- Volume 17 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Utilization of Active Diodes in Self-powered Sensorless Three-phase Boost-rectifiers for Energy Harvesting Applications
- Tapia-Hernandez, Alejandro (Instrumentation and Driver HMI, Continental Automotive) ;
- Ponce-Silva, Mario (Centro Nacional de Investigacion y Desarrollo Tecnologico) ;
- Olivares-Peregrino, Victor Hugo (Centro Nacional de Investigacion y Desarrollo Tecnologico) ;
- Valdez-Resendiz, Jesus Elias (Tecnologico de Monterrey) ;
- Hernandez-Gonzalez, Leobardo (Instituto Politecnico Nacional ESIME Culhuacan)
- Received : 2016.10.24
- Accepted : 2017.05.02
- Published : 2017.07.20
The main contribution of this paper is the use of sensorless active diodes to generate the gate signals for a three-phase boost-rectifier with a self-powered control scheme. The sensorless operation is achieved making use of the gate control signals generated by the active diode schemes on each of the switching devices using a pulse width half-controlled boost rectifier modulation technique (PWM-HCBR). The proposed scheme synchronizes the gate control signals with a three phase voltage supply. Autonomous operation is obtained making use of the output DC bus to feed the control circuitry, the active diodes and the driver circuitry. The three-phase boost-rectifier is supplied by a three-phase permanent magnet electric generator powered by a solar concentrator dish with variable voltage and variable frequency conditions. Experimental results report an efficiency of up to 94.6% for 25 W and an input of 3.6 V peak per phase with 450.
- E. Lefeuvre, D. Audigier, C. Richard, and D. Guyomar, "Buck-boost converter for sensorless power optimization of piezoelectric energy harvester," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 22, No. 5, pp. 2018-2025, Sep. 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2007.904230
- S. E. S., K. Chatterjee, and S. Bandyopadhyay, "One-cycle-controlled single-stage single-phase voltage-sensorless grid-connected PV system," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 60, No. 3, pp. 1216-1224, Mar. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2012.2191755
- D. Krahenbuhl, C. Zwyssig, and J. W. Kolar, "Half-controlled boost rectifier for low-power high-speed permanent-magnet generators," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 58, No. 11, pp. 5066-5075, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2011.2126531
- D. Krahenbuhl, C. Zwyssig, K. Bitterli, M. Imhof, and J. W. Kolar, "Evaluation of ultra-compact rectifiers for low power, high-speed, permanent-magnet generators," in Annual Conference of IEEE Industrial Electronics, 2009, No. Cm, pp. 448-455.
- H. J. Kim, G. B. Chung, and J. Choi, "Resonant pulse power converter with a self-switching technique," J. Power Electron., Vol. 10, No. 6, pp. 784-791, 2010. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2010.10.6.784
- G. Chung and K. D. T. Ngo, "Analysis of an AC/DC resonant pulse power converter for energy harvesting using a micro piezoelectric device," J. Power Electron., Vol. 5, No. 4, pp. 247-256, 2005.
- S. Cheng, Y. Jin, Y. Rao, and D. P. Arnold, "An active voltage doubling ac/dc converter for low-voltage energy harvesting applications," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 26, No. 8, pp. 2258-2265, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2010.2096234
- G. D. Szarka, N. McNeill, P. Proynov, and B. H. Stark, "Switched-capacitor power sensing in low-power energy harvesting systems," Electron. Lett., Vol. 49, No. 2, pp. 151-152, Jan. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1049/el.2012.3907
- G. D. Szarka, S. G. Burrow, and B. H. Stark, "UltraLow power, fully autonomous boost rectifier for electromagnetic energy harvesters," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 28, No. 7, pp. 3353-3362, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2012.2219594
- S. S. Hashemi, M. Sawan, and Y. Savaria, "A high-efficiency low-voltage CMOS rectifier for harvesting energy in implantable devices," IEEE Trans. Biomed. Circuits Syst., Vol. 6, No. 4, pp. 326-335, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TBCAS.2011.2177267
- D. Maurath, P. F. Becker, D. Spreemann, and Y. Manoli, "Efficient energy harvesting with electromagnetic energy transducers using active low-voltage rectification and maximum power point tracking," IEEE J. Solid-State Circuits, Vol. 47, No. 6, pp. 1369-1380, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/JSSC.2012.2188562
- M. Ben Said, M. W. Naouar, I. Bahri, E. Monmasson, M. Merai, M. Douma, and I. Slama-Belkhodja, "Full system on programmable chip solution for DPC control of three phase PWM boost rectifier," IECON Proc. (Industrial Electron. Conf., pp. 3067-3072, 2012.
- H. Wu, J. Zhang, X. Qin, T. Mu, and Y. Xing, "Secondary-side-regulated soft-switching full-bridge three-port converter based on bridgeless boost rectifier and bidirectional converter for multiple energy interface," Power Electronics, IEEE Transactions on, Vol. 31, No. 7. pp. 4847-4860, 2016.
- H. Wang, Y. Tang, and A. Khaligh, "A bridgeless boost rectifier for low-voltage energy harvesting applications," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 28, No. 11, pp. 5206-5214, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2013.2242903
- Y. Li, Z. Zhu, Y. Yang, and C. Zhang, "An input-powered high-efficiency interface circuit with zero standby power in energy harvesting systems," J. Power Electron., Vol. 15, No. 4, pp. 1131-1138, 2015. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2015.15.4.1131
- E. Dallago, A. Danioni, M. Marchesi, V. Nucita, and G. Venchi, "A self-powered electronic interface for electromagnetic energy harvester," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 26, No. 11, pp. 3174-3182, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2011.2146277
- D. Vasic, Y. Y. Chen, and F. Costa, "Design of self-powering part of SSHI interface for piezoelectric energy harvesting," Electron. Lett., Vol. 49, No. 4, pp. 288-290, Feb. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1049/el.2012.3898
- S. H. Song, S. Kang, K. Park, S. Shin, and H. Kim, "Applications of mems-mosfet hybrid switches to power management circuits for energy harvesting systems," J. Power Electron., Vol. 12, No. 6, pp. 954-959, 2012. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2012.12.6.954
- C. Gong, Y. Fan, Z. Wei, X. Chen, and J. Chen, "Modified one-cycle-controlled three-phase pulse-width modulation rectifiers under low-output DC voltage conditions," IET Power Electron., Vol. 7, No. 3, pp. 753-763, Mar. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-pel.2013.0214
- X. Xie, C. P. Liu, F. N. K. Poon, and M. H. Pong, "The active diode - Current-driven synchronous rectifier," in China Beijing International Power Technology Forum, 2002.
- D. P. Arnold, P. Galle, F. Herrault, S. Das, J. H. Lang, and M. G. Allen, "A self-contained, flow-powered microgenerator system," Tech. Dig. 5th Int. Workshop Micro Nanotechnology For Power Generation and Energy Conversion Apps. (PowerMEMS 2005), 2005.
- M. K. Senesky and S. R. Sanders, "A millimeter-scale electric generator," IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., Vol. 44, No. 4, pp. 1143-1149, Jul. 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2008.926291
- Y. Rao and D. P. Arnold, "Input-powered energy harvesting interface circuits with zero standby power," 2011 Twenty-Sixth Annu. IEEE Appl. Power Electron. Conf. Expo., pp. 1992-1999, 2011.
- C. H. Lu, Y. J. Wang, C. K. Sung, and P. C. P. Chao, "A hula-hoop energy-harvesting system," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 47, No. 10, pp. 2395-2398, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TMAG.2011.2155636
- F. Caricchi, F. Crescimbini, O. Honorati, G. Lo Bianco, and E. Santini, "Performance of coreless-winding axial-flux permanent-magnet generator with power output at 400 Hz, 3000 r/min," IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., Vol. 34, No. 6, pp. 1263-1269, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1109/28.739003
- S. E. Jo, M. S. Kim, and Y. J. Kim, "Electromagnetic human vibration energy harvester comprising planar coils," Electron. Lett., Vol. 48, No. 14, pp. 874-875, Jul. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1049/el.2012.0969
- P. P. Proynov, G. D. Szarka, B. H. Stark, and N. McNeill, "The effect of switching frequency, duty ratio, and dead times on a synchronous boost rectifier for low power electromagnetic energy harvesters," in 2012 Twenty-Seventh Annual IEEE Applied Power Electronics Conference and Exposition (APEC), pp. 667-674, 2012.
- P. J. Grbovie, P. Delarue, and P. Le Moigne, "A novel three-phase diode boost rectifier using hybrid half-DC-bus-voltage rated boost converter," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 58, No. 4, pp. 131-1329, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2010.2050757