- Volume 42 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Correlation between Radiographic Findings, Clinical Findings and Joint Sounds of Temporomandibular Joint Osteoarthritis Patients
- Shin, Jung-Youn (Department of Oral Medicine, School of Dentistry, Chosun University) ;
- Ahn, Jong-Mo (Department of Oral Medicine, School of Dentistry, Chosun University)
- Received : 2017.05.22
- Accepted : 2017.06.13
- Published : 2017.06.30
Purpose: This study aims to evaluate the correlation between joint sounds and radiographic bone change patterns along with clinical symptoms of temporomandibular joint osteoarthritis (TMJ OA) patients. Methods: The patients for this study were over 19 years of age, diagnosed tentatively with TMJ OA. The patients were examined with temporomandibular disorders analysis test and all three radiographs, including panoramic radiography, transcranial radiography, and cone beam computed tomography (CBCT). Information of the patients' age, pain status, joint sound and mouth opening range were collected. And bone change pattern was examined by reviewing panoramic radiography, transcranial radiography and CBCT images. Results: The patients with crepitus had a higher average active mouth opening (AMO) range than patients without crepitus, and the group with bilateral crepitus had a higher average AMO range than the group with unilateral crepitus (p<0.001). And the patient with pain during mastication was increased in the group with clicking than the group without clicking, and the group with bilateral clicking showed a statistically significant increase in the patient with pain during mastication than the group with unilateral clicking (p<0.05). The analytical results of the relevance of crepitus showed a high correlation with bone change observed from each of the three radiographs. And the agreement in bone change findings from 3 groups of paired radiographs showed high agreement (p<0.001). Meanwhile, 77.2% of CBCT findings showed bone change of condyle without crepitus (p<0.001). Conclusions: This study presented significant results in the evaluation of the correlation with crepitus and bone change of TMJ OA patients from panoramic radiography or transcranial projection. However, the accurate assessment is required through CBCT for the patient with complains of persistent pain, limitation of mouth opening, and occlusal change even if the crepitus does not exist.
Supported by : Chosun University
- Wu CK, Hsu JT, Shen YW, Chen JH, Shen WC, Fuh LJ. Assessments of inclinations of the mandibular fossa by computed tomography in an Asian population. Clin Oral Investig 2012;16:443-450. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00784-011-0518-y
- Okeson JP. Management of temporomandibular disorders and occlusion. 7th ed. St. Louis: Elsevier/Mosby; 2013. pp. 103-107.
- Jo JH, Park MW, Kim YK, Lee JY. The occurrence of degenerative change in the mandibular condyles of Korean patients with temporomandibular disorders. Korean J Oral Med 2011;36:53-63.
- Kim JH, Jeon HM, Ok SM, et al. Effect of occlusal stabilizing splint for osteoarthritis of temporomandibular joint. Korean J Oral Med 2012;37:113-123.
- Stegenga B. Temporomandibular joint osteoarthrosis and internal derangement. Diagnostic and therapeutic outcome assessment. Groningen: University of Groningen; 1991. pp. 12-21.
- Okeson JP. Orofacial pain: guidelines for assessment, diagnosis, and management. Chicago: Quintessence Publishing; 1996.
- Gage JP. Collagen biosynthesis related to temporomandibular joint clicking in childhood. J Prosthet Dent 1985;53:714-717. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-3913(85)90030-7
- Rasmussen OC. Longitudinal study of transpharyngeal radiography in temporomandibular arthropathy. Scand J Dent Res 1980;88:257-268.
- Rasmussen OC. Clinical findings during the course of temporomandibular arthropathy. Scand J Dent Res 1981;89:283-288.
- Hunter A, Kalathingal S. Diagnostic imaging for temporomandibular disorders and orofacial pain. Dent Clin North Am 2013;57:405-418. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cden.2013.04.008
- Deshpande P, Patil K, Guledgud MV, D’souza RS. Diagnostic imaging in TMJ osteoarthritis: a case report and overview. Int J Dental Sci Res 2015;3:56-59.
- Huh JK, Kim HG, Ko JY. Magnetic resonance imaging of temporomandibular joint synovial fluid collection and disk morphology. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 2003;95:665-671. https://doi.org/10.1067/moe.2003.159
- Palconet G, Ludlow JB, Tyndall DA, Lim PF. Correlating cone beam CT results with temporomandibular joint pain of osteoarthritic origin. Dentomaxillofac Radiol 2012;41:126-130. https://doi.org/10.1259/dmfr/60489374
- Schiffman E, Ohrbach R, Truelove E, et al. Diagnostic Criteria for Temporomandibular Disorders (DC/TMD) for clinical and research applications: recommendations of the International RDC/TMD Consortium Network and Orofacial Pain Special Interest Group. J Oral Facial Pain Headache 2014;28:6-27. https://doi.org/10.11607/jop.1151
- Lee KE. Condylar resorption: case reports and review. Korean J Oral Med 2007;32:69-79.
- Okeson JP. Management of temporomandibular disorders and occlusion. 7th ed. St. Louis: Elsevier Health Sciences; 2014.
- Bates RE Jr, Gremillion HA, Stewart CM. Degenerative joint disease. Part II: symptoms and examination findings. Cranio 1994;12:88-92. https://doi.org/10.1080/08869634.1994.11678000
- Laskin DM, Greene CS, Hylander WL. Temporomandibular disorders: an evidence-based approach to diagnosis and treatment. Chicago: Quintessence Publishing Co.; 2006.
- Machon V, Rehorova M, Sedy J, Foltan R. Platelet-rich plasma in temporomandibular joint osteoarthritis therapy: a 3-month follow-up pilot study. J Arthritis 2013. doi: 10.4172/2167-7921.1000112. https://doi.org/10.4172/2167-7921.1000112
- Wadhwa S, Kapila S. TMJ disorders: future innovations in diagnostics and therapeutics. J Dent Educ 2008;72:930-947.
- Kurt H, Oztas E, Gencel B, Tasan DA, Oztas D. An adult case of temporomandibular joint osteoarthritis treated with splint therapy and the subsequent orthodontic occlusal reconstruction. Contemp Clin Dent 2011;2:364-367. https://doi.org/10.4103/0976-237X.91805
- Su N, Liu Y, Yang X, Luo Z, Shi Z. Correlation between bony changes measured with cone beam computed tomography and clinical dysfunction index in patients with temporomandibular joint osteoarthritis. J Craniomaxillofac Surg 2014;42:1402-1407. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcms.2014.04.001
- Wiese M, Svensson P, Bakke M, et al. Association between temporomandibular joint symptoms, signs, and clinical diagnosis using the RDC/TMD and radiographic findings in temporomandibular joint tomograms. J Orofac Pain 2008;22:239-251.
- Lim MJ, Lee JY. Computed tomographic study of the patterns of oesteoarthritic change which occur on the mandibular condyle. J Craniomaxillofac Surg 2014;42:1897-1902. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcms.2014.07.009
- Gray RJ. Pain dysfunction syndrome and osteoarthrosis related to unilateral and bilateral temporomandibular joint symptoms. J Dent 1986;14:156-159. https://doi.org/10.1016/0300-5712(86)90017-5
- Boering G. Temporomandibular joint arthrosis: a clinical and radiographic investigation. Groningen: Van Denderen; 1994.
- Lamot U, Strojan P, Surlan Popovic K. Magnetic resonance imaging of temporomandibular joint dysfunction-correlation with clinical symptoms, age, and gender. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol 2013;116:258-263. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.oooo.2013.04.019
- Kye MK, Choi YY, Lee KJ. The correlations between temporomandibular joint symptoms and magnetic resonance imaging findings in German patients. J Korean Dent Sci 2015;8:16-27. https://doi.org/10.5856/JKDS.2015.8.1.16
- Ahmad M, Hollender L, Anderson Q, et al. Research diagnostic criteria for temporomandibular disorders (RDC/TMD): development of image analysis criteria and examiner reliability for image analysis. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 2009;107:844-860. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tripleo.2009.02.023
- Meng JH, Zhang WL, Liu DG, Zhao YP, Ma XC. Diagnostic evaluation of the temporomandibular joint osteoarthritis using cone beam computed tomography compared with conventional radiographic technology. Beijing Da Xue Xue Bao 2007;39:26-29.