- Volume 57 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Diagnostic laparoscopy in a leopard cat (Prionailurus bengalensis) with intercostal abdominal hernia and hepatic lipidosis
- Seok, Seong-Hoon (Laboratory of Veterinary Surgery and Behavior, College of Veterinary Medicine, Gyeongsang National University) ;
- Park, Se-Jin (Laboratory of Veterinary Surgery and Behavior, College of Veterinary Medicine, Gyeongsang National University) ;
- Lee, Seung-Yong (Laboratory of Veterinary Surgery and Behavior, College of Veterinary Medicine, Gyeongsang National University) ;
- Lee, Hee-Chun (Laboratory of Veterinary Medical Imaging, College of Veterinary Medicine, Gyeongsang National University) ;
- Yeon, Seong-Chan (Laboratory of Veterinary Surgery and Behavior, College of Veterinary Medicine, Gyeongsang National University)
- Received : 2016.12.27
- Accepted : 2017.03.23
- Published : 2017.06.30
Intercostal abdominal hernia in the 11th intercostal space was identified in a leopard cat. Although mild leukopenia was found in laboratory examinations, no remarkable abnormality was revealed in medical imaging. To investigate abdominal organs, diagnostic laparoscopy was performed after hernia repair. In laparoscopic view, closure of the herniation site and a lesion with whitish discoloration in the liver (left medial lobe) were observed. Subsequently, laparoscopic liver biopsy was performed against the affected hepatic tissue. Histologically, the sample was diagnosed as mild hepatic lipidosis. Laparoscopy is considered useful for abdominal visceral examination and liver biopsy in a leopard cat patient.
- Aguilar RF, Mikota SK, Smith J, Munson L, Freeman LJ, Kolata R. Endoscopic ovariohysterectomy in two lions (Panthera leo). J Zoo Wildl Med 1997, 28, 290-297.
- Armstrong PJ, Blanchard G. Hepatic lipidosis in cats. Vet Clin North Am Small Anim Pract 2009, 39, 599-616. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cvsm.2009.03.003
- Beazley SG, Cosford K, Duke-Novakovski T. Cardiopulmonary effects of using carbon dioxide for laparoscopic surgery in cats. Can Vet J 2011, 52, 973-978.
- Bernard JM, Newkirk KM, McRee AE, Whittemore JC, Ramsay EC. Hepatic lesions in 90 captive nondomestic felids presented for autopsy. Vet Pathol 2015, 52, 369-376. https://doi.org/10.1177/0300985814532822
- Brown B, Mauldin GE, Armstrong J, Moroff SD, Mauldin GN. Metabolic and hormonal alterations in cats with hepatic lipidosis. J Vet Intern Med 2000, 14, 20-26. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1939-1676.2000.tb01494.x
- Goodrowe KL, Miller AM, Wildt DE. In vitro fertilization of gonadotropin-stimulated leopard cat (Felis bengalensis) follicular oocytes. J Exp Zool 1989, 252, 89-95. https://doi.org/10.1002/jez.1402520112
- Goodrowe KL, Wall RJ, O'Brien SJ, Schmidt PM, Wildt DE. Developmental competence of domestic cat follicular oocytes after fertilization in vitro. Biol Reprod 1988, 39, 355-372. https://doi.org/10.1095/biolreprod39.2.355
- Hendrix PK. Anesthetic management of an orangutan (Pongo abelii/pygmaeus) undergoing laparoscopic tubal ligation. J Zoo Wildl Med 2006, 37, 531-534. https://doi.org/10.1638/05-087.1
- Howard JG, Roth TL, Byers AP, Swanson WF, Wildt DE. Sensitivity to exogenous gonadotropins for ovulation induction and laparoscopic artificial insemination in the cheetah and clouded leopard. Biol Reprod 1997, 56, 1059-1068. https://doi.org/10.1095/biolreprod56.4.1059
- Matyjasik H, Adamiak Z, Pesta W, Zhalniarovich Y. Laparoscopic procedures in dogs and cats. Pol J Vet Sci 2011, 14, 305-316.
- Petre SL, McClaran JK, Bergman PJ, Monette S. Safety and efficacy of laparoscopic hepatic biopsy in dogs: 80 cases (2004-2009). J Am Vet Med Assoc 2012, 240, 181-185. https://doi.org/10.2460/javma.240.2.181
- Posner LP, Woodie JB, Curtis PD, Erb HN, Gilbert R, Adams WA, Gleed RD. Acid-base, blood gas, and physiologic parameters during laparoscopy in the head-down position in white-tailed deer (Odocoileus virginianus). J Zoo Wildl Med 2005, 36, 642-647. https://doi.org/10.1638/04-072.1
- Rho P. Use of GIS to develop a multivariate habitat model for the leopard cat (Prionailurus bengalensis) in mountainous region of Korea. J Ecol Field Biol 2009, 32, 229-236.
- Shaw SR, Rozanski EA, Rush JE. Traumatic body wall herniation in 36 dogs and cats. J Am Anim Hosp Assoc 2003, 39, 35-46. https://doi.org/10.5326/0390035
- Steeil JC, Sura PA, Ramsay EC, Reilly S, Seddighi R, Whittemore J. Laparoscopic-assisted ovariectomy of tigers (Panthera tigris) with the use of the LigaSure device. J Zoo Wildl Med 2012, 43, 566-572. https://doi.org/10.1638/2011-0242R1.1
- Teare JA; International Species Information System. ISIS reference ranges for physiological values in captive wildlife. 2002 ed. International Species Information System, Apple Valley, 2002.