- Volume 42 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Reduction of Chronic Temporomandibular Joint Dislocation by Surgical Traction: Two Cases Report
- Lim, Hye-Youn (Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Inje University Busan Paik Hospital) ;
- Park, Sang-Jun (Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Inje University Busan Paik Hospital) ;
- Jung, Tae-Young (Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Inje University Busan Paik Hospital)
- Received : 2017.04.26
- Accepted : 2017.06.13
- Published : 2017.06.30
Chronic temporomandibular joint dislocation is defined as an acute dislocation that cannot be reduced or that recurs for more than one month. The management of dislocation depends on patient status and the duration of dislocation and ranges from conservative reduction to a surgical approach. In the present cases, a 64-year-old male was referred to our department for treatment of chronic dislocation for 6 weeks. The dislocation might be occurred by endotracheal intubation. A 70-year-old female was referred to our department with repeat right condyle dislocation after reduction of dislocation at a local clinic. When she visited for later treatment of new dentures, her condyle had been dislocated again for several weeks. In both cases, we tried to treat the dislocation with several manipulations, which were unsuccessful. Finally, chronic dislocation was successfully treated by surgical traction under general anesthesia without relapse. Surgical traction is a simple, effective option with the lowest morbidity of surgical procedures for chronic dislocation when conservative reduction is unsuccessful.
- Baur DA, Jannuzzi JR, Mercan U, Quereshy FA. Treatment of long term anterior dislocation of the TMJ. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2013;42:1030-1033. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijom.2012.11.005
- Shakya S, Ongole R, Sumanth KN, Denny CE. Chronic bilateral dislocation of temporomandibular joint. Kathmandu Univ Med J (KUMJ) 2010;8:251-256.
- Sidalingapa MN, Singh M, Dwarakanath S, Mittal N. Chronic bilateral condylar dislocation. Int J Contemp Dent 2011;2:12-15.
- Kim CH, Kim DH. Chronic dislocation of temporomandibular joint persisting for 6 months: a case report. J Korean Assoc Oral Maxillofac Surg 2012;38:305-309. https://doi.org/10.5125/jkaoms.2012.38.5.305
- Schwartz AJ. Dislocation of the mandible: a case report. AANA J 2000;68:507-513.
- Saikia D. Long standing temporomandibular joint dislocation: a case report. IOSR-JDMS 2000;13:3-8.
- Ardehali MM, Kouhi A, Meighani A, Rad FM, Emami H. Temporomandibular joint dislocation reduction technique. Ann Plast Surg 2009;63:176-178. https://doi.org/10.1097/SAP.0b013e31818937aa
- Huang IY, Chen CM, Kao YH, Chen CM, Wu CW. Management of long-standing mandibular dislocation. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2011;40:810-814. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijom.2011.02.031
- Brachmann F. Eigenblutinjektionen bei rezidivierendren, nichtfixierten Kiefergelenkluxationen. Zahnarztl 1964;15:97.
- Machon V, Abramowicz S, Paska J, Dolwick MF. Autologous blood injection for the treatment of chronic recurrent temporomandibular joint dislocation. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2009;67:114-119.
- Moore AP, Wood GD. Medical treatment of recurrent temporomandibular joint dislocation using botulinum toxin A. Br Dent J 1997;183:415-417. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.bdj.4809523
- Vasconcelos BC, Porto GG, Neto JP, Vasconcelos CF. Treatment of chronic mandibular dislocations by eminectomy: follow-up of 10 cases and literature review. Med Oral Patol Oral Cir Bucal 2009;14:e593-e596.
- Adekeye EO, Shamia RI, Cove P. Inverted L-shaped ramus osteotomy for prolonged bilateral dislocation of the temporomandibular joint. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol 1976;41:568-577. https://doi.org/10.1016/0030-4220(76)90308-X
- Rowe NL, William JLI. Maxillofacial injuries. Vol. 1. 2nd ed. Edinburgh London, Madrid Melbourne, New York and Tokyo: Churchill Livingstone; 1994. pp. 421-422.
- Stakesby Lewis JE. A simple technique for reduction of longstanding dislocation of the mandible. Br J Oral Surg 1981;19:52-56. https://doi.org/10.1016/0007-117X(81)90021-4
- El-Attar A, Ord RA. Long-standing mandibular dislocations: report of a case, review of the literature. Br Dent J 1986;160:91-94. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.bdj.4805776