- Volume 17 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Acoustic Noise of Brushless DC Motors Induced by Electromagnetic Torque Ripple
- Xia, Kun (Department of Electrical Engineering, University of Shanghai for Science and Technology) ;
- Li, Zhengrong (Department of Electrical Engineering, University of Shanghai for Science and Technology) ;
- Lu, Jing (Department of Electrical Engineering, University of Shanghai for Science and Technology) ;
- Dong, Bin (Department of Electrical Engineering, University of Shanghai for Science and Technology) ;
- Bi, Chao (Department of Electrical Engineering, University of Shanghai for Science and Technology)
- Received : 2016.12.14
- Accepted : 2017.03.27
- Published : 2017.07.20
Torque ripple is one of the major sources inducing vibration and noise in brushless DC motors. This is especially true in applications such as the spindle motors used in hard disk drives. However, the relationship between torque ripple and acoustic noise/vibration is quite complicated. This paper presents a way to investigate this relationship with acoustic noise measurement and analysis. Results obtained with three different drive modes are used in the analysis. The results show that the acoustic noise analysis is very helpful in designing a high-performance drive strategy for BLDC motors.
Supported by : National Natural Science Foundation of China
- S. A. Saied and K. Abbaszadeh, "Cogging torque reduction in brushless DC motors using slot-opening shift," Advances in Electrical & Computer Engineering, Vol. 9, No. 1, pp. 28-33, Feb. 2009. https://doi.org/10.4316/aece.2009.01005
- D. M. Ionel, M. Popescu, M. I. McGilp, T. J. E. Miller, and S. J. Dellinger, "Assessment of torque components in brushless permanent-magnet machines through numerical analysis of the electromagnetic field," IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., Vol. 41, No. 5, pp. 1149-1158, Sep./Oct. 2005. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2005.853377
- J. Y. Song, K. J. Kang, and C. H. Kang, and G. H. Jang, "Cogging torque and unbalanced magnetic pull due to simultaneous existence of dynamic and static eccentricities and uneven magnetization in permanent magnet motors," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 53, No. 3, Mar. 2017.
- J. Le Besnerais, Q. Souron, and E. Devillers, "Analysis of the electromagnetic acoustic noise and vibrations of a high-speed brushless DC motor," in Eighth IET International Conference on Power Electronics, Machine and Drives (PEMD), pp.1-10, Apr. 2016.
- S. Lin, C. Bi, and Q. Jiang, "Analysis of acoustic noise sources of BLDC and ADB spindle motors operating at BLDC mode," in Fourth IET International Conference on Power Electronics, Machine and Drives (PEMD), pp. 315-319, Apr. 2008.
- A. Saxena and B. G. Fernandes, "Noise and cogging torque reduction in brushless DC ceiling fan," in 18th International Conference on Electrical Machines and Systems (ICEMS), pp. 1334-1338, Oct. 2015.
- D. Torregrossa, A. Khoobroo, and B. Fahimi, "Prediction of acoustic noise and torque pulsation in PM synchronous machines with static eccentricity and partial demagnetization using field reconstruction method," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 59, No. 2, pp. 934-944, May 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2011.2151810
- R. Sathya, A. Sivaprakasam, and T. Manigandan, "Analysis and experimental investigation to mitigate mechanical vibration and acoustic noise in direct torque controller fed PMSM," International Journal of Research in Engineering and Technology, Vol. 3, No. 7, pp. 80-88, May 2014.
- J. H. Leong and Z. Q. Zhu, "Acoustic noise and vibration of direct-torque-controlled permanent magnet brushless DC drives," in 6th IET International Conference on Power Electronics, Machines and Drives (PEMD), pp. 1-6, Mar. 2012.
- S. Sung, G. Jang, K. Kang, and J. Song, "Effect of additional harmonics of driving current on torque ripple and unbalanced magnetic force in HDD spindle motors with stator and rotor eccentricity," Microsystem Technologies, Vol. 21, No. 12, pp. 2669-2678, Dec. 2015. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00542-015-2522-7
- S. Lin, C. Bi, and Q. Jiang, "Analysis of acoustic noise sources of FDB and ADB spindle motors operating at BLDC mode," in 4th IET conference on Power Electronics, Machines and Drives (PEMD), pp. 315-319, Apr. 2008.
- S. K. Chang and J.-S. Seol, "New cogging-torque reduction method for brushless permanent-magnet motors," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 39, No. 6, pp. 3503-3506, Nov. 2003. https://doi.org/10.1109/TMAG.2003.819473
- Y.-K. Lin and Y.-S. Lai, "Pulsewidth modulation technique for BLDCM drives to reduce commutation torque ripple without calculation of commutation time," IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., Vol. 47, No. 4, pp. 1786-1793, Jul./Aug. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2011.2155612
- J. Shi and T.-C. Li, "New method to eliminate commutation torque ripple of brushless DC motor with minimum commutation time," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 60, No. 6, pp. 2139-2146, Jun. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2012.2191756
- J. Fang, H. Li, and B. Han, "Torque ripple reduction in BLDC torque motor with nonideal Back EMF," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 27, No. 11, pp. 4630-4637, Nov. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2011.2176143
- S. B. Ozturk and H. A. Toliyat, "Direct torque and indirect flux control of brushless DC Motor," IEEE/ASME Trans. Mechatronics, Vol. 16, No. 2, pp. 351-360, Apr. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TMECH.2010.2043742
- P Kampmann, and F Kirchner, "Integration of fiber-optic sensor arrays into a multi-modal tactile sensor processing system for robotic end-effectors," sensors, Vol. 14, No. 4, pp. 6854-6876, 2014. https://doi.org/10.3390/s140406854
- Z. Hao, G. Chen, and X. Zhang, "A differential electromagnetic induction torque sensor and its finite element analysis," Review of Scientific Instruments, Vol. 86, No. 5, pp. 333-346, May 2015.
- X. Ji, Y. Fan, H. Qi, J. Chen, T. Han, and P. Cai, "A wireless demodulation system for passive surface acoustic wave torque sensor," Review of Scientific Instruments, Vol. 85, No. 12, pp. 125001-125008, Dec. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1063/1.4902180
- K. Xia, J. Lu, C. Bi, Y. Tuan, and B. Dong, "Dynamic commutation torque-ripple reduction for brushless dc motor based on quasi-Z-source Net," IET Electric Power Applications, Vol. 10, No. 9, pp. 819-826, Nov. 2016. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-epa.2016.0219
- T. Sun, J.-M. Kim, G.-H. Lee, J.-P. Hong, and M.-R. Choi, "Effect of pole and slot combination on noise and vibration in permanent magnet synchronous motor," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 47, No. 5, pp. 1038-1041, May 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TMAG.2010.2093872
- R. Islam and I. Husain, "Analytical model for predicting noise and vibration in permanent-magnet synchronous motors," IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., Vol. 46, No. 6, pp. 2346-2354, Nov./Dec. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2010.2070473
- K. Xia, J. Lu, B. Dong, and C. Bi. "Analysis of acoustic noise from electromagnetic torque ripple for brushless DC motor," in Asia-Pacific Magnetic Recording Conference Digest (APMRC), pp.1-2, Jul. 2016.
- J. Le Besnerais, Q. Souron, and E. Devillers. "Analysis of the electromagnetic noise and vibrations of a high-speed brushless DC motor," in 8th IET International Conference on Power Electronics, Machines and Drives (PEMD), pp. 1-10, Apr. 2016.
- J. Li, Y. Xu, and J. Zou, "A study on the reduction of vibration and acoustic noise for brushless DC motor," in International Conference on Electrical Machines and Systems (ICEMS), pp. 561-563, Oct. 2008.
- Acoustic-Based Fault Diagnosis of Commutator Motor vol.7, pp.11, 2018, https://doi.org/10.3390/electronics7110299