- Volume 17 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Applicable Method for Average Switching Loss Calculation in Power Electronic Converters
- Hasari, Seyyed Abbas Saremi (Faculty of Electrical Engineering, Shahid Beheshti University) ;
- Salemnia, Ahmad (Faculty of Electrical Engineering, Shahid Beheshti University) ;
- Hamzeh, Mohsen (Faculty of Electrical Engineering, Shahid Beheshti University)
- Received : 2016.10.03
- Accepted : 2017.05.08
- Published : 2017.07.20
Accurate calculation of the conduction and switching losses of a power electronic converter is required to achieve the efficiency of the converter. Such calculation is also useful for computing the junction temperature of the switches. A few models have been developed in the articles for calculating the switching energy losses during switching transitions for the given values of switched voltage and switched current. In this study, these models are comprehensively reviewed and investigated for the first time for ease of comparison among them. These models are used for calculating the average amount of switching power losses. However, some points and details should be considered in utilizing these models when switched current or switched voltage presents time-variant and alternative quantity. Therefore, an applicable technique is proposed in details to use these models under the above-mentioned conditions. A proper switching loss model and the presented technique are used to establish a new and fast method for obtaining the average switching power losses in any type of power electronic converters. The accuracy of the proposed method is evaluated by comprehensive simulation studies and experimental results.
- K. Lee, Y. Suh, and Y. Kang, "Loss analysis and comparison of high power semiconductor devices in 5MW PMSG MV wind turbine systems," Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 15, No. 6, pp. 1380-1391, Sep. 2015. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2015.15.5.1380
- D. A. Bell, Solid State Pulse Circuits, 4th ed. USA: Oxford University Press, 2007.
- H. A. Mantooth and A. R. Hefner, "Electrothermal simulation of an IGBT PWM inverter," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 12, No. 3, pp. 474-484, May 1997. https://doi.org/10.1109/63.575675
- B. J. Masserant and T. A. Stuart, "Experimental verification of calculated IGBT losses in PFCs," IEEE Trans. Aerosp. Electron. Syst., Vol. 32, No. 3, pp. 1154-1158, Jul. 1996. https://doi.org/10.1109/7.532276
- F. Martin, Semikron innovation+service, 1st ed.: Semikron International, 2000.
- Fuji-Electric, Fuji IGBT Simulator, Version 6, http://www.fujielectric.com/products/semiconductor/model/igbt/simulation/index.html, 2016.
- F. Schafmeister, S. Herold, and J. W. Kolar, "Evaluation of 1200V-Si-IGBTs and 1300V-SiC-JFETs for application in three-phase very sparse matrix AC-AC converter systems," in Applied Power Electronics Conference and Exposition (APEC), pp. 241-255, 2003.
- F. Schafmeister, C. Rytz, and J. W. Kolar, "Analytical calculation of the conduction and switching losses of the conventional matrix converter and the (very) sparse matrix converter," in Applied Power Electronics Conference and Exposition (APEC), pp. 875-881, 2005.
- Z. Zhang, Z. Xu, and Y. Xue, "Valve losses evaluation based on piecewise analytical method for MMC-HVDC links," IEEE Trans. Power Del., Vol. 29, No. 3, pp. 1354-1362, Jun. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRD.2014.2304724
- H. Wang, G. Tang, Z. He, and J. Cao, "Power loss and junction temperature analysis in the modular multilevel converters for hvdc transmission systems," Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 15, No. 3, pp. 685-694, May 2015. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2015.15.3.685
- S. Dieckerhoff, S. Bernet, and D. Krug, "Power loss-oriented evaluation of high voltage igbts and multilevel converters in transformerless traction applications," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 20, No. 6, pp. 1328-1336, Nov. 2005. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2005.857534
- A. Lopez, D. Patino, and R. Diez, "Efficiency analysis of a ladder multilevel converter with the use of the equivalent continuous model," Vol. 14, No. 6, pp. 1130-1138, Nov. 2014. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2014.14.6.1130
- R. W. Erickson and D. Maksimovic, Fundamentals of power electronics, 2nd ed. New York, Boston, Dordrecht, London, Moscow: Kluwer Academic Publishers, 2004.
- Q. Tu and Z. Xu, "Power losses evaluation for modular multilevel converter with junction temperature feedback," in Proceedings of IEEE Power and Energy Society General Meeting, pp. 1-7, 2011.
- F. Blaabjerg, U. Jaeger, S. Munk-Nielsen, and J. K. Pedersen, "Power losses in PWM-VSI inverter using NPT or PT IGBT devices," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 10, No. 3, pp. 358-367, May 1995. https://doi.org/10.1109/63.388002
- T. Matsuoa, S. Berneta, R. S. Colbyb, and T. A. Lipoa, "Modeling and simulation of matrix converter/induction motor drive," ELSEVIER Mathematics and Computers in Simulation, Vol. 46, No. 3, pp. 175-195, May 1998. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0378-4754(97)00134-1
- T. Xin, K. M. Tsang, and W. L. Chan, "A power quality compensator with DG interface capability using repetitive control," IEEE Trans. Energy Convers., Vol. 27, No. 2, pp. 213-219, Jun. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TEC.2012.2183874
- Y. Suh, J. K. Steinke, and P. K. Steimer, "Efficiency comparison of voltage-source and current-source drive systems for medium-voltage applications," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 54, No. 5, pp. 2521-2531, Oct. 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2007.900352
- D. Krug, S. Bernet, S. S. Fazel, K. Jalili, and M. Malinowski, "Comparison of 2.3-kV medium-voltage multilevel converters for industrial medium-voltage drives," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 54, No. 6, pp. 2979-2992, Dec. 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2007.906997
- M. H. Rashid, Power Electronics: Circuits, Devices & Applications, 4th ed.: Prentice Hall, 2013.
- L. Xiaonan, J. M. Guerrero, S. Kai, J. C. Vasquez, R. Teodorescu, and H. Lipei, "Hierarchical control of parallel AC-DC converter interfaces for hybrid microgrids," IEEE Trans. Smart Grid, Vol. 5, No. 2, pp. 683-692, Mar. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TSG.2013.2272327
- S. Bernet, S. Ponnaluri, and R. Teichmann, "Design and loss comparison of matrix converters and voltage-source converters for modern AC drives," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 49, No. 2, pp. 304-314, Apr. 2002. https://doi.org/10.1109/41.993263
- D. Barater, E. Lorenzani, C. Concari, G. Franceschini, and G. Buticchi, "Recent advances in single-phase transformerless photovoltaic inverters," IET Renewable Power Generation, Vol. 10, No. 2, pp. 260-273, Feb. 2016. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-rpg.2015.0101
- M. Liang, T. Q. Zheng, and Y. Li, "An improved analytical model for predicting the switching performance of SiC MOSFETs," Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 16, No. 1, pp. 374-387, Jan. 2016. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2016.16.1.374
- T. Bruckner and s. Bernet, "Estimation and measurement of junction temperatures in a three-level voltage source converter," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 22, No. 1, pp. 3-12, Jan. 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2006.886651
- K. You and M. F. Rahman, "Analytical model of conduction and switching losses of matrix-z-source converter," Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 9, No. 2, pp. 275-287, Mar. 2009.
- SEMIKRON, Semisel - Simulation Software, Version 4.1.2, https://www.semikron.com/service-support/semisel-simulation.html, 2016.