- Volume 17 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Improved Control Strategy for T-type Isolated DC/DC Converters
- Liu, Dong (Department of Energy Technology, Aalborg University) ;
- Deng, Fujin (School of Electrical Engineering, Southeast University) ;
- Wang, Yanbo (Department of Energy Technology, Aalborg University) ;
- Chen, Zhe (Department of Energy Technology, Aalborg University)
- Received : 2017.01.22
- Accepted : 2017.04.18
- Published : 2017.07.20
T-type isolated DC/DC converters have recently attracted attention due to their numerous advantages, including few components, low cost, and symmetrical operation of transformers. This study proposes an improved control strategy for increasing the efficiency of T-type isolated DC/DC converters. Under the proposed strategy, the primary circulating current flows through the auxiliary switches (metal-oxide-semiconductor field-effect transistors) instead of their body diodes in free-wheeling periods. Such feature can reduce conduction losses, thereby improving the efficiency of T-type isolated DC/DC converters. The operation principles and performances of T-type isolated DC/DC converters under the proposed control strategy are analyzed in detail and verified through the simulation and experimental results.
- F. Blaabjerg, Z. Chen, and S. B. Kjaer, "Power electronics as efficient interface in dispersed power generation systems," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 19, No. 5, pp. 1184-1194, Sep. 2004. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2004.833453
- M. Yilmaz and P. T. Krein, "Review of the impact of vehicle-to-grid technologies on distribution systems and utility interfaces", IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 28, No. 12, pp. 5673-5689, Dec. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2012.2227500
- S. Y. Kim, H. S. Song, and K. Nam, "Idling port isolation control of three-port bidirectional converter for EVs", IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 27, No. 5, pp. 2495-2506, May 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2011.2172225
- T. Hirose and H. Matsuo, "Standalone hybrid wind-solar power generation system applying dump power control without dump load", IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 59, No. 2, pp. 988-997, Feb. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2011.2159692
- H. Wu, P. Xu, H. Hu, Z. Zhou, and Y. Xing, "Multiport converters based on integration of full-bridge and bidirectional DC-DC topologies for renewable generation systems", IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 61, No. 2, pp. 856-869, Feb. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2013.2254096
- Z. Liang, R. Guo, J. Li, and A. Q. Huang, "A high-efficiency PV module integrated DC/DC converter for PV energy harvest in FREEDM systems," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 26, No. 3, pp. 897-909, Mar. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2011.2107581
- D. Liu, F. Deng, and Z. Chen, "Five-level active-neutral-point-clamped DC/DC converter for medium voltage DC grids," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 32, No. 5, pp. 3402-3412, May 2017. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2016.2585618
- B. Zhao, Q. Song, and W. Liu, "Efficiency characterization and optimization of isolated bidirectional DC-DC converter based on dual-phase-shift control for DC distribution application", IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 28, No. 4, pp. 1711-1727, Apr. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2012.2210563
- C. Mi, H. Bai, C. Wang, and S. Gargies, "Operation, design and control of dual H-bridge-based isolated bidirectional DC-DC converter," IET Power Electron., Vol. 1, No. 4, pp. 507-517, Dec. 2008. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-pel:20080004
- U. Prasanna and A. Rathore, "Extended range ZVS active-clamped current-fed full-bridge isolated DC/DC converter for fuel cell applications: Analysis, design and experimental results," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 60, No. 7, pp. 2661-2672, Jul. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2012.2194977
- F. Krismer and J. W. Kolar, "Efficiency-optimized high-current dual active bridge converter for automotive applications," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 59, No. 7, pp. 2745-2760, Jul. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2011.2112312
- F. Sedaghati, S. H. Hosseini, M. Sabahi, and G. B. Gharehpetian, "Extended configuration of dual active bridge DC-DC converter with reduced number of switches," IET Power Electron., Vol. 8, No. 3, pp. 401-416, Mar. 2015. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-pel.2014.0375
- F. Canales, P. Barbosa, and F. C. Lee, "A zero-voltage and zero-current switching three-level DC/DC converter," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 17, No. 6, pp. 898-904, Nov. 2002. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2002.805609
- X. Ruan, B. Li,Q. Chen, S. C. Tan, and C.K. Tse, "Fundamental considerations of three-level DC-DC converters: Topologies, analyses, and control," IEEE Trans. Circuits Syst. I, Reg. Papers., Vol. 55, No. 11, pp. 3733-3743, Dec. 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TCSI.2008.927218
- B. Lin and C. Chao, "Analysis of an interleaved three-level ZVS converter with series-connected transformers," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 28, No. 7, pp. 3088-3099, Jul. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2012.2221745
- Y. Shi, and X. Yang, "Wide range soft switching PWM three-level DC-DC converters suitable for industrial applications," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 29, No. 2, pp. 603-616, Feb. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2013.2258357
- Y. Jang, and M. Jovanovic, "A new three-level soft-switched converter," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 20, No. 1, pp. 75-81, Jan. 2005. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2004.839832
- W. Li, S. Zong, F. Liu, H. Yang, X. He, and B. Wu, "Secondary-side phase-shift-controlled ZVS DC/DC converter with wide voltage gain for high input voltage applications," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 28, No. 11, pp. 5128-5139, Nov. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2013.2242490
- Z. Guo, K. Sun, and D. Sha, "Improved ZVS three-level DC-DC converter with reduced circulating loss," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 31, No. 9, pp. 6394-6404, Dec. 2015. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2015.2505169
- X. Yu, K. Jin, and Z. Liu, "Capacitor voltage control strategy for half-bridge three-level DC/DC converter," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 29, No. 4, pp. 1557-1561, Apr. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2013.2279173
- B. Lin and S. Zhang, "Analysis and implementation of a three-level hybrid DC-DC converter with the balanced capacitor voltages," IET Power Electron., Vol. 9, No. 3, pp. 457-465, Mar. 2016. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-pel.2015.0230
- D. Liu, F. Deng, Z. Gong, and Z. Chen, "Input-parallel output-parallel (IPOP) three-level (TL) DC/DC converters with interleaving control strategy for minimizing and balancing capacitor ripple currents," IEEE J. Emerg. Sel. Topics Power Electron., to be published. DOI: 10.1109/JESTPE.2017.2649221.
- M. Schweizer and J. W. Kolar, "Design and implementation of a highly efficient three-level T-type converter for low-voltage applications", IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 28, No. 2, pp. 899-907, Feb. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2012.2203151
- U.-M. Choi, F. Blaabjerg, and K.-B. Lee, "Reliability improvement of a T-type three-level inverter with fault-tolerant control strategy," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 30, No. 5, pp. 2660-2673, May 2015. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2014.2325891
- G. H. Aghdam, "Optimised active harmonic elimination technique for three-level T-type inverters," IET Power Electron., Vol. 6, No. 3, pp. 425-433, Mar. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-pel.2012.0492
- P. Alemi, S.-Y. Jeong, and D.-C. Lee, "Active damping of LLCL filters using PR control for grid-connected three-level T-type converters," Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 15, No. 3, pp. 786-795, May 2015. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2015.15.3.786
- G. E. Sfakianakis, J. Everts, H. Huisman, T. Borrias, C. G. E. Wijnands, and E. A. Lomonova, "Charge-based ZVS modulation of a 3-5 level bidirectional dual active bridge DC-DC converter," in Proc. Energy Conversion Congress and Exposition, 2016.
- D. G. Bandeira, S. A. Mussa, and I. Barbi, "A ZVS-PWM T-type isolated DC-DC converter," in Proc. 1th Annu. Southern Power Electron, Nov/Dec. 2015.
- D. G. Bandeira and I. Barbi, "A T-type isolated zero voltage switching DC-DC converter with capacitive output," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., to be published.
- J. Millan, P. Godignon, X. Perpina, A. Perez-Tomas, and J. Rebollo, "A survey of wide bandgap power semiconductor devices," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 29, No. 5, pp. 2155-2163, May 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2013.2268900
- I. O. Lee and G. W. Moon, "A new asymmetrical half-bridge converter with zero DC-offset current in transformer," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 28, No. 5, pp. 2297-2306, May 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2012.2218258
- M. T. Zhang, M. M. Jovanovic, and F. C. Lee, "Design considerations and performance evaluations of synchronous rectifications in flyback converters," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 13, No. 3, pp. 538-546, May 1998.
- D. Graovac, M. Purschel, and A. Kiep, "MOSFET power losses calculation using the data-sheet parameters," Infineon Technol., Dresden,Germany, Jul. 2006, Appl. note.