- Volume 17 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Application of Multiple Parks Vector Approach for Detection of Multiple Faults in Induction Motors
- Vilhekar, Tushar G. (Department of Electrical Engineering, Visvesvaraya National Institute of Technology) ;
- Ballal, Makarand S. (Department of Electrical Engineering, Visvesvaraya National Institute of Technology) ;
- Suryawanshi, Hiralal M. (Department of Electrical Engineering, Visvesvaraya National Institute of Technology)
- Received : 2017.01.06
- Accepted : 2017.04.01
- Published : 2017.07.20
The Park's vector of stator current is a popular technique for the detection of induction motor faults. While the detection of the faulty condition using the Park's vector technique is easy, the classification of different types of faults is intricate. This problem is overcome by the Multiple Park's Vector (MPV) approach proposed in this paper. In this technique, the characteristic fault frequency component (CFFC) of stator winding faults, rotor winding faults, unbalanced voltage and bearing faults are extracted from three phase stator currents. Due to constructional asymmetry, under the healthy condition these characteristic fault frequency components are unbalanced. In order to balanced them, a correction factor is added to the characteristic fault frequency components of three phase stator currents. Therefore, the Park's vector pattern under the healthy condition is circular in shape. This pattern is considered as a reference pattern under the healthy condition. According to the fault condition, the amplitude and phase of characteristic faults frequency components changes. Thus, the pattern of the Park's vector changes. By monitoring the variation in multiple Park's vector patterns, the type of fault and its severity level is identified. In the proposed technique, the diagnosis of faults is immune to the effects of unbalanced voltage and multiple faults. This technique is verified on a 7.5 hp three phase wound rotor induction motor (WRIM). The experimental analysis is verified by simulation results.
- A. H. Bonnett and G. C. Soukup, "Cause and analysis of stator and rotor failures in three-phase squirrel-cage induction motors," IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., Vol. 28, No. 4, pp. 921-937, Jul./Aug. 1992. https://doi.org/10.1109/28.148460
- A. Siddique, G. S. Yadava, and B. Singh, "A review of stator fault monitoring techniques of induction motors," IEEE Trans. Energy Convers., Vol. 20, No. 1, pp. 106-114, Mar. 2005. https://doi.org/10.1109/TEC.2004.837304
- "Report of large motor reliability survey of industrial and commercial installations, part I and II," IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., Vol. IA-21, No. 4, pp. 853-872, Jul. 1985. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.1985.349532
- P. Zhang, Y. Du, T. G. Habetler, and B. Lu, "A survey of condition monitoring and protection methods for medium-voltage induction motors," IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., Vol. 47, No. 1, pp. 34-46, Jan./Feb. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2010.2090839
- H. Mahmoud, A. A. E. Abdallh, N. Bianchi, S. M. El-Hakim, A. Shaltout, and L. Dupr, "An inverse approach for interturn fault detection in asynchronous machines using magnetic pendulous oscillation technique," IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., Vol. 52, No. 1, pp. 226-233, Jan./Feb. 2016. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2015.2478882
- H. Henao, C. Demian, and G. A. Capolino, "A frequency-domain detection of stator winding faults in induction machines using an external flux sensor," IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., Vol. 39, No. 5, pp. 1272-1279, Sep./Oct. 2003. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2003.816531
- J. L. Kohler, J. Sottile, and F. C. Trutt, "Condition monitoring of stator windings in induction motors. I. experimental investigation of the effective negative-sequence impedance detector," IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., Vol. 38, No. 5, pp. 1447-1453, Sep./Oct. 2002. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2002.802935
- J. Yun, K. Lee, K. W. Lee, S. B. Lee, and J. Y. Yoo, "Detection and classification of stator turn faults and high-resistance electrical connections for induction machines," IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., Vol. 45, No. 2, pp. 666-675, Mar./Apr. 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2009.2013557
- T. G. Vilhekar, M. S. Ballal, and H. M. Suryawanshi, "Application of double park's vector approach for detection of inter-turn fault in induction motor," in International Conference on Condition Assessment Techniques in Electrical Systems (CATCON), pp. 173-178, Dec. 2015.
- A. J. M. Cardoso, S. M. A. Cruz, and D. S. B. Fonseca, "Inter-turn stator winding fault diagnosis in three-phase induction motors, by park's vector approach," IEEE Trans. Energy Convers., Vol. 14, No. 3, pp. 595-598, Sep. 1999. https://doi.org/10.1109/60.790920
- H. Nejjari and M. E. H. Benbouzid, "Monitoring and diagnosis of induction motors electrical faults using a current park's vector pattern learning approach," IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., Vol. 36, No. 3, pp. 730-735, May/Jun. 2000. https://doi.org/10.1109/28.845047
- M. S. Ballal, D. M. Ballal, H. M. Suryawanshi, and M. K. Mishra, "Wing technique: A novel approach for the detection of stator winding inter-turn short circuit and open circuit faults in three phase induction motors," Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 12, No. 1, pp. 208-214, Jan. 2012. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2012.12.1.208
- M. S. Ballal, H. M. Suryawanshi, and B. N. Choudhari, "Extended wing technique approach for the detection of winding interturn faults in three phase transformers," Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 15, No. 1, pp. 288-297, Jan. 2015. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2015.15.1.288
- F. Filippetti, G. Franceschini, and C. Tassoni, "Neural networks aided on-line diagnostics of induction motor rotor faults," IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., Vol. 31, No. 4, pp. 892-899, Jul. 1995. https://doi.org/10.1109/28.395301
- M. S. Ballal, H. M. Suryawanshi, and M. K. Mishra, "Detection of incipient faults in induction motors using FIS, ANN and ANFIS techniques," Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 8, No. 2, pp. 181-191, Mar. 2008.
- J. B. Valencia, M. P. Sanchez, J. M. Roman, R. P. Panadero, and A. S. Bano, "Study of performance of several techniques of fault diagnosis for induction motors in steady-state with svm learning algorithms," in 2nd International Conference on Artificial Intelligence, Modelling and Simulation (AIMS), pp. 3-8, Nov. 2014.
- R. R. Schoen and T. G. Habetler, "Effects of time-varying loads on rotor fault detection in induction machines," IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., Vol. 31, No. 4, pp. 900-906, Jul. 1995. https://doi.org/10.1109/28.395302
- J. Faiz, M. Keravand, M. Ghasemi-Bijan, S. M. A. Cruz, and M. Bandar-Abadi, "Impacts of rotor inter-turn short circuit fault upon performance of wound rotor induction machines," Electric Power Systems Research, Vol. 135, pp. 48-58, Jun. 2016. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.epsr.2016.03.007
- R. Roshanfekr and A. Jalilian, "Analysis of rotor and stator winding inter-turn faults in WRIM using simulated mec model and experimental results," Electric Power Systems Research, Vol. 119, pp. 418-424, Feb. 2015. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.epsr.2014.10.018
- A. Sapena-Bano, J. Burriel-Valencia, M. Pineda-Sanchez, R. Puche-Panadero, and M. Riera-Guasp, "The harmonic order tracking analysis method for the fault diagnosis in induction motors under time-varying conditions," IEEE Trans. Energy Convers., Vol. 32, No. 1, pp. 244-256, Mar. 2017. https://doi.org/10.1109/TEC.2016.2626008
- H. Henao, C. Martis, and G. A. Capolino, "An equivalent internal circuit of the induction machine for advanced spectral analysis," IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., Vol. 40, No. 3, pp. 726-734, May/Jun. 2004. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2004.827480
- H. Henao, H. Razik, and G. A. Capolino, "Analytical approach of the stator current frequency harmonics computation for detection of induction machine rotor faults," IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., Vol. 41, No. 3, pp. 801-807, May/Jun. 2005. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2005.847320
- A. Yazidi, H. Henao, G. A. Capolino, and F. Betin, "Rotor inter-turn short circuit fault detection in wound rotor induction machines," in XIX International Conference on Electrical Machines (ICEM), pp. 1-6, Sep. 2010.
- S. M. A. Cruz and A. J. M. Cardoso, "Rotor cage fault diagnosis in three phase induction motors by extended park's vector approach," Electric Machines & Power Systems, Vol. 28, No. 4, pp. 289-299, Nov. 2000. https://doi.org/10.1080/073135600268261
- J. Burriel-Valencia, A. Sapena-Bao, M. Pineda-Sanchez, and J. Martinez-Roman, "Multilayer park's vector approach, a method for fault detection on induction motors," in IEEE International Conference on Industrial Technology (ICIT), pp. 775-780, Mar. 2015.
- S. M. A. Cruz, "Diagnosis of the multiple induction motor faults using extended Park's vector approach," International Journal of Condition Monitoring and Diagnostic Engineering Management, Vol. 4, pp. 19-25, 2001.
- J. Burriel-Valencia, R. Puche-Panadero, J. Martinez-Roman, A. Sapena-Bano, and M. Pineda-Sanchez, "Short-frequency fourier transform for fault diagnosis of induction machines working in transient regime," IEEE Trans. Instrum. Meas., Vol. 66, No. 3, pp. 432-440, Mar. 2017. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIM.2016.2647458
- W. Zhou, B. Lu, T. G. Habetler, and R. G. Harley, "Incipient bearing fault detection via motor stator current noise cancellation using wiener filter," IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., Vol. 45, No. 4, pp. 1309-1317, Jul./Aug. 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2009.2023566
- R. R. Schoen, T. G. Habetler, F. Kamran, and R. G. Bartfield, "Motor bearing damage detection using stator current monitoring," IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., Vol. 31, No. 6, pp. 1274-1279, Nov./Dec. 1995. https://doi.org/10.1109/28.475697
- B. Yazici and G. B. Kliman, "An adaptive statistical time-frequency method for detection of broken bars and bearing faults in motors using stator current," IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., Vol. 35, No. 2, pp. 442-452, Mar./Apr. 1999. https://doi.org/10.1109/28.753640
- J. M. Erdman, R. J. Kerkman, D. W. Schlegel, and G. L. Skibinski, "Effect of PWM inverters on ac motor bearing currents and shaft voltages," IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., Vol. 32, No. 2, pp. 250-259, Mar./Apr. 1996. https://doi.org/10.1109/28.491472
- J. R. Stack, T. G. Habetler, and R. G. Harley, "Fault classification and fault signature production for rolling element bearings in electric machines," IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., Vol. 40, No. 3, pp. 735-739, May/Jun. 2004. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2004.827454
- T. G. Habetler, J. R. Stack, and R. G. Harley, "Bearing fault detection via autoregressive stator current modeling," IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., Vol. 40, No. 3, pp. 740-747, May/Jun. 2004. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2004.827797
- F. Dalvand, A. Kalantar, and M. S. Safizadeh, "A novel bearing condition monitoring method in induction motors based on instantaneous frequency of motor voltage," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 63, No. 1, pp. 364-376, Jan. 2016. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2015.2464294
- R. M. Tallam, T. G. Habetler, and R. G. Harley, "Transient model for induction machines with stator winding turn faults," IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., Vol. 38, No. 3, pp. 632-637, May/Jun. 2002. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2002.1003411
- P. Krause, Analysis of electric machinery, McGraw-Hill series in electrical and computer engineering, McGraw-Hill, 1986.
- Y. Gritli, L. Zarri, C. Rossi, F. Filippetti, G. A. Capolino, and D. Casadei, "Advanced diagnosis of electrical faults in wound-rotor induction machines," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 60, No. 9, pp. 4012-4024, Sep. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2012.2236992
- M. Ballal, Z. J. Khan, H. M. Suryawanshi, and R. L. Sonolikar, "Adaptive neural fuzzy inference system for the detection of inter-turn insulation and bearing wear faults in induction motor," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 54, No. 1, pp. 250-258, Feb. 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2006.888789