- Volume 57 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Candida glabrata infection of urinary bladder in a Chinchilla Persian cat
- Woo, Seungji (College of Veterinary Medicine and Veterinary Medical Center, Chungbuk National University) ;
- Kim, Hak-Hyun (College of Veterinary Medicine and Veterinary Medical Center, Chungbuk National University) ;
- Kang, Ji-Houn (College of Veterinary Medicine and Veterinary Medical Center, Chungbuk National University) ;
- Na, Ki-Jeong (College of Veterinary Medicine and Veterinary Medical Center, Chungbuk National University) ;
- Yang, Mhan-Pyo (College of Veterinary Medicine and Veterinary Medical Center, Chungbuk National University)
- Received : 2017.02.10
- Accepted : 2017.05.11
- Published : 2017.06.30
A 5-year-old castrated male Chinchilla Persian cat weighing 4.84 kg was referred for hematuria. The cat had a history of urethrostomy and bacterial cystitis. In urine culture, Candida glabrata was cultured on Sabouraud dextrose agar. Based on these results, the cat was diagnosed with Candida cystitis. Subsequently, oral administration of fluconazole was initiated. Urine culture was negative at 31 days after administration. This case describes the diagnosis and treatment of Candida glabrata infection of urinary bladder in a cat with a history of urethrostomy.
Supported by : National Research Foundation (NRF)
- Bailiff NL, Nelson RW, Feldman EC, Westropp JL, Ling GV, Jang SS, Kass PH. Frequency and risk factors for urinary tract infection in cats with diabetes mellitus. J Vet Intern Med 2006, 4, 850-855.
- Bailiff NL, Westropp JL, Nelson RW, Sykes JE, Owens SD, Kass PH. Evaluation of urine specific gravity and urine sediment as risk factors for urinary tract infections in cats. Vet Clin Pathol 2008, 37, 317-322. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1939-165X.2008.00065.x
- Fidel PL Jr, Vazquez JA, Sobel JD. Candida glabrata: review of epidemiology, pathogenesis, and clinical disease with comparison to C. albicans. Clin Microbiol Rev 1999, 12, 80-96.
- Fisher JF, Kavanagh K, Sobel JD, Kauffman CA, Newman CA. Candida urinary tract infection: pathogenesis. Clin Infect Dis 2011, 52 (Suppl 6), S437-451. https://doi.org/10.1093/cid/cir110
- Gerber B, Boretti FS, Kley S, Laluha P, Muller C, Sieber N, Unterer S, Wenger M, Fluckiger M, Glaus T, Reusch CE. Evaluation of clinical signs and causes of lower urinary tract disease in European cats. J Small Anim Pract 2005, 46, 571-577. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1748-5827.2005.tb00288.x
- Greene CE. Infectious Diseases of the Dog and Cat. 4th ed. pp. 666-672, Saunders, Philadelphia, 2012.
- Hauser PJ, VanGordon SB, Seavey J, Sofinowski TM, Ramadan M, Abdullah S, Buffington CAT, Hurst RE. Abnormalities in expression of structural, barrier and differentiation related proteins, and chondroitin sulfate in feline and human interstitial cystitis. J Urol 2015, 194, 571-577. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.juro.2015.01.090
- Hostutler RA, Chew DJ, DiBartola SP. Recent concepts in feline lower urinary tract disease. Vet Clin North Am Small Anim Pract 2005, 35, 147-170. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cvsm.2004.08.006
- Jin Y, Lin D. Fungal urinary tract infections in the dog and cat: a retrospective study (2001-2004). J Am Anim Hosp Assoc 2005, 41, 373-381. https://doi.org/10.5326/0410373
- Lagrotteria D, Rotstein C, Lee CH. Treatment of candiduria with micafungin: a case series. Can J Infect Dis Med Microbiol 2007, 18, 149-150.
- Ling GV, Norris CR, Franti CE, Eisele PH, Johnson DL, Ruby AL, Jang SS. Interrelations of organism prevalence, specimen collection method, and host age, sex, and breed among 8,354 canine urinary tract infections (1969-1995). J Vet Intern Med 2001, 15, 341-347.
- Osborne CA, Caywood DD, Johnston GR, Polzin DJ, Lulich JP, Kruger JM, Ulrich LK. Feline perineal urethrostomy: a potential cause of feline lower urinary tract disease. Vet Clin North Am Small Anim Pract 1996, 26, 535-549. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0195-5616(96)50083-5
- Pressler BM, Vaden SL, Lane IF, Cowgill LD, Dye JA. Candida spp. urinary tract infections in 13 dogs and seven cats: predisposing factors, treatment, and outcome. J Am Anim Hosp Assoc 2003, 39, 263-270. https://doi.org/10.5326/0390263
- Rahimkhani M, Saberian M, Mordadi A, Varmazyar S, Tavakoli A. Urinary tract infection with Candida glabrata in a patient with spinal cord injury. Acta Med Iran 2015, 53, 516-517.
- Rishpana MS, Kabbin JS. Candiduria in catheter associated urinary tract infection with special reference to biofilm production. J Clin Diagn Res 2015, 9, DC11-13.