- Volume 41 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Joining and Performance of Alkali Metal Thermal-to-electric Converter (AMTEC)
알칼리금속 열전기변환장치의 접합과 출력성능
- Suh, Min-Soo (Korea Institute of Energy Research) ;
- Lee, Wook-Hyun (Korea Institute of Energy Research) ;
- Woo, Sang-Kuk (Korea Institute of Energy Research)
- Received : 2016.03.22
- Accepted : 2017.01.03
- Published : 2017.07.01
The alkali-Metal Thermal-to-electric Converter (AMTEC) is one of the promising static energy conversion technologies for the direct conversion of thermal energy to electrical energy. The advantages over a conventional energy converter are its high theoretical conversion efficiency of 40% and power density of 500 W/kg. The working principle of an AMTEC battery is the electrochemical reaction of the sodium through an ion conducting electrolyte. Sodium ion pass through the hot side of the beta"-alumina solid electrolyte (BASE) primarily as a result of the pressure difference. This pressure difference across the BASE has a significant effect on the overall performance of the AMTEC system. In order to build the high pressure difference across the BASE, hermeticity is required for each joined components for high temperature range of
Alkali-Metal;Thermoelectric Convertor;Beta"-alumina Solid Electrolyte;Joining;I-V character
Supported by : 한국에너지기술연구원
- Kummer, J.T. and Weber Neill, 1968, "A Sodium- Sulfur Secondary Battery," Trans. S.A.E., Vol. 76, pp. 1003-1007.
- Weber, N., 1974 "A Thermoelectric Device based on Beta-alumina Solid Electrolyte," Energy Conversion, Vol. 14, No. 1, pp. 1-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/0013-7480(74)90011-4
- Cole, T., 1983, "Thermoelectric Energy Conversion with Solid Electrolytes," Science, Vol. 221, No. 4614, pp. 915-920. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.221.4614.915
- El-Genk, M.S. and Tournier, J.-M., 1998, "Recent Advances in Vapor-anode, Multi-tube, Alkali Metal Thermal-to-electric Conversion Cells for Space power," Eur. Space Agency Spec. Publ. SP, 416, pp. 257-264.
- Wu, S.-Y., Xiao, L. and Cao, Y.-D., 2009, "A Review on Advances in Alkali Metal Thermal to Electric Converters (AMTECs)," Int. J. Energy Res., Vol. 33, No. 10, pp. 868-892. https://doi.org/10.1002/er.1584
- Tournier, J.-M. and El-Genk, M.S., 1999, "Performance Analysis of Pluto/Express, Multitube AMTEC Cells," Energy Convers. Manage., Vol. 40, No. 2, pp. 139-173. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0196-8904(98)00048-X
- Tournier, J.-M. and El-Genk, M.S., 1999, "Analysis of Test Results of a Ground Demonstration of a Pluto/Express Power Generator," Energy Convers. Manage., Vol. 40, No. 11, pp. 1113-1128. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0196-8904(99)00027-8
- Williams, RM, et al., 1990, "Kinetics and Transport at AMTEC Electrodes -I. The Interfacial Impedance Model," J. Electrochem. Soc., Vol. 137, No. 6, pp. 1709-1716. https://doi.org/10.1149/1.2086775
Jerebtsov, D.A. and Mikhailov G.G., 2001, "Phase Diagram of CaO -
$Al_2O_3$System," Ceram. Int., Vol. 27, pp. 25-28. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0272-8842(00)00037-7
- Suh, M.S., et al, 2014, "Dissimilar Joining of Metal- Ceramics and Joining Strength," Proc. Korean Soc. Mech. Eng., 2014 Spring, pp. 71-72.
- Suh, M.S., et al, 2015, "Joining and Their Performance of Alkali Metal Thermoelectric Converter (AMTEC)," Proc. Korean Soc. Mech. Eng., 2015 Spring, p. 80.