- Volume 17 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Modified Modular Multilevel Converter with Submodule Voltage Fluctuation Suppression
- Huang, Xin (State Key Laboratory of Advanced Electromagnetic Engineering and Technology, School of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Huazhong University of Science and Technology) ;
- Zhang, Kai (State Key Laboratory of Advanced Electromagnetic Engineering and Technology, School of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Huazhong University of Science and Technology) ;
- Kan, Jingbo (State Key Laboratory of Advanced Electromagnetic Engineering and Technology, School of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Huazhong University of Science and Technology) ;
- Xiong, Jian (State Key Laboratory of Advanced Electromagnetic Engineering and Technology, School of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Huazhong University of Science and Technology)
- Received : 2016.05.11
- Accepted : 2017.04.26
- Published : 2017.07.20
Modular multilevel converters (MMCs) have been receiving extensive research interest in high/medium-voltage applications due to its modularity, scalability, reliability, high-voltage capability, and excellent harmonic performance. Submodule capacitors are usually rather bulky because they have to withstand fundamental frequency voltage fluctuations. To reduce the capacitance of these capacitors, this study proposes a modified MMC with an active power decoupling circuit within each submodule. The modified submodule contains an auxiliary half bridge, with its capacitor split in two. Also, the midpoints of the half bridge and the split capacitors are connected by an inductor. With this modified submodule, the fundamental frequency voltage fluctuation can be suppressed to a great extent. The second-order voltage fluctuation, which is the second most significant component in submodule voltage fluctuations, is removed by the proper control of the second-order circulating current. Consequently, the submodule capacitance is significantly reduced. The viability and effectiveness of the proposed new MMC are confirmed by the simulation and experimental results. The proposed MMC is best suited for medium-voltage applications where power density is given a high priority.
Supported by : National Natural Science Foundation of China
- H. Liu, K. Ma, Z. Qin, P. C. Loh, and F. Blaabjerg, "Lifetime estimation of MMC for offshore wind power HVDC application," IEEE J. Emerg. Sel. Topics Power Electron., Vol. 4, No. 2, pp. 504-511, Jun. 2016. https://doi.org/10.1109/JESTPE.2015.2477109
- Y. Chen, Z. Li, S. Zhao, X. Wei, and Y. Kang, "Design and implementation of a modular multilevel converter (MMC) wtih hierarchical redundancy ability for electric ship MVDC system," IEEE J. Emerg. Sel. Topics Power Electron., Vol. 5, No. 1, pp. 189-202, Mar. 2017. https://doi.org/10.1109/JESTPE.2016.2632858
- S. Du and J. Liu, "A study on DC voltage control for chopper-cell-based modular multilevel converters in D-STATCOM application," IEEE Trans. Power Del., Vol. 28, No. 4, pp. 2030-2038, Oct. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRD.2013.2246195
- Z. Shu, M. Liu, L. Zhao, S. Song, Q. Zhou, and X. He, "Predictive harmonic control and its optimal digital implementation for MMC-based active power filter," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 63, No. 8, pp.Aug. 2016.
- S. Kouro, M. Malinowski, K. Gopakumar, J. Pou, L. G. Franquelo, B. Wu, J. Rodriguez, M. A. Perez, and J. I. Leon, "Recent advances and industrial applications of multilevel converters," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 57, No. 8, pp. 2553-2580, Aug. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2010.2049719
- A. Lesnicar and R. Marquardt, "An innovative modular multilevel converter topology suitable for a wide power range," in Proc. Power Tech Conference, pp. 6, 2003.
- A. Alexander and M. Thathan, "Cell capacitor sizing in multilevel converters: cases of the modular multilevel converter and alternate arm converter," IET Renewable Power Generation, Vol. 9, No. 1, pp. 78-88, Mar. 2015. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-rpg.2013.0365
- A. J. Korn, D. M. Winkelnkemper, and D. P. Steimer, "Low output frequency operation of the modular multi-level converter," in Proc. IEEE Energy Convers. Congr. Expo., pp. 3993-3997, 2010.
- K. Ilves, A. Antonopoulos, L. Harnefors, S. Norrga, L. Angquist, and H. Nee, "Capacitor voltage ripple shaping in modular multilevel converters allowing for operating region extension," in Proc. Industrial Electronics, Control and Instrumentation, pp. 4403-4408, 2011.
- S. Debnath and M. Saeedifard, "Optimal control of modular multilevel converters for low-speed operation of motor drives," in Proc. IEEE Applied Power Electronics Conf., pp. 247-254, 2014.
- J. Jung, H. Lee, and S. Sul, "Control strategy for improved dynamic performance of variable-speed drives with modular multilevel converter," IEEE J. Emerg. Sel. Topics Power Electron., Vol. 3, No. 2, pp. 371-380, Jun. 2015. https://doi.org/10.1109/JESTPE.2014.2323955
- A. Antonopoulos, L. Angquist, S. Norrga, K. Ilves, L. Harnefors, and H. Nee, "Modular multilevel converter ac motor drives with constant torque from zero to nominal speed," IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., Vol. 50, No. 3, pp. 1982-1993, May/Jun. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2013.2286217
- J. Kolb, F. Kammerer, M. Gommeringer, and M. Braun, "Cascaded control system of the modular multilevel converter for feeding variable-speed drives," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 30, No. 1, pp. 349-357, Jan. 2015. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2014.2299894
- M. Hagiwara, I. Hasegawa, and H. Akagi, "Start-up and low-speed operation of an electric motor driven by a modular multilevel cascade inverter," IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., Vol. 49, No. 4, pp. 1556-1565, Jul./Aug. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2013.2256331
- K. Wang, Y. Li, Z. Zheng, and L. Xu, "Voltage balancing and fluctuation-suppression methods of floating capacitors in a new modular multilevel converter," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 60, No. 5, pp. 1943-1954, May 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2012.2201433
- L. He, K. Zhang, J. Xiong, S. Fan, X. Chen, and Y. Xue, "New modular multilevel converter with power channels between upper- and lower arms suitable for MV drives," in Proc. IEEE Applied Power Electronics Conf., pp. 799-805, 2015.
- B. Li, Y. Zhang, G. Wang, W. Sun, D. Xu, and W. Wang, "A modified modular multilevel converter with reduced capacitor voltage fluctuation," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 62, No. 10, pp. 6108-6119, Oct. 2015. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2015.2423665
- T. Shimizu, Y. Jin, and G. Kimura, "DC ripple current reduction on a single-phase PWM voltage-source rectifier," IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., Vol. 36, No. 5, pp. 1419-1429, Sept./Oct. 2000. https://doi.org/10.1109/28.871292
- K. Tsuno, T. Shimizu, K. Wada, and K. Ishii, "Optimization of the DC ripple energy compensating circuit," in Proc. Power Electronics Specialists Conference, pp. 316-321, 2004.
- K. Chao, P. Cheng, and T. Shimizu, "New control methods for single phase PWM regenerative rectifier with power decoupling function," in Proc. Power Electronics and Drive Systems, pp. 1091-1096, 2009.
- R. Wang, F. Wang, D. Boroyevich, R. Burgos, R. Lai, P. Ning, and K. Rajashekara, "A high power density single-phase PWM rectifier with active ripple energy storage," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 26, No. 5, pp. 1430-1443, May 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2010.2090670
- H. Li, K. Zhang, H. Zhao, S. Fan, and J. Xiong, "Active power decoupling for high-power single-phase PWM rectifiers," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 28, No. 3, pp. 1308-1319, Mar. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2012.2208764
- W. Qi, H. Wang, X. Tan, G. Wang, and K. D. T. Ngo, "A novel active power decoupling single-phase PWM rectifier topology," in Proc. IEEE Applied Power Electronics Conf., pp. 89-95, 2014.
- Y. Tang, F. Blaabjerg, P. C. Loh, C. Jin, and P. Wang, "Decoupling of Fluctuating Power in Single-Phase Systems Through a Symmetrical Half-Bridge Circuit," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 30, No. 4, pp. 1855-1865, Apr. 2015. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2014.2327134
- H. Zhao, H. Li, C. Min, and K. Zhang, "A modified single-phase h-bridge PWM rectifier with power decoupling," in Proc. Industrial Electronics, Control and Instrumentation, pp. 80-85, 2012.
- D. N. Zmood and D. G. Holmes, "Stationary frame current regulation of PWM inverters with zero steady-state error," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 18, No. 3, pp. 814-822, May 2003. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2003.810852
- S. Fan, K. Zhang, J. Xiong, and Y. Xue, "An improved control system for modular multilevel converters with new modulation strategy and voltage balancing control," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 30, No. 1, pp. 358-371, Jan. 2015. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2014.2304969
- Q. Song, W. Liu, X. Li, H. Rao, S. Xu, and L. Li, "A steady-state analysis method for a modular multilevel converter," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 28, No. 8, pp. 3702-3713, Aug. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2012.2227818
- D. Graovac and M. Purschel, "IGBT power losses calculation using the datasheet parameters," Infineon Technol., Neubiberg, Germany, Appl. Note, vol. 1, Jan. pp. 1-17, 2009.
- Infineon FD400R33KL2C, [Online]. Available: http://www.infineon.com.