- Volume 41 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
A Study on the Fatigue Characteristics and Life Prediction of the Tire Sidewall Rubber
타이어 사이드월 고무의 피로특성 및 수명예측에 관한 연구
- Moon, Byungwoo (Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Sungkyunkwan Univ.) ;
- Kim, Yongseok (Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Sungkyunkwan Univ.) ;
- Jun, Namgyu (Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Sungkyunkwan Univ.) ;
- Koo, Jae-Mean (Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Sungkyunkwan Univ.) ;
- Seok, Chang-Sung (Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Sungkyunkwan Univ.) ;
- Hong, Ui Seok (Polymeric Materials Research Team, Hyundai Motor Group) ;
- Oh, Min Kyeong (Polymeric Materials Research Team, Hyundai Motor Group) ;
- Kim, Seong Rae (R&D Center, Nexen Tire Corporation)
- 문병우 (성균관대학교 기계공학부) ;
- 김용석 (성균관대학교 기계공학부) ;
- 전남규 (성균관대학교 기계공학부) ;
- 구재민 (성균관대학교 기계공학부) ;
- 석창성 (성균관대학교 기계공학부) ;
- 홍의석 (현대자동차 고분자재료연구팀) ;
- 오민경 (현대자동차 고분자재료연구팀) ;
- 김성래 (넥센타이어 연구개발본부)
- Received : 2017.01.24
- Accepted : 2017.03.22
- Published : 2017.07.01
In the case of the UHP (Ultra high performance) tire that the demand has increased rapidly, compared with the commonly used tire, severe deformation has been observed because of the low aspect ratio. When repeated deformations are applied to the sidewall rubber, accumulated fatigue damage may cause fatigue failure. Thus, the evaluation of the durability of the tire sidewall rubber has become a very important issue to prevent accidents that occur while the vehicle is running. However, the research and design criteria for the durability performance of the tire sidewall rubber hardly exist. In this study, we suggest a lifetime prediction formula using strain energy density obtained by performing tensile tests and fatigue tests on two different kinds of the tire sidewall compounds. Additionally, the applicability of our findings for low fuel consumption tires was reviewed by converting the fatigue life of the sidewall rubber into the expected mileage of the tire.
Fatigue Life;Strain Energy Density;Prediction Equation;Tire Sidewall Rubber
Supported by : 현대자동차
- Institute of Machinery and Materials, 2004, "Development of Integrated Design System for Mechanical Rubber Components," National Research Foundation of Korea, M1-9911-00-0014.
- Lee, T. K. and Kim, B. S., 2003, "Vibration Analysis of Automobile Tire Due to Road Impact," The journal of the acoustical society of Korea, Vol. 22, No. 6, pp. 505-5111.
- Oh, H. K., "Study on the Pattern Design for Passenger Car Tire: Focus on Ultra High Performance Tire Development of Hankook Tire," Master's thesis, Automobile design, Kookmin University.
- Lee, J. K. and Lee, D. J., 2013, "A Study on the Friction of Tire Tread Rubber using High-Speed Friction Test Machine," J. Korean Soc. Precis. Eng., Vol. 30, No. 6, pp. 622-628. https://doi.org/10.7736/KSPE.2013.30.6.622
- Placek, V., Kohout, T., Hnat, V. and Bartonicek, B., 2008, "Assessment of the EPDM Seal Lifetime in Nuclear Power Plants," Polymer Testing, Vol. 28, Issue 2, pp. 209-214.
- Verrona, E. and Andriyana, A., 2008, "Definition of a New Predictor for Multiaxial Fatigue Crack Nucleation in Rubber," Journal of the Mechanics and Physics of Solids, Vol. 56, No. 2, pp. 417-443. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmps.2007.05.019
- Mars, W. V. and Fatemi, A., 2002, "A Literature Survey on Fatigue Analysis Approaches for Rubber," International Journal of Fatigue, Vol. 24, No. 9, pp. 949-961. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0142-1123(02)00008-7
- Harbour, R. J., Fatemi, A. and Mars, W. V., 2007, "Fatigue Crack Growth of Filled Rubber under Constant and Variable Amplitude Loading Conditions," Fatigue and Fracture of Eng. Materials and Structures, Vol. 30, No. 7, pp. 640-652. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1460-2695.2007.01143.x
- Kim, W. H., Kim, M. Y., Chang, Y. W., Shin. J. E. and Bae, J. W., 2003, "Fatigue Crack Growth Behavior of NR and HNBR Based Vulcanizates with Potential Application to Track Pad for Heavy Weight Vehicles," The Polymer Society of Korea, Vol. 11, No. 2, pp. 73-79.
- Andre, N., Cailletaud, G. and Piques, R., 1999, "Haigh Diagram for Fatigue Crack Initiation Prediction of Natural Rubber Components," Kautschuk Und Gummi dunstoffe, Vol. 52, p. 120.
- Lee, D. W., Kim, S. R., Sung, K. D., Park, J. S., Lee, T. W. and Huh, S. C., 2013, "A Study on the Fatigue Life Prediction of Tire Belt-layers using Probabilistic Method," Journal of Mechanical Science and Technology, Vol. 27, No. 3, pp. 673-678. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12206-012-1267-9
- ASTM D4482-11, "Standard Test Method for Rubber Property-extension Cycling Fatigue."
- Fujigaki, M. and Kousuke, S., 2012, "Dynamic Shape and Strain Measurements of Rotating Tire in Time-Series," Experimental and Applied Mechanics, Vol. 4, Chapter 8, pp. 57-66.
- Kim, S. J., Kim, K. -S. and Yoon, Y. -S., 2015, "Development of a Tire Model Based on an Analysis of Tire Strain Obtained by an Intelligent Tire System," International Journal of Automotive Technology, Vol. 16, No. 5, pp. 865-875. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12239-015-0088-0
- Tang, T., Johnson, D., Smith, R. E. and Felicelli, S. D., 2014, "Numerical Evaluation of the Temperature Field of Steady-state Rolling Tires," Applied Mathematical Modeling, Vol. 38, pp. 1622-1637. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apm.2013.08.033
- Namjoo, M. and Golbakhshi, H., 2014, "Finite Element Analysis for Estimating the Effect of Various Working Conditions on the Temperature Gradients Created Inside a Rolling Tire," IJE transactions C: Aspects, Vol. 27, No. 12, pp. 1929-1936.
- Mullins, L., 1969, "Softening of Rubber by Deformation," Rubber Chemistry and Technology, Vol. 42, No. 1, pp. 339-362. https://doi.org/10.5254/1.3539210