- Volume 17 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Improved Transfer Functions for Modified Sheppard-Taylor Converter that Operates in CCM: Modeling and Application
- Wang, Faqiang (State Key Laboratory of Electrical Insulation and Power Equipment, School of Electrical Engineering, Xi'an Jiaotong University)
- Received : 2016.09.09
- Accepted : 2017.04.18
- Published : 2017.07.20
The improved transfer functions of the modified Sheppard-Taylor (MS-T) converter, which is capable of regulating output voltage under a wide range of input voltage and load variations, negligible current ripple, and fewer components in comparison to the Sheppard-Taylor (S-T) converter, operating in continuous conduction mode (CCM) are investigated in this study. Its DC equilibrium point, small signal model, and transfer functions are derived and analyzed. Then, the voltage controller is applied for this MS-T converter. The comparisons between the derived model and the existing model are presented. The hardware circuit is designed and the circuit experiments are provided for validation. The results show that the improved transfer functions of the MS-T converter are more effective and general than the previous ones for describing its real characteristics.
Supported by : National Natural Science Foundation of China
- S. Ben-Yaakov and I. Zeltser, "The dynamics of a PWM boost converter with resistive input," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 46, No. 3, pp. 613-619, Jun. 1999. https://doi.org/10.1109/41.767069
- Y. Fuad, W. L. de Koning, and J. W. van der Woude, "On the stability of the pulsewidth-modulated Cuk converter," IEEE Trans. Circuits Syst. II, Exp. Briefs, Vol. 51, No. 8, pp. 412-420, Aug. 2004. https://doi.org/10.1109/TCSII.2004.832783
- V. Subramanian and S. Manimaran, "Implementation of a sliding mode controller for single ended primary inductor converter," Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 15, No. 1, pp. 39-53, Jan. 2015. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2015.15.1.39
- T. F. W and Y. K. Chen, "Modeling PWM DC/DC converters out of basic converter units," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 13, No. 5, pp. 870-881, Sep. 1998.
- F. L. Luo and H. Ye, "Positive output super-lift converters," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 18, No. 1, pp. 105-113, Jan. 2003. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2002.807198
- K. I. Hwu and Y. T. Yau, "KY converter and its derivatives," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 24, No. 1, pp. 128-137, Jan. 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2008.2009178
- E. H. Ismail, A. J. Sabzali, and M. A. Al-Saffar, "A high-quality rectifier based on Sheppard-Taylor converter operating in discontinuous capacitor voltage mode," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 55, No. 1, pp. 38-48, Jan. 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2007.896132
- C. C. Hua, H. C. Chiang, and B. Y. Li, "Analysis and design of a novel Boost circuit originated in Sheppard-Taylor topology," in 6th IEEE Conference on Industrial Electronics Applications (ICIEA), pp. 1593-1598, Jun. 2011.
- C. C. Hua, H. C. Chiang, and C. W. Chuang, "New boost converter based on Sheppard-Taylor topology," IET Power Electronics, Vol. 7, No. 1, pp. 167-176, Jan. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-pel.2013.0048
- C. C. Hua, H. C. Chiang, and C. W. Chuang, "Small signal analysis of a new boost converter based on Sheppard-Taylor topology," Journal of the Chinese Institute of Engineering, Vol. 37, No. 3, pp. 346-357, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1080/02533839.2013.799947
- PSIM User's Guide, Version 9.0, Release 3, Powersim Inc. May 2010.
- N. Femia, M. Fortunato, G. Petrone, G. Spagnuolo, and M. Vitelli, "Dynamic model of one-cycle control for converters operating in continuous and discontinuous conduction modes," International Journal of Circuit Theory and Applications, Vol. 37, pp. 661-684, May 2008.
- R. Middlebrook and S. Cuk, "A general unified approach to modelling switching-converter power stages," International Journal of Electronics, Vol. 42, No. 6, pp. 521-550, 1977. https://doi.org/10.1080/00207217708900678
- B. Swaminathan and V. Ramanarayanan, "Application of network analyzer in measuring the performance functions of power supply," Journal of the Indian Institute of Science, Vol. 86, No. 4, pp. 315-325, 2006.