- Volume 41 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Identification and Optimization of Dominant Process Parameters Affecting Mechanical Properties of FDM 3D Printed Parts
압출적층조형 공정 기반 3D 프린팅 제품 기계적 특성의 지배적 공정인자 도출 및 최적화에 관한 연구
- Kim, Jung Sub (Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Sungkyunkwan Univ.) ;
- Jo, Nanhyeon (Service Design Institute, Sungkyunkwan Univ.) ;
- Nam, Jung Soo (Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Sungkyunkwan Univ.) ;
- Lee, Sang Won (Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Sungkyunkwan Univ.)
- Received : 2016.10.11
- Accepted : 2017.02.16
- Published : 2017.07.01
Recently, additive manufacturing (AM) technology, also known as 3D printing technology, has attracted attention as an innovative production method to fabricate functional components having complex shapes with saving materials. In particular, a fabrication of poly lactic acid (PLA) parts through a fused deposition modeling (FDM) technique has attracted much attention in the medical field. In this paper, an experimental study on the identification of dominant process parameters influencing mechanical properties of PLA parts fabricated by the FDM process is conducted, and their optimal values for maximizing the mechanical properties are obtained. Three process parameters are considered in this research, namely, layer thickness, a part orientation and in-fill. It is known that thin layer thickness, part orientation diagonal to the tension direction, and full in-fill are optimal conditions to maximize the mechanical properties.
Additive Manufacturing;Fused Deposition Modeling;Mechanical Property;Dominant Process Parameter
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- Kulkarni, P., Marsan, D. and Dutta, D., 2000, "A Review of Process Planning Techniques in Layered Manufacturing," Rapid Prototyping Journal, Vol. 6, pp. 18-35. https://doi.org/10.1108/13552540010309859
- Ahn, S. H., Montero, M., Odell, D., Roundy, S. and Wright, P. K., 2002, "Anisotropic Material Properties of Fused Deposition Modeling ABS," Rapid Prototyping Journal, Vol. 8, No. 4, pp. 248-257. https://doi.org/10.1108/13552540210441166
- Jung, H. B. and Lee, M. K., 2014, "The Factors that Determine the Symbolism of the Future Trendsetter Industrial Designers in 3D Printing Revolution," Journal of Digital Design, Vol. 14, No. 1, pp. 663-672. https://doi.org/10.17280/jdd.2014.14.1.065
- Kim, K., 2012, "Building a 3D Printer for In-Situ Fault-Tolerant Robots," Conference of Human Computer Interaction, pp. 298-300.
- www.3ders.org, 3D Printer and 3D Printing News, http://www.3ders.org/articles/20141216-print-your-veryown-skull-with-a-desktop-fdm-3d-printer.html.
- Honiball, J. R., 2010, "The Application of 3D Printing in Reconstructive Surgery," Thesis (MScEng (Industrial Engineering)), University of Stellenbosch.
- Gausemeier, G., Echterhoff, N. and Wall, M., 2011, "Thinking Ahead the Future of Additive Manufacturing- Exploring the Research Landscape," Heinz Nixdorf Institute, Direct Manufacturing Research Center, University of Paderborn, pp. 34-36.
- The Wall Street Journal, Dow Jones & Company, http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424127887323372504578469560282127852.
- Lee, I. H., Oh, S. T., Kin, H. C. and Cho, H. T., 2014, "Development of Hybrid Fused Deposition Modeling System for Three-Dimensional Circuit Device Fabrication," Trans. Korean Soc. mech. Eng. A, Vol. 38, No. 8, pp. 869-874. https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-A.2014.38.8.869
- Kim, H. C. and Yun, H. Y., 2014, "Application of 3D Printing Technology in Nano/Micro Field," Trans. Korean Soc. Mech. Eng. A, Vol. 54, No. 4, pp. 36-40.
- Kim, D. B., Lee, I. W. and Cho, H. Y., 2015, "A Study on the Mechanical Properties of Additive Manufactured Polymer Materials," Trans. Korean Soc. Mech. Eng. A, Vol. 39, No. 8, pp. 773-780.
- Kim, D. B., Lee, G. T., Lee, I. W. and Cho, H. Y., 2015, "Finite Element Analysis for Fracture Criterion of PolyJet Materials," Journal of the Korean Society of Manufacturing Process Engineers, Vol. 14, No. 4, pp. 134-139.
- Ogden, S. and Kessler, S., 2014, "Anisotropic Finite Element Modeling of the Fused Deposition Modeling Process", Characterization of Minerals, Metals, and Materials, pp. 235-243.
- Quintana, R., Choi, J. W., Puebla, K. and Wicker, R., "Effects of Build Orientation on Tensile Strength for Stereolithography-Manufactured ASTM D-638 Type I Specimens," International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, Vol. 46, No. 1-4, pp. 201-215.
- Peng, A. and Wang Z. M., 2010, "Researches into Influence of Process Parameters on FDM Parts Precision," Applied Mechanics and Materials, Vol. 34-35, pp. 338-343. https://doi.org/10.4028/www.scientific.net/AMM.34-35.338
- Auras, R. A., Lim, L. T., Selke, S. E. M. and Tsuji, H., 2010, "Poly (lactic acid): Synthesis, Structures, Properties, Processing, and Applications," John Wiley & Sons.
- ASTM D 638, 2014, "Standard Test Method for Tensile Properties of Plastics," ASTM International.