- Volume 17 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Increasing the Range of Modulation Indices with the Polarities of Cells and Switching Constraint Reliefs for the Selective Harmonic Elimination Pulse Width Modulation Technique
- Najjar, Mohammad (School of Electrical and Computer Engineering, College of Engineering, University of Tehran) ;
- Iman-Eini, Hossein (School of Electrical and Computer Engineering, College of Engineering, University of Tehran) ;
- Moeini, Amirhossein (School of Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Florida)
- Received : 2016.11.20
- Accepted : 2017.04.08
- Published : 2017.07.20
In this paper an improved low frequency selective harmonic elimination-PWM (SHE-PWM) technique for Cascaded H-bridge (CHB) converters is proposed. The proposed method is able to eliminate low order harmonics from the output voltage of the converter for a wide range of modulation indices. To solve SHE-PWM equations, especially for low modulation indices, a modified method is used which employs either the positive or negative voltage polarities of H-bridge cells to increase the freedom degrees of each cell. Freedom degrees of the switching angles are also used to increase the range of available solutions for non-linear SHE equations. The proposed SHE methods can successfully eliminate up to
- J. Rodriguez, S. Bernet, B. Wu, J. O. Pontt, and S. Kouro, "Multilevel voltage-source-converter topologies for industrial medium-voltage drives," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron, Vol. 54, No. 6, pp. 2930-2945, Dec. 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2007.907044
- F. Z. Peng, J.-S. Lai, J. W. McKeever, and J. VanCoevering, "A multilevel voltage-source inverter with separate DC sources for static VAr generation," IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., Vol. 32, No. 5, pp. 1130-1138, Sep./Oct. 1996. https://doi.org/10.1109/28.536875
- Q. Song and W. Liu, "Control of a cascade STATCOM with star configuration under unbalanced conditions," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 24, No. 1, pp. 45-58, Jan. 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2008.2009172
- N. Flourentzou, V. G. Agelidis, and G. D. Demetriades, "VSC-Based HVDC power transmission systems: An overview," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 24, No. 3, pp.592-602, Mar. 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2008.2008441
- M. Hagiwara, K. Nishimura, and H. Akagi, "A medium-voltage motor drive with a modular multilevel PWM inverter," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 25, No. 7, pp. 1786-1799, Jul. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2010.2042303
- W. Fei, X. Du, and B. Wu, "A generalized formulation of quarter-wave symmetry SHE-PWM problems for multilevel inverters," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 24, No. 7, pp. 1758-1766, Jul. 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2009.2018094
- W. Fei, X. Du, and B. Wu, "A generalized half-wave symmetry SHE-PWM formulation for multilevel voltage inverters," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 57, No. 9, pp. 3030-3038, Sep. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2009.2037647
- M. S. A. Dahidah, G. S. Konstantinou, and V. G. Agelidis, "Selective harmonic elimination pulse-width modulation seven-level cascaded H-bridge converter with optimised DC voltage levels," IET Power Electron., Vol. 5, No. 6, pp. 852-862, Jul. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-pel.2011.0463
- L. M. Tolbert, J. N. Chiasson, D. Zhong, and K. J. McKenzie, "Elimination of harmonics in a multilevel converter with nonequal DC sources," IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., Vol.41, No.1, pp.75-82, Jan.-Feb. 2005. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2004.841162
- M. K. Bakhshizadeh, M. Najjar, F. Blaabjerg, and R. Sajadi, "Using variable DC sources in order to improve the voltage quality of a multilevel STATCOM with low frequency modulation," 2016 18th European Conference on Power Electronics and Applications (EPE'16 ECCE Europe), Karlsruhe, 2016.
- L. K. Haw, M. S. A. Dahidah and H. A. F. Almurib, "SHE-PWM cascaded multilevel inverter with adjustable DC voltage levels control for STATCOM applications," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 29, No. 12, pp. 6433-6444, Dec. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2014.2306455
- J. Vassallo, J.C. Clare, P.W. Wheeler, "A power-equalized harmonic-elimination scheme for utility-connected cascaded H-bridge multilevel converters," The 29th Annual Conference of the IEEE, Industrial Electronics Society, Vol. 2, pp.1185-1190, 2003.
- A. Samadi and S. Farhangi, "A novel scheme at low modulation indices for step modulation of h-bridge multilevel converters," 16th Iranian Conference on Electric Engineering, 2008.
- K. Yang, Q. Zhang, J. Zhang, R. Yuan, Q. Guan, W. Yu, and J. Wang, "Unified selective harmonic elimination for multilevel converters," IEEE Trans. Power Electron, Vol. 32, No. 2, pp. 1579-1590, Feb. 2017. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2016.2548080
- H. Zhao and S. Wang, "A four-quadrant modulation technique to extend modulation index range for multilevel selective harmonic elimination/ compensation using staircase waveforms," IEEE J. Emerg. Sel. Topics Power Electron., Vol. 5, No. 1, pp. 233-243, Mar. 2017. https://doi.org/10.1109/JESTPE.2016.2622158
- R. Aguilera, P. Acuna, P. Lezana, G. Konstantinou, B. Wu, S. Bernet, and V. Agelidis, "Selective harmonic elimination model predictive control for multilevel power converters," IEEE Trans. Power Electron , Vol. 32, No. 3, pp. 2416-2426, Mar. 2017. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2016.2568211
- H. Zhao, T. Jin, S. Wang, and L. Sun, "A real-time selective harmonic elimination based on a transient-free inner closed-loop control for cascaded multilevel inverters," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 31, No. 2, pp. 1000-1014, Feb. 2016. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2015.2413898
- Y. Liu, H. Hong, and A. Q. Huang, "Real-time calculation of switching angles minimizing THD for multilevel inverters with step modulation," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 56, No. 2, pp. 285-293, Feb. 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2008.918461
- S. Sirisukprasert, J.-S. Lai, and T.-H. Liu, "Optimum harmonic reduction with a wide range of modulation indexes for multilevel converters," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 49, No. 4, pp. 875-881, Aug. 2002. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2002.801226
- V. G. Agelidis, A. I. Balouktsis, and C. Cossar, "On attaining the multiple solutions of selective harmonic elimination PWM three-level waveforms through function minimization," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 55, No. 3, pp. 996-1004, Mar. 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2007.909728
- A. Moeini, H. Iman-Eini, and A. Marzoughi, "DC link voltage balancing approach for cascaded H-bridge active rectifier based on selective harmonic elimination-pulse width modulation," IET Power Electron., Vol. 8, No. 4, pp. 583-590, Apr. 2015. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-pel.2014.0086
- L. G. Franquelo, J. Napoles, R. C. P. Guisado, J. I. Leon, M.A. Aguirre, "A flexible selective harmonic mitigation technique to meet grid codes in three-level PWM converters," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 54, No. 6, pp. 3022-3029, Dec. 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2007.907045
- A. Moeini, H. Iman-Eini and M. Bakhshizadeh, "Selective harmonic mitigation-pulse-width modulation technique with variable DC-link voltages in single and three-phase cascaded H-bridge inverters," IET Power Electronics, Vol. 7, No. 4, pp. 924-932, Apr. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-pel.2013.0315
- A. Marzoughi, H. Imaneini, and A. Moeini, "An optimal selective harmonic mitigation technique for high power converters," International Journal of Electrical Power & Energy Systems, Vol. 49, pp. 34-39, Jul. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijepes.2012.12.007
- M. Najjar, A. Moeini, M. K. Bakhshizadeh, F. Blaabjerg, and S. Farhangi, "Optimal selective harmonic mitigation technique on variable DC link cascaded H-bridge converter to meet power quality standards," IEEE J. Emerg. Sel. Topics Power Electron., Vol. 4, No. 3, pp. 1107-1116, Sep. 2016. https://doi.org/10.1109/JESTPE.2016.2555995
- J. Napoles, A. J. Watson, J. J. Padilla, J. I. Leon, L. G. Franquelo, P. W. Wheeler, and M. A. Aguirre, "Selective harmonic mitigation technique for cascaded h-bridge converters with nonequal DC link voltages," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 60, No. 5, pp. 1963-1971, May 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2012.2192896
- A. Moeini, H. Iman-Eini, and M. Najjar, "Non-equal DC link voltages in a cascaded H-Bridge with a selective harmonic mitigation-PWM technique based on the fundamental switching frequency," Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 17, No. 1, pp. 106-114, Jan. 2017. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2017.17.1.106
- A. Kavousi, B. Vahidi, R. Salehi, M. Bakhshizadeh, N. Farokhnia, and S. S. Fathi, "Application of the bee algorithm for selective harmonic elimination strategy in multilevel inverters," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 27, No. 4, pp. 1689-1696, Apr. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2011.2166124
- M. S. A. Dahidah, G. Konstantinou, and V. G. Agelidis, "A review of multilevel selective harmonic elimination PWM: Formulations, solving algorithms, implementation, and applications," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 30, No. 8, pp. 4091-4106, Aug. 2015. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2014.2355226
- M. Dabbaghjamanesh, A. Moeini, M. Ashkaboosi, P. Khazaei, and K. Mirzapalangi, "High performance control of grid connected cascaded H-Bridge active rectifier based on type II-fuzzy logic controller with low frequency modulation technique," International Journal of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Vol. 6, No. 2, pp. 484-494, Apr. 2016.
- A. Moeini, H. Zhao, and S. Wang, "A current reference based selective harmonic current mitigation PWM technique to improve the performance of cascaded H-bridge multilevel active rectifiers," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., to be published.
- A. Moeini, H. Zhao, and S. Wang, "Improve control to output dynamic response and extend modulation index range with hybrid selective harmonic current mitigation-PWM and phase-shift PWM for four-quadrant cascaded H-bridge converters," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., to be published.
- P. Khazaei, S. M. Modares, M. Dabbaghjamanesh, M. Almousa, and A. Moeini. "A high efficiency DC/DC boost converter for photovoltaic applications," International Journal of Soft Computing and Engineering (IJSCE), Vol. 6, No. 2, pp. 31-37, May 2016.
- M. Ashkaboosi, S. M. Nourani, P. Khazaei, M. Dabbaghjamanesh, and A. Moeini. "An optimization technique based on profit of investment and market clearing in wind power systems," American Journal of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Vol. 4, No. 3, pp. 85-91, 2016.