- Volume 17 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Performance Analysis of a Stand-alone Brushless Doubly-fed Induction Generator Using a New T-type Steady-state Model
- Liu, Yi (School of Mechanical and Electrical Engineering, Huanggang Normal University) ;
- Xu, Wei (State Key Laboratory of Advanced Electromagnetic Engineering and Technology, School of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Huazhong University of Science and Technology) ;
- Zhi, Gang (China Changjiang National Shipping Group Motor Factory) ;
- Zhang, Junlin (School of Mechanical and Electrical Engineering, Huanggang Normal University)
- Received : 2016.09.25
- Accepted : 2017.03.30
- Published : 2017.07.20
The brushless doubly-fed induction generator (BDFIG) is a new type of dual stator winding induction generator. In such a generator, both the power winding (PW) and the control winding (CW) are housed in the stator. This paper presents the performance characteristics of a stand-alone BDFIG operation system. A new T-type steady-state model of a BDFIG is proposed. This model is more suitable for the performance analysis of stand-alone BDFIGs than the conventional Π-type steady-state model and the simplified inner core steady-state model. The characteristics of the power flow and CW current are analyzed by detailed mathematical derivations on the basis of the proposed T-type steady-state model. The analysis results are verified by experiments, which are carried out on a prototype BDFIG. The results of the performance analysis contribute to simplifying the control circuit, improving the control performance, and selecting an appropriate BDFIG for actual industrial applications.
- S. Shao, E. Abdi, F. Barati, and R. A. McMahon, "Stator-flux-oriented vector control for brushless doubly-fed induction generator," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 56, No. 10, pp. 4220-4228, Oct. 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2009.2024660
- T. Logan, J. Warrington, S. Shao, and R. McMahon, "Practical deployment of the Brushless Doubly-Fed Machine in a medium scale wind turbine", in Proc. Int. Conf. Power Electronics and Drive Systems (PEDS), pp. 470-475, 2009.
- S. Shao, A. Ehsan, and R. McMahon, "Vector control of the brushless doubly-fed machine for wind power generation," in Proc. Int. Conf. Sustainable Energy Technol., pp. 322-327, 2008.
- S. Ademi and M. G. Jovanovic, "High-efficiency control of brushless doubly-fed machines for wind turbines and pump drives," Energy Convers. Manage., Vol. 85, No. 5, pp. 120-132, May 2014. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enconman.2014.05.064
- K. Vijayakumar, N. Kumaresan, and N. Ammasai Gounden, "Operation and closed-loop control of wind-driven stand-alone doubly fed induction generators using a single inverter-battery system," IET Electr. Power Appl., Vol. 6, No. 3, pp. 162-171, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-epa.2011.0204
- K. Vijayakumar, N. Kumaresan, and N. Ammasai Gounden, "Operation of inverter-assisted wind-driven slip-ring induction generator for stand-alone power supplies," IET Electr. Power Appl., Vol. 7, No. 4, pp. 256-269, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-epa.2012.0139
- V.-T. Phan and H.-H. Lee, "Enhanced Proportionalresonant current controller for unbalanced stand-alone DFIG-based wind turbines," Journal of Electrical Engineering & Technology, Vol. 5, No. 3, pp. 443-450, 2010. https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2010.5.3.443
- Y.-D. Son, W.-S. Im, H.-S. Park, and J.-M. Kim, "Analysis and compensation of current measurement errors in a doubly fed induction generator," Journal of Electrical Engineering & Technology, Vol. 9, No. 2, pp. 532-540, Mar. 2014. https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2014.9.2.532
- D. Zhou, R. Spee, and A. K. Wallace, "Laboratory control implementations for doubly-fed machines," in Proc. IEEE IECON, Vol. 1, pp. 1181-1186, 1993.
- I. Sarasola, E. Oyarbide, D. Roye, and M. Rodriguez, "Stability analysis of a brushless doubly-fed machine under closed loop scalar current control," in Proc. IEEE Ind. Electron. Society Conf., pp. 1527-1532, 2006.
- S. Shao, E. Abdi, and R. McMahon, "Low-cost variable speed drive based on a brushless doubly-fedmotor and a fractional unidirectional converter," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 59, No. 1, pp. 317-325, Jan. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2011.2138672
- R. Li, R. Spee, A. K. Wallace, and G. C. Alexander, "Synchronous drive performance of brushless doubly-fed motors," IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., Vol. 30, No. 4, pp. 963-970, Jul./Aug. 1994. https://doi.org/10.1109/28.297913
- A. Zhang, X. Wang, W. Jia, and Y. Ma, "Indirect stator-quantities control for the brushless doubly fed induction machine," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 29, No. 3, pp. 1392-1401, Mar. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2013.2260870
- I. Sarasola, J. Poza, M. A. Rodriguez, and G. Abad, "Direct torque control design and experimental evaluation for the brushless doubly fed machine," Energy Convers. Manage., Vol. 52, No. 2, pp. 1226-1234, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enconman.2010.09.018
- P. C. Roberts, R. A. McMahon, P. J. Tavner, J. M. Maciejowski, T. J. Flack, and X.Wang, "Performance of rotors for the brushless doubly fed (induction) machine (BDFM)," in Proc. Int. Conf. Electr. Machines, pp. 450-455, 2004.
- R. E. Betz and M. G. Jovanovic, "Theoretical analysis of control properties for the brushless doubly fed reluctance machine," IEEE Trans. Energy Convers., Vol. 17, No. 3, pp. 332-339, Sept. 2002. https://doi.org/10.1109/TEC.2002.801997
- F. Xiong and X. Wang, "Design of a low-harmonic-content wound rotor for the brushless doubly fed generator," IEEE Trans. Energy Convers., Vol. 29, No. 1, pp. 158-168, Mar. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TEC.2013.2287908
- R. A. McMahon, P. C. Roberts, X. Wang, and P. J. Tavner, "Performance of BDFM as generator and motor," IEE Proc. Electr. Power. Appl., Vol. 153, No. 2, pp. 289-299, Mar. 2006. https://doi.org/10.1049/ip-epa:20050289
- F. Xiong and X. Wang, "Design and performance analysis of a brushless doubly-fed machine for stand-alone ship shaft generator systems," in Proc. IEEE Electr. Control Eng. Conf., pp. 2114-211, Sep. 2011.
- F. Xiong, "Research on modeling analysis and electromagnetic design of wound-rotor brushless doubly-fed machine," Ph.D. dissertation, Dept. Electr. Eng., Huazhong Univ. Sci. Tech., Wuhan, China, 2010.
- P. C. Roberts, R. A. McMahon, P. J. Tavner, J. M. Maciejowski, T. J. Flack, "Equivalent circuit for the brushless doubly fed machine (BDFM) including parameter estimation and experimental verification," IEE Proc. Electr. Power. Appl., Vol. 152, No. 4, pp. 933-942, Jul. 2005. https://doi.org/10.1049/ip-epa:20045106
- Y. Liu, W. Ai, B. Chen, and K. Chen, "Control design of the brushless doubly-fed machines for stand-alone VSCF ship shaft generator systems," Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 16, No. 1, pp. 259-267, Jan. 2016. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2016.16.1.259
- Y. Liu, W. Ai, B. Chen, K. Chen, "Control design and experimental verification of the brushless doubly-fed machine for stand-alone power generation applications," IET Electric Power Appl., Vol. 10, No. 1, pp. 25-35, Jan. 2016. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-epa.2015.0107
- A. B. Carlson, Circuits: Engineering Concepts and Analysis of Linear Electric Circuits, John Wiley & Sons, 1996.