- Volume 17 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
PWM-based Integral Sliding-mode Controller for Unity Input Power Factor Operation of Indirect Matrix Converter
- Rmili, Lazhar (Laboratory of Biophysics and Medical Technology, ISTMT, Tunis El-Manar University) ;
- Hamouda, Mahmoud (Laboratory of Advanced Technology and Intelligent Systems, ENISo, Sousse University) ;
- Rahmani, Salem (Laboratory of Biophysics and Medical Technology, ISTMT, Tunis El-Manar University) ;
- Blanchette, Handy Fortin (Canada Research Chair in Energy Conversion and Power Electronics, ETS of Montreal) ;
- Al-Haddad, Kamal (Canada Research Chair in Energy Conversion and Power Electronics, ETS of Montreal)
- Received : 2016.03.14
- Accepted : 2017.02.17
- Published : 2017.07.20
An indirect matrix converter (IMC) is a modern power generation system that enables a direct ac/ac conversion without the need for any bulky and limited lifetime electrolytic capacitor. This system also allows four-quadrant operation, generation of sinusoidal output voltage waveforms with variable frequency and amplitude, and control of input power factor. This study proposes a pulse-width modulation-based sliding-mode controller to achieve unity input-power factor operation of the IMC independently of the active power exchanged with the grid, as well as a fast dynamic response. The designed equivalent control law determines, at each sampling period, the appropriate q-axis component of the modulated input current to be injected into the grid through the LC input filter. An integral term of the error is included in the expression of the sliding surface to increase the accuracy of the control method. A double space vector modulation method is used to synthesize the direction of the space vector of the input currents as required by the sliding-mode controller and the space vectors of the target output voltages. Simulation and experimental results are provided to show the effectiveness and evaluate the performance of the proposed control method.
- M. Hamouda, H. F. Blanchette, and K. Al-Haddad, "Unity power factor operation of indirect matrix converter tied to unbalanced grid," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 31, No. 2, pp. 1095-1107, Feb. 2016. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2015.2421480
- L. Wei, and T. A. Lipo, "A novel matrix converter topology with simple commutation," in Proc. IAS, pp. 1749-1754, 2001.
- L. Huber, and D. Borojevic, "Space vector modulated three-phase to three-phase matrix converter with input power factor correction," IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., Vol. 31, No. 6, pp. 1234-1246, Nov/Dec. 1995. https://doi.org/10.1109/28.475693
- M. Hamouda, H. F. Blanchette, K. Al-Haddad, and F. Fnaiech, "An efficient DSP-FPGA-based real-time implementation method of SVM algorithms for an indirect matrix converter," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 58, No. 11, pp. 5024-5031, Nov. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2011.2159952
- Q. Guan, P. Yang, Q. Guan, X. Wang, and Q. Wu, "A singular value decomposition based space vector modulation to reduce the output common-mode voltage of direct matrix converters," Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 16, No. 3, pp. 936-945, May 2016. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2016.16.3.936
- Y. D. Yoon and S. K. Sul, "Carrier-based modulation technique for matrix converter," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 21, No. 6, pp. 1691-1703, Nov. 2006. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2006.882935
- P. C. Loh, R. Rong, F. Blaabjerg, and P. Wang, "Digital carrier modulation and sampling issues of matrix converters," IEEE. Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 24, No. 7, pp. 1690-1700, Jul. 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2009.2016423
- Q-H Tran and H-H Lee, "An effective carrier-based modulation strategy to reduce the switching losses for indirect matrix converters," Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 15, No. 3, pp. 702-711, May 2015. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2015.15.3.702
- M. Hamouda, H. F. Blanchette, and K. Al-Haddad, "A hybrid modulation scheme for dual-output five-leg indirect matrix converter," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 63, No. 12, pp. 7299-7309, Dec. 2016. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2016.2594038
- M. Hamouda, F. Fnaiech, and K. AL-Haddad, "Input filter design for SVM dual-bridge matrix converters," in Proc. ISIE, pp. 797-802, 2006.
- A. K. Sahoo, K. Basu, and N. Mohan, "systematic input filter design of matrix converter by analytical estimation of RMS current ripple," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 62, No. 1, pp. 132-143, Jan. 2015. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2014.2331032
- M. Milanovic and B. Dobaj, "Unity input displacement factor correction principle for direct AC to AC matrix converters based on modulation strategy," IEEE Trans. Circuits Syst., Vol. 47, No. 2, pp. 221-230, Feb. 2000. https://doi.org/10.1109/81.828575
- H. M. Nguyen, H.H. Lee, and T.W Chun, "Input power factor compensation algorithms using a new direct-SVM method for matrix converter," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 58, No. 1, pp. 232-243, Jan. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2010.2044736
- K. You, D. Xiao, M. F. Rahman, and M. N. Uddin, "Applying reduced general direct space vector modulation approach of AC-AC matrix converter theory to achieve direct power factor controlled three-phase AC-DC matrix rectifier," IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., Vol. 50, No. 3, pp. 2243-2257, May/Jun. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2013.2285956
- M. Rivera, J. Rodriguez, B. Wu, J. R. Espinoza, and C. A. Rojas, "Current control for an indirect matrix converter with filter resonance mitigation," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 59, No. 1, pp. 71-79, Jan. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2011.2165311
- M. Hamouda, F. Fnaiech, and K. Al. Haddad, "Control of the reactive line current provided by a Dual-Bridge Matrix Converter using the input-output feedback linearization approach," in Proc. ISIE, pp. 803-808, 2006.
- S. Pinto and J. Silva, "Sliding mode direct control of matrix converters," IET Electr. Power Appl., Vol. 1, No. 3, pp. 439-448, May 2007. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-epa:20060257
- M. Cucuzzella, G. P. Incremona, and A. Ferrara, "Design of robust higher order sliding mode control for microgrids," IEEE J. Emerg. Sel. Topics Circuits Syst., Vol. 5, No. 15, pp. 393-401, Sep. 2015. https://doi.org/10.1109/JETCAS.2015.2450411
- F. Dinuzzo and A. Ferrara, "Higher order sliding mode controllers with optimal reaching ," IEEE Trans. Autom. Control, Vol. 54, No. 9, pp. 2126-2136, Sep. 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/TAC.2009.2026940
- S. Oucheriah and L. Guo, "PWM-based adaptive sliding-mode control for boost DC-DC converters," IEEE Trans. Ind.electron., Vol. 60, No. 8, pp. 3291-3294, Aug. 2013.
- S. C. Tan, Y.M. Lai, C. K. Tse, and M. K. H. Cheung, "A fixed-frequency pulse-width-modulation based quasi-sliding mode controller for buck converters," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 20, No. 6, pp. 600-61, Nov. 2005. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2005.846549
- M. Hamouda, H. F. Blanchette, and K. Al-Haddad, "Indirect matrix converters' enhanced commutation method," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 62, No. 2, pp. 671-679, Feb. 2015. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2014.2341583
- J. Liu, F. Xiao, W. Ma, X. Fan, and Wei Chen, "PWM-based sliding mode controller for three-level full-bridge DC-DC converter that eliminates static output voltage error," Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 15, No. 2, pp. 378-388, Mar. 2015. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2015.15.2.378
- W. Gao, Y. Wang, and A. Homaifa, "Discrete-time variable structure control systems," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 42, No. 2, pp. 117-122, Apr. 1995. https://doi.org/10.1109/41.370376
- S-C Tan, Y. M. Lai, and C. K. Tse, "Indirect sliding mode control of power converters via double integral sliding surface," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 23, No. 2, pp. 1379-1392, Mar. 2008.
- S.C. Tan, Y. M. Lai, and C. K. TSE, "A unified approach to the design of PWM based sliding mode voltage controller for basic DC-DC converters in continuous conduction mode," IEEE Trans. Circuits Syst. I: Fundam. Theory Appl., Vol. 53, No. 8, pp. 1816-1827, Aug. 2006. https://doi.org/10.1109/TCSI.2006.879052