- Volume 17 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Design of Domestic Induction Cooker based on Optimal Operation Class-E Inverter with Parallel Load Network under Large-Signal Excitation
- Charoenwiangnuea, Patipong (Dept. of Electronic and Telecommunication Eng., King Mongkut's University of Technology Thonburi (KMUTT)) ;
- Ekkaravarodome, Chainarin (Advanced Power Electronics and Experiment Laboratory (APEx Lab), Dept. of Instrumentation and Electronics Eng., King Mongkut's University of Technology North Bangkok (KMUTNB)) ;
- Boonyaroonate, Itsda (Dept. of Electrical Eng., King Mongkut's University of Technology Thonburi (KMUTT)) ;
- Thounthong, Phatiphat (Renewable Energy Research Centre (RERC), Dept. of Teacher Training in Electrical Eng., King Mongkut's University of Technology North Bangkok (KMUTNB)) ;
- Jirasereeamornkul, Kamon (Dept. of Electronic and Telecommunication Eng., King Mongkut's University of Technology Thonburi (KMUTT))
- Received : 2017.01.11
- Accepted : 2017.05.04
- Published : 2017.07.20
A design of a Class-E inverter with only one inductor and one capacitor is presented. It is operated at the optimal operation mode for domestic cooker. The design principle is based on the zero-voltage derivative switching (ZVDS) of the Class-E inverter with a parallel load network, which is a parallel resonant equivalent circuit. An induction load characterization is obtained from a large-signal excitation test bench, which is the key to an accurate design of the induction cooker system. Consequently, the proposed scheme provides a more systematic, simple, accurate, and feasible solution than the conventional quasi-resonant inverter analysis based on series load network methodology. The derivative of the switch voltage is zero at the turn-on transition, and its absolute value is relatively small at the turn-off transition. Switching losses and noise are reduced. The parameters of the ZVDS Class-E inverter for the domestic induction cooker must be selected properly, and details of the design of the components of this Class-E inverter need to be addressed. A 1,200 W prototype is designed and evaluated to verify the validation of the proposed topology.
Supported by : National Research Council of Thailand, King Mongkut's University of Technology North Bangkok
- P. H. Peters, "A portable cool-surface induction cooking appliance," IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., Vol. IA-10, No. 6, pp. 814-822, Nov. 1974. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.1974.349233
- J. Acero, J. M. Burdio, L. A. Barragan, D. Navarro, R. Alonso, J. Ramon, F. Monterde, P. Hernandez, S. Llorente, and I. Garde, "Domestic induction appliances," IEEE Industry Applications Magazine, Vol. 16, No. 2, pp. 39-47, Mar./Apr. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/MIAS.2009.935495
- S. Yachiangkam, A. Sangswang, S. Naetiladdanon, C. Koompai, and S. Chudjuarjeen, "Steady-state analysis of ZVS and NON-ZVS full- bridge inverters with asymmetrical control for induction heating applications," Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 15, No. 2, pp. 544-554, Mar. 2015. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2015.15.2.544
- K. P. Sharath, N. Vishwanathan, and B. K. Murthy, "Multiple-load induction cooking application with three-leg inverter configuration," Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 15, No. 5, pp.1392-1401, Sep. 2015. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2015.15.5.1392
- H. Sarnago, O. Lucia, A. Mediano, and J. M. Burdio, "High-efficiency parallel quasi-resonant current source inverter featuring SiC metal-oxide semiconductor field-effect transistors for induction heating systems with coupled inductors," IET Power Electronics, Vol. 6, No.1, pp. 183-191, Jan. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-pel.2012.0537
- H. Sarnago, O. Lucia, and J. M. Burdio, "A comparative evaluation of SiC power devices for high-performance domestic induction heating," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 62, No. 8, pp. 4795-4804, Aug. 2015. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2015.2405057
- H. Omori, H. Yamashita, M. Nakaoka, and T. Maruhashi, "A novel type induction-heating single-ended resonant inverter using new bipolar Darlington-Transistor," IEEE Power Electronics Specialists Conference, pp. 590-599, 1985.
- K. Chatterjee, and V. Ramanarayanan, "Optimum design of single switch resonant induction heater," IEEE International Symposium on Industrial Electronics, Vol.2, pp. 858-859, 1992.
- I. Hirota, H. Omori, and M. Nakaoka, "Performance evaluations of single-ended quasi-load resonant inverter incorporating advanced-2nd generation IGBT for soft switching," International Conference on Industrial Electronics, Control, Instrumentation, and Automation, Vol. 1, pp. 223-228, 1992.
- C. C. Fang, "Exact sampled-data analysis of quasi-resonant converters with finite filter inductance and capacitance," International Journal of Circuit Theory and Applications, Vol. 8, No. 1, pp. 49-63, Jan. 2002.
- M. B. Kim, K. B. Park, and M. J. Youn, "A novel single-stage AC-DC converter with quasi-resonant zero-voltage-switching for high power factor and high efficient applications," International Journal of Circuit Theory and Applications, Vol. 39, No. 7, pp. 733-749, Jul. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1002/cta.656
- I. Sheikhian, N. Kaminski, S. Voss, W. Scholz, and E. Herweg, "Optimisation of the reverse conducting IGBT for zero-voltage switching applications such as induction cookers," IET Circuits, Devices & Systems, Vol. 8, No. 3, pp. 176-181, May 2014. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-cds.2013.0215
- N. O. Sokal, "Class E high-efficiency switching-mode tuned power amplifier with only one inductor and one capacitor in load network-approximate analysis," IEEE Journal of Solid-State Circuits, Vol. 16, No. 4, pp. 380-384, Aug. 1981. https://doi.org/10.1109/JSSC.1981.1051605
- M. K. Kazimierczuk, "Exact analysis of Class E tuned power amplifier with only one inductor and one capacitor in load network," IEEE Journal of Solid-State Circuits, Vol. SC-18, No. 2, pp. 214-221, Apr. 1983.
- C. Ekkaravarodome, P. Charoenwiangnuea, and K. Jirasereeamornkul, "The simple temperature control for induction cooker based on Class-E resonant inverter," International Conference on Electrical Engineering/Electronics, Computer, Telecommunications and Information Technology, pp. 1-6, May 2013.
- D.Y. Lee and D. S. Hyun, "A new hybrid control scheme using active-clamped Class-E inverter with induction heating jar for high power applications," Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 2, No. 2, pp.104-111, Apr. 2002.
- Y.D. Choi, D.Y. Lee, and D.S. Hyun, "A study on the new control scheme of Class-E inverter for IH-jar application with clamped Voltage characteristics using pulse frequency modulation," IEEE Industry Applications Conference, Vol. 2, pp. 1346-1351, 2002.
- H. Sarnago, O. Lucia, A. Mediano, and J. M. Burdio, "A Class-E direct ac-ac converter with multi cycle modulation for induction heating systems," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 61, No. 5, pp. 2521-2530, May. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2013.2281164
- H. Sugimura, H. Muraoka, T. Ahmed, S. Chandhaket, E. Hiraki, M. Nakaoka, and H.-W. Lee, "Dual mode phase-shifted ZVS-PWM series load resonant high-frequency inverter for induction heating super heated steamer," Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 4, No. 3, pp.138-151, Jul. 2004.
- W.-S. Choi, N.-J. Park, D.-Y. Lee, and D.-S. Hyun, "A new control scheme for a Class-D inverter with induction heating jar application by constant switching frequency," Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 5, No. 4, pp.272-281, Oct. 2005.
- S. K. Han, G. W. Moon, and M. J. Youn, "A high efficiency ZVS PWM asymmetrical half bridge converter for plasma display panel sustaining power modules," Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 5, No. 1, pp. 67-75, Jan. 2005.
- N. A. Ahmed, T. Iwai, H. Omori, H. W. Lee, and M. Nakaoka, "A novel auxiliary edge-resonant snubber-assisted soft switching PWM high frequency inverter with series capacitor compensated resonant load for consumer induction heating," Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 6, No. 2, pp.95-103, Apr. 2006.
- Y.-M. Chae, J.-G. Kwon, S.-Y. Han, and H.-H. Sung, "Development of hybrid induction heating system for laser printer," Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 6, No. 2, pp.178-185, Apr. 2006.
- S. S. Lee, S. K. Han, and G. W. Moon, "A new high efficiency half bridge converter with improved ZVS performance," Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 6, No. 3, pp. 187-194, Jul. 2006.
- K. Fathy, S.-K. Kwon, and M. Nakaoka, "Advanced induction heating equipment using dual mode PWM-PDM controlled series load resonant tank high frequency inverters," Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 7, No. 3, pp. 246-256, Jul. 2007.
- Y. Kawaguchi, E. Hiraki, T. Tanaka, and M. Nakaoka, "Basic study of a phase-shifted soft switching high-frequency inverter with boost PFC converter for induction heating," Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 8, No. 2, pp.192-199, Apr. 2008.
- A. Namadmalan, J. S. Moghani, and J. Milimonfared, "A current-fed parallel resonant push-pull inverter with a new cascaded coil flux control for induction heating applications," Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 11, No. 5, pp.632-638, Sep. 2011. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2011.11.5.632
- A. Namadmalan and J. S. Moghani, "Self-oscillating switching technique for current source parallel resonant induction heating systems," Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 12, No. 6, pp.851-858, Nov. 2012. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2012.12.6.851
- B. Nagarajan and R. R. Sathi, "Phase locked loop based pulse density modulation scheme for the power control of induction heating applications," Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 15, No. 1, pp. 65-77, Jan. 2015. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2015.15.1.65
- F. Forest, E. Laboure, F. Costa, and J. Y. Gaspard, "Principle of a multi-load/single converter system for low power induction heating," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 15, No. 2, pp. 223-230, Mar. 2000. https://doi.org/10.1109/63.838094
- O. Lucia, P. Maussion, E. J. Dede, and J. M. Burdio, "Induction heating technology and its applications: past developments, current technology, and future challenges," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 61, No. 5, pp. 2509-2520, May 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2013.2281162
- W. Hurley, and J. Kassakian, "Induction heating of circular ferromagnetic plates," IEEE Trans. Mag., Vol. 15, No. 4, pp. 1174-1181, Jul. 1979. https://doi.org/10.1109/TMAG.1979.1145874
- T. Tanaka, "A new induction cooking range for heating any kind of metal vessels," IEEE Trans. Cons. Electron., Vol. 35, No. 3, pp. 635-641, Aug. 1989. https://doi.org/10.1109/30.44329
- V. Mariani Primiani, S. Kovyryalov, and G. Cerri, "Rigorous electromagnetic model of an induction cooking system," IET Science, Measurement & Technology, Vol. 6, No. 4, pp. 238-246, Jul. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-smt.2011.0145
- J. Acero, C. Carretero, I. Lope, R. Alonso, O. Lucia, and J. M. Burdio, "Analysis of the mutual inductance of planar-lumped inductive power transfer systems," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 60, No. 1, pp. 410-420, Jan. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2011.2164772
- M. K. Kazimierczuk, and D. Czarkowski, "Resonant Power Converters," Wiley: New York, 1995.
- M. K. Kazimierczuk, and A. Abdulkarim, "Current-source parallel-resonant DC/DC converter," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 42, No. 2, pp. 199-208, Apr. 1995. https://doi.org/10.1109/41.370387
- H. W. E. Koertzen, V. J. D. Wyk, and J. A. Ferreira, "An investigation of the analytical computation of inductance and AC resistance of the heat-coil for induction cookers," International Conference on Industry Applications Society Annual Meeting, Vol. 1, pp. 1113-1119,Oct. 1992.
- V. Vlatkovic, D. Borojevic, and F. C. Lee, "Input filter design for power factor correction circuits," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 11, No. 2, pp. 199-205, Jan. 1996. https://doi.org/10.1109/63.484433