon J. Computed tomographic bronchioarterial ratio for brachycephalic dogs without pulmonary disease. J Vet Sci 2015, 16, 221-224. https://doi.org/10.4142/jvs.2015.16.2.221