- Volume 37 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Comparison of the Effects of Socioscientific Issues Instruction on Promoting College Students' Character and Values: Based on Idiocentrism and Allocentrism
과학관련 사회쟁점을 활용한 대학생 인성교육의 효과 -개인-집단중심성향에 따른 비교-
- Received : 2017.03.22
- Accepted : 2017.05.29
- Published : 2017.06.30
This study aims to investigate the effects of socioscientific issues (SSI) instruction on promoting college students' character and values as citizens, and to compare the effects based on the psychological factor - idiocentrism and allocentrism. Thirty-one college students who enrolled in the SSI course participated in this study. The SSI course provided the students with opportunities to explore various aspects of five topics, to express and share their own opinions, and to identify reasonable alternatives. The students with distinct tendencies were classified into two groups (i.e. idiocentric and allocentric groups) based on the personal value orientation scores before the instruction, and they responded to the questionnaire to examine their character and values as citizens before and after the instruction. The results showed that the students' social and moral compassion and socioscientific accountability improved significantly after the SSI course. The overall effects of the SSI program on students' character and values were not significantly different between two groups. However, the post-mean score of the allocentric group in socioscientific accountability was higher than the one of the idiocentric group. This study shows that SSI instruction could positively affect character development regardless of psychological tendencies, and could be implemented in the science classroom as a good instructional approach to integrating science education and character education.
Socioscientific issues;Idiocentrism;Allocentrism;Character education;Global citizenship
Supported by : 이화여자대학교
- Arnocky, S., Stroink, M., & DeCicco, T. (2007). Self-construal predicts environmental concern, cooperation, and conservation. Journal of Environmental Psychology, 27(4), 255-264. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jenvp.2007.06.005
- Bamberg, S., & Schmidt, P. (2003). Incentives, morality, or habit? Predicting students’ car use for university routes with the models of Ajzen, Schwartz, and Triandis. Environment and behavior, 35(2), 264-285. https://doi.org/10.1177/0013916502250134
- Barab, S. A., Sadler, T. D., Heiselt, C., Hickey, D. T., & Zuiker, S. (2007). Relating narrative, inquiry, and inscriptions: Supporting consequential play. Journal of Science Education and Technology, 16(1), 59-82. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10956-006-9033-3
- Bencze, J. L,, Carter, L., Chiu, M.-H., Duit, R., Martin, S., Siry, C., Krajcik, J., Shin, N., Choi, K., Lee, H., & Kim, S.-W. (2013). Globalization and science education. COSMOS, 8(2), 139-152. https://doi.org/10.1142/S021960771250005X
- Berkowitz, M. W., & Simmons, P. E. (2003). Integrating science education and character education. In D. L. Zeidler (Ed.), The role of moral reasoning on socioscientific issues and discourse in science education (pp. 117-138). The Netherlands: Springer.
- Browne, M. W., & Cudeck, R. (1993). Alternative ways of assessing model fit. In K. A. Bollen & J. S. Long (Eds.), Testing structural equation models (pp. 136-162). Newbury Park, CA: Sage.
- Cha, J., & Cheong, J. (1993). Collectivism in modern Korean society. Korean Journal of Social and Personality Psychology, 7(1), 150-163.
- Character Education Promotion Act (2015). No. 26403.
- Chiou, J. S. (2001). Horizontal and vertical individualism and collectivism among college students in the United States, Taiwan, and Argentina. The Journal of Social Psychology, 141(5), 667-678. https://doi.org/10.1080/00224540109600580
- Cho, G. (1996). Culture and person perception. Korean Journal of Psychology: General, 15(1), 104-139.
- Cho, G., & Kim, E. (2001). Cultural dispositions and conformity to peers. Korean Journal of Social and Personality Psychology, 15(1), 139-165.
- Cho, G., & Kim, S. (1998). Preference for the modesty-biased attributer in Korean culture. Korean Journal of Social and Personality Psychology, 12(1), 169-189.
- Choi, K., Lee, H., Shin, N., Kim, S. W., & Krajcik, J. (2011). Reconceptualization of scientific literacy in South Korea for the 21st century. Journal of Research in Science Teaching, 48(6), 670-697. https://doi.org/10.1002/tea.20424
- Cohen, J. (1988), Statistical power analysis for the behavioral sciences (2nd ed.). Hillsdale, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum.
- Fowler, S. R., Zeidler, D. L., & Sadler, T. D. (2009). Moral sensitivity in the context of socioscientific issues in high school science students. International Journal of Science Education, 31(2), 279-296. https://doi.org/10.1080/09500690701787909
- Han, D., Kang, H., & Park, H. (2010). Analyses of fan motivation and individualism-collectivism of college students. Journal of Korean Society for the Study of Physical Education, 15(2), 225-238.
- Han, G., & Oh, J. (1993). An analysis of children’s social interaction: Application of the theory of individualism/collectivism. Korean Journal of Social Psychology, 7(1), 185-197.
- Hofstede, G. (1983). National cultures in four dimensions: A research-based theory of cultural differences among nations. International Studies of Management & Organization, 13(1-2), 46-74. https://doi.org/10.1080/00208825.1983.11656358
- Hu, L., T., & Bentler, P. M. (1999). Cutoff criteria for fit indexes in covariance structure analysis: Conventional criteria versus new alternatives. Structural Equation Modeling: A Multidisciplinary Journal, 6, 1-55. https://doi.org/10.1080/10705519909540118
- Hui, C. H. (1988). Measurement of individualism-collectivism. Journal for Research in Personality 2(2), 17-36.
- Hunecke, M., Blobaum, A., Matthies, E., & Hoger, R. (2001). Responsibility and environment ecological norm orientation and external factors in the domain of travel mode choice behavior. Environment and Behavior, 33(6), 830-852. https://doi.org/10.1177/00139160121973269
- Jang, J., Mun, J., Ryu, H., Choi, K., Krajcik, J., & Kim, S.-W. (2013). Korean middle school students’ perceptions as global citizens of socioscientific issues. Journal of the Korean Association for Science Education, 32(7), 1124-1139.
- Jang, S., Cha, H., Park, H., & Park, C. (2016). Effectiveness of decision-making skills in ssi class based on debate by utilizing sns in terms of students’ personality traits. Journal of the Korean Association for Science Education, 36(5), 757-768. https://doi.org/10.14697/jkase.2016.36.5.0757
- Jeong, Y. (2015). Environmental welfare, for a safe and healthy life. Retrieved March 14, 2017, from http://www.gnnews.co.kr/news/articleView.html?idxno=231833
- Kenny, D. A. (1979). Correlation and causality. New York, NY: Wiley.
- Kim, H., Yang, J., & Woo, A. (2015) Effect of socio-scientific issues classes on the decision-making and the character and value. Journal of Research in Curriculum Instruction, 19(4), 983-1003. https://doi.org/10.24231/rici.2015.19.4.983
- Kim, J. (2015). The impact of individualism-collectivism, moral norm on intention of proenvironmental behavior and proenvironmental consumption: Focusing on moderating effect of price sensitivity. Korean Journal of Consumer and Advertising Psychology, 16(3), 519-539. https://doi.org/10.21074/kjlcap.2015.16.3.519
- Kim, J., Ko, Y., & Lee, H. (2016). Effects of socioscientific issues instruction on elementary school students’ character and values as a global citizens. The Journal of Elementary Education, 29(3), 1-25.
- Kim, M. (2006). Lohas economics: A new lifestyle for sustainable world. Seoul: Miraebook.
- Kim, S. (2016). Basic and advanced structural equation model: With Mplus examples. Seoul: Hakjisa.
- Kline, R. B. (2011). Principles and practice of structural equation modeling (3rd ed.). New York, NY: The Guilford Press.
- Ko, M., & Kwon, M. (2015). Effectiveness of a character education program developed for junior college students. Korean Journal of the Learning Sciences, 9(1), 1-20.
- Kolsto, S. D. (2001). Scientific literacy for citizenship: Tools for dealing with the science dimension of controversial socioscientific issues. Science Education, 85(3), 291-310. https://doi.org/10.1002/sce.1011
- Lee, H., & Choi, T. (2004). Influence of attachment style on college adjustment: The role of idiocentrism-allocentrism and sex. Korea Journal of Counseling, 5(1), 79-94.
- Lee, H., Choi, Y., & Ko, Y. (2014). Designing collective intelligence-based instructional models for teaching socioscientific issues. Journal of the Korean Association for Science Education, 34(6), 523-534. https://doi.org/10.14697/jkase.2014.34.6.0523
- Lee, H., Chang, H., Choi, K., Kim, S., & Zeidler, D. L. (2012). Developing character and values for global citizens: Analysis of preservice science teachers’ moral reasoning on socioscientific issues. International Journal of Science Education, 34(6), 925-953. https://doi.org/10.1080/09500693.2011.625505
- Lee, H., Yoo, J., Choi, K., Kim, S. W., Krajcik, J., Herman, B. C., & Zeidler, D. L. (2013). Socioscientific issues as a vehicle for promoting character and values for global citizens. International Journal of Science Education, 35(12), 2079-2113. https://doi.org/10.1080/09500693.2012.749546
- Ministry of Education (2015). Korea national curriculum standards (2015-74). Sejong: Ministry of Education.
- Ministry of Education Science Technology (MEST). (2011). Korea national curriculum standards (2011-361). Seoul: MEST.
- Olofsson, A., & Ohman, S. (2006). General beliefs and environmental concern transatlantic comparisons. Environment and Behavior, 38(6), 768-790. https://doi.org/10.1177/0013916506287388
- Park, D., & Park, J. (2016a). A case study on application of the NABI program to realize the 'practice centered mechanism of manifesting character'. Journal of the Korean Association for Science Education, 36(6), 947-957. https://doi.org/10.14697/jkase.2016.36.6.0947
- Park, D., & Park, J. (2016b). Directions for character education in science education and a theoretical approach of nature-study in terms of character education. Journal of the Korean Association for Science Education, 36(4), 581-589. https://doi.org/10.14697/jkase.2016.36.4.0581
- Park, E. (2012). Effects of personality education program for university students. Journal of the Korea Contents Association, 12(7), 497-509.
- Park, J. (2014). Humanity education and teaching school subjects: Is it possible and necessary to teach the humanity? The Journal of Moral Education, 26(1), 177-194. https://doi.org/10.17715/jme.2014.04.26.1.177
- Peckham, P. D. (1970, March). The robustness of the analysis of covariance to heterogeneous regression slopes. In Annual Meeting of the American Educational Research Association, Minneapolis.
- Sadler, T. D. (2004). Moral sensitivity and its contribution to the resolution of socio-scientific issues. Journal of Moral Education, 33(3), 339-358. https://doi.org/10.1080/0305724042000733091
- Sadler, T. D., & Zeidler, D. L. (2004). The morality of socioscientific issues: Construal and resolution of genetic engineering dilemmas. Science Education, 88(1), 4-27. https://doi.org/10.1002/sce.10101
- Seo, Y., & Ko, M. (2013). A case study on character education applying project based learning. Korean Journal of the Learning Sciences, 7(1), 49-77.
- Singelis, T. M. (1994). The measurement of independent and interdependent self-construals. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, 20(5), 580-591. https://doi.org/10.1177/0146167294205014
- Singelis, T. M., Triandis, H. C., Bhawuk, D. P. S., & Gelfand, M. J. (1995). Horizontal and vertical dimensions of individualism and collectivism: A theoretical and measurement refinement. Cross-Cultural Research, 29(3), 240-275. https://doi.org/10.1177/106939719502900302
- Triandis, H. C., Leung, K., Villareal, M. J., & Clark, F. L. (1985). Allocentric versus idiocentric tendencies: Convergent and discriminant validation. Journal of Research in Personality, 19(4), 395-415. https://doi.org/10.1016/0092-6566(85)90008-X
- Triandis, H. C. (1995). Individualism and collectivism. Boulder, CO: Westview Press.
- Vikan, A., Camino, C., Biaggio, A., & Nordvik, H. (2007). Endorsement of the new ecological paradigm a comparison of two Brazilian samples and one Norwegian sample. Environment and Behavior, 39(2), 217-228. https://doi.org/10.1177/0013916506286946
- Wagner, J. A., III. (1995). Studies of individualism-collectivism: Effects on cooperation in groups. Academy of Management Journal, 38(1), 152-172. https://doi.org/10.2307/256731
- Yi, J. (2000). The psycho-social characteristics of Korean adults: Collectivist and moving toward individualist. Korean Journal of Psychological and Social Issue, 6(3), 201-219.
- Zeidler, D. L., Berkowitz, M. W., & Bennett, K. (2014). Thinking (scientifically) responsibly: The cultivation of character in a global science education community. In M. P. Muller, D. J. Tippins & A. J. Stewart (Eds.), Assessing schools for generation R (Responsibility) (pp. 83-99). The Netherlands: Springer.
- Zeidler, D. L., & Keefer, M. (2003). The role of moral reasoning and the status of socioscientific issues in science education. In D. L. Zeidler (Ed.), The role of moral reasoning on socioscientific issues and discourse in science education (pp. 7-38). The Netherlands: Springer.
- Zeidler, D. L., & Nichols, B. H. (2009). Socioscientific issues: Theory and practice. Journal of Elementary Science Education, 21(2), 49-58. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF03173684
- A Delphi Study on the Outcome Criteria of Character Education for College Students vol.30, pp.6, 2018, https://doi.org/10.13000/JFMSE.2018.12.30.6.1956