- Volume 17 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
A Direct Single-phase Quasi-resonant AC-AC Converter with Zero Voltage Switching
- Antchev, Mihail Hristov (Faculty of Electronic Engineering and Technology, Technical University-Sofia)
- Received : 2016.10.11
- Accepted : 2017.04.01
- Published : 2017.07.20
The present article reports an analysis and investigation of a direct AC-AC quasi-resonant converter. A bidirectional power device, whose switching frequency is lower than the frequency of the current passing through the load, is used for its realization. The zero voltage switching mode is described when zero voltage on the power device is available by measuring it with the control system. The continuous current in the resonant inductance by switching the power device at zero voltage is considered, and it is characterized by two sub-modes. A mathematical analysis of the processes has been made and comparative results from the computer simulation and experimental study have been brought. The converter can be used in a wide areas of power electronics: induction heating, wireless power transfer, AC-DC converters, etc.
- P. Chlebis, P. Simonik, and M. Kabasta, "The comparision of direct and indirect matrix converters," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Symposium Proceedings, pp. 310-313, 2010.
- Trentin, P. Zanchetta, J. Clare, and P. Wheeler, "Automated optimal design of input filters for direct AC/AC matrix converters," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 59, No. 7, pp. 2811-2822, Jul. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2011.2163283
- M. Moghaddami, A. Anzalchi, and A. Sarwat, "Single-state three-phase AC-AC matrix converter for inductive power transfer systems," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 63, No. 10, pp. 6613-6622, May 2016. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2016.2563408
- M. Antchev and G. Kunov, "Investigation on three- phase to single - Phase matrix converter," Facta Universitatis, Ser. Electrical Engineering, Vol. 22, No. 2, pp. 245-252, Aug. 2009. https://doi.org/10.2298/FUEE0902245A
- G. Kunov, M. Antchev, and E. Gadjeva, "Computer modeling of three-phase to single-phase matrix converter using MATLAB," Electronics, Vol. 14, No. 1, pp. 50-55, Jun. 2010.
- O. Lucia, C. Carrereto, J. M. Burdio, J. Acero, and F. Almazan, "Multiple-output resonant matrix converter for multiple induction heaters," IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., Vol. 48, No. 4, pp. 1387-1396, Jul./Aug. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2012.2199456
- H. Sugimura, S. Mun, S. Kwon, T. Mishima, and M. Nakaoka, "High frequency resonant matrix converter using one-chip reverse blocking IGBT-based bidirectional switches for induction heating," Power Electronics Specialist Conference Proceedings, pp. 3960-3966, 2008.
- H. Sugimura, A. M. Eid, S. K. Kown, H. W. Lee, E. Hiraki, and M. Nakaoka, "High frequency cyclo-converter using one-chip reverse blocking IGBT based bidirectional power switches," International Conference of Electrical Machines and Systems, Vol. 2, pp. 1095-1100, 2005.
- H. Sugimura, S. P. Mun, S. K. Kwon, E. Hiraki, and M. Nkaoka, "Active voltage clamped edge-resonant soft switching PWM high frequency cyclo-converter using bidirectional switches," IEEE Power Electronics Specialists Conference, pp. 3917-3923, 2008.
- H. Sornago, O. Lucia, A. Mediano, and J. Burdio, "A Class-E direct AC-AC converter with multicicle modulation for induction heating systems," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 61, No. 5, pp. 2521-2531, May 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2013.2281164
- S. Aldhaher, P. Luk, and A. Bati, "Wireless power transfer using class E inverter with saturable DC-feed inductor," IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., Vol. 50, No. 4, pp. 2710-2718, Jul./Aug. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2014.2300200
- Z. Kaczmarczyk, "A high-efficiency Class E inverter - computer model, laboratory measurement and SPICE simulation," Bulletin of the Polish Academy of Sciences, Vol. 55, No. 4, pp. 411-417, 2007.
- M. Bland, L. Emprinham , J. Clare, and P. Wheeler, "A new resonant soft switching topology for direct AC-AC COnverters," Power Electronics Specialist Conference Proceedings, pp. 72-77, 2002.
- H. Sornago, O. Lucia, A. Mediano, and J. Burdio, "Direct AC-AC resonant boost converter for efficient domestic induction heating application," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 29, No. 3, pp. 1128-1140, Mar. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2013.2262154
- H. Sornago, O. Lucia, A. Mediano, and J. Burdio, "Efficient and cost - Effective ZCS direct AC-AC resonant converter for induction heating," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 61, No. 5, pp. 2546-2556, May 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2013.2262752
- R. Moghe, R. P. Kandula, A. Iyer, and D. Divan, "Losses in medium -Voltage megawatt-rated direct AC/AC power electronics converters," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 30, No. 7, pp. 3553-3562, Jul. 2015. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2014.2350003
- H. L. Li, A. Hu, and G. Covic, "A direct AC-AC converter for inductive power- transfer systems," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 27, No. 2, pp. 661-669, Feb. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2011.2159397
- H. L. Li, A. Hu, and G. Covic, "Current fluctuation analysis of a quantum ac-ac resonant converter for contactless power transfer," Energy Conversion Congress and Symposium Proceedings, pp. 1838-1843, 2010.
- X. Ju, L. Dong, X. Liao, and Y. Jin, "An AC-AC energy injection resonant converter for wireless power transfer applications," Future Energy Electronics Conference (IFEEC), pp. 1-5, 2015.
- H. L. Li, P. A. Hu, and G. Covic, "A high frequency AC-AC converter for inductive power transfer (IPT) applications," Wireless Power Transfer -principles and Engineering Explorations, INTECH, Chapter 13, pp. 253-272, 2012.
- F. Kusumah, S. Vuorsalo, and J. Kyyra, "A direct three-phase to single-phase AC/AC converter for contactless electric vehicle charger," European Power Electronics and Applications (EPE'15 ECCE-Europe), pp. 1-10, 2015.
- J. Itoh, T. Iida, and A. Odaka, "Realisation of high effiicency AC link converter system based on AC/AC direct conversion techniques with RB-IGBT," 32th Annual Conference on IEEE Industrial Electronics (IECON 2006), Paris, France, pp. 1703-1708, 2006.
- H. Benkaci, A. Cheriti, M. Benslima, and A.Sandali, "PDM control optimization applied to an AC/AC converter using an improved genetic algorithm," Canadian Conference on Electrical and Computer Engineering, pp.2232-2236, 2006.
- M. Antchev, "Analysis and Investigation of Direct AC-AC Quasi - Resonant Converter," Americal Journal of Electrical Power and Energy Systems, Vol. 4, No. 6-1, pp. 1-7, Dec. 2015.