- Volume 37 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Analysis of Trends of Character-Related Research in Science Education
과학교육에서 인성 관련 연구의 동향 분석
- Received : 2017.05.13
- Accepted : 2017.06.22
- Published : 2017.06.30
The purpose of this study is to investigate the trends of character-related research in science education by analyzing science education research literatures in South Korea. To this end, literatures on character were extracted from the KCI-listed journals and theses from 1990 to December 2016, and analyzed according to the criteria such as terms relating to character, year of publication, research design and method, and research content. A total of 54 KCI-listed papers and 67 theses were extracted. As a result, 46%, 49%, and 5% of the researches include the terms like character, ethic, and moral in their titles. According to the year of publication, it was found that the number of research papers related to character increased rapidly by more than two times in 2012 as compared to the past years. According to research objects, researches about gifted students were the most common, and when considering the ratio of gifted students to general students, many studies related to character concentrated on gifted students. Starting 2009, research papers on qualitative and hybrid research design begin to advance as compared the number of papers in quantitative research design. With regards to research methods used, seven methods were classified; five of them ranged from 16% to 19% while interpretive research method was 12% and test tool validity study was the lowest at 2%. By extracting 30 representative keywords so as to analyze the contents of character-related researches, we found various implications to character in relation to nature and researches about SSI, etc. As time passed by, the contents of character-related research in science education became more diversified and the number of researches increased. New research contents appeared due to the needs of the times.
character;literature review;research trend
- Aikenhead, G. S. (2006). Science education for everyday life : evidence-based practice. New York : Teachers College Press.
- Berkowitz, M. W., & Simmons, P. (2003). Integrating science education and character education. In D. L. Zeilder (Ed), The role of moral reasoning on semiscientific issues and discourse in science education (pp. 117-138). Dordrecht, the Netherlands: Kluwer Academic Publishers.
- Cheek. D. W. (1992). Thinking constructively about science, technology, and society education, Albany, New York: State University of New Press.
- Cho, H. & Choi K. (1998). The necessities and current states of educating ethical characteristics of science. Journal of the Korean Association for Science Education, 18(4), 559-570.
- Choi, K. (2012). The direction of science gifted education based on creativity and character. Journal of the Korean Association for Science Education, 32(7), 1169-1186. https://doi.org/10.14697/jkase.2012.32.7.1169
- Choi, S. (2015). Character Education as a historic discourse. The Korean Journal of Philosophy of Education, 37(2), 179-197. https://doi.org/10.15754/jkpe.2015.37.2.009
- Choi, Y., Kim I., & Im S. (2015). The relationships between moral sensitivity and preference for science, belief about learning science of middle school students. Journal of the Korean Association for Science Education, 35(1), 65-72. https://doi.org/10.14697/jkase.2015.35.1.0065
- Choi, Y., Lee H., & Chin Y.(2016). Trends and Tasks of Character Education Studies in Korea. Journal of Learner-Centered Curriculum and Instruction, 16(6), 489-517.
- Giddens, A. & Sutton, P. W. (2014). Essential concepts in sociology. Cambridge: Polity Press.
- Jeong, C. (2015). Theories and practices of character education. Paju: Kyoyookgwahaksa.
- Kang, K. (2010). The domestic research trend related to science education for the gifted. Journal of the Korean Association for Science Education, 30(1), 54-67.
- Kim, K. (2015). Meta-analysis of the effects of character education programs. Unpublished Doctoral Thesis. Chonnam National University.
- Korean Educational Development Institute (2014). Promoting core competency education and building innovative learning ecosystems for fostering talet for the future(II) (미래 인재 양성을 위한 핵심 역량 교육 및 혁신적 학습 생태계 구축 (II)). Seoul: Korean Educational Development Institute.
- Korean Educational Development Institute (2015a). A study on the mid-long-term development plan for Character education improvement (인성교육 진흥 중장기 발전 방안 연구). Seoul: Korean Educational Development Institute.
- Korean Educational Development Institute (2015b). Research on how to revitalize primary and secondary school students' character education (III) : develop in-service materials on character education for middle school teachers (초⋅중등 학생 인성교육 활성화 방안 연구(III): 중학생 인성교육을 위한 교원 연수 자료 개발). Seoul: Korean Educational Development Institute.
- Korean Educational Development Institute (2016). A study on activation plan for character education of elementary and middle school students(IV) - Development of In-service training course material for high school character education (초⋅중등 학생 인성교육 활성화 방안 연구(IV) - 고등학생 인성교육을 위한 교원 연수 자료 개발). Seoul: Korean Educational Development Institute.
- Korea Institute for Curriculum and Evaluation (2014). A study on the guidelines for subject curriculum development. Seoul: Korea Institute for Curriculum and Evaluation.
- Kuhn, T. S. (1962). The structure of scientific revolutions. Chicago; London: The University of Chicago Press.
- Kum, K. (2004). An analysis into the practical examples of korean character-education and a proposal of ethical personalism(II). Journal of the New Korean Philosophical Association, 35, 27-52.
- Kwak, Y. (2013). Way of restructuring key competencies for a revision of science curriculum. Journal of the Korean Association for Science Education, 34(4), 368-377.
- Kwon, N. & Ahn, J. (2012). The analysis on domestic research trends for convergence and integrated science education. Journal of the Korean Association for Science Education, 32(2), 265-278. https://doi.org/10.14697/jkase.2012.32.2.265
- Lee, I. (2002). The effects of open character education program on character development in the elementary schools: an ethnography study. Journal of Korean Ethics Studies, (50), 261-317.
- Lee, M. (2014). Characteristics and trends in the classifications of scientific literacy definitions. Journal of the Korean Association for Science Education, 34(2), 55-62. https://doi.org/10.14697/jkase.2014.34.2.0055
- Lewis, J., & Leach, J. (2006). Discussion of socio-scientific issues: The role of science knowledge. International journal of science education, 28(11), 1267-1287. https://doi.org/10.1080/09500690500439348
- Lim, Y. & Jang S. (2016). An analysis on the relationship between key competencies and subjects of the 2015 revised national curriculum: using semantic network analysis. Journal of Learner-Centered Curriculum and Instruction, 16(10), 749-771. https://doi.org/10.22251/jlcci.2016.16.10.749
- Ministry of Education (2011). Science Curriculum Notification No. 2011-361 of MEST. Seoul: Ministry of Education, Science and Technology.
- Ministry of Education (2014a). A study of development character index(인성지수 개발 연구). Seoul: Jinhan M&B.
- Ministry of Education (2014b). Policy research for the establishment of vision in character education(2014년도 인성교육 강화 기본계획). Seoul: Jinhan M&B.
- Moorhead, B. (1995). Words Aptly Spoken. Washington: Overlake Christian Bookstore.
- Park, D. & Park J. (2016) Directions for character education in science education and a theoretical approach of nature-study of character education. Journal of the Korean Association for Science Education, 36(5), 581-589. https://doi.org/10.14697/jkase.2016.36.4.0581
- Park, J. (2014). Humanity education and teaching school subjects: Is it possible and necessary to teach the humanity? The Korean Society for the Study of Moral Education, 26(1), 177-194.
- Sadler, T. D., & Donnelly, L. A. (2006). Socioscientific argumentation: The effects of content knowledge and morality. International Journal of Science Education, 28(12), 1463-1488. https://doi.org/10.1080/09500690600708717
- Sewell, W. H. (2005). Logics of history: Social theory and social transformation. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
- Sim, S. (2014). Moral education for democratic citizen (민주시민을 위한 도덕교육). Seoul: Sallimter.
- Son, B. (1995). Character Education: Need, Style, Way (인성교육: 필요, 성격, 방법). Philosophy and Reality 27, 60-69.
- Yang, J., Kim, H., Lei G. Kim, E., Kim, S. & Lee, H. (2012). Perceptions of science teachers on socioscientific issues as instructional tool for creativity and character education. Journal of the Korean Association for Science Education, 32(1), 113-128. https://doi.org/10.14697/jkase.2012.32.1.113
- Yoo, K., Han, Y. & Ha, J. (2011). A Development and a Validation of the KEDI Creative character Scale. Asian Journal of Education, 12(4), 217-247. https://doi.org/10.15753/aje.2011.12.4.010
- Yu, B. (2015). A study on virtue education approach and practical principles in character education. The Journal of Korea elementary education, 26(1), 303-322.
- Character Education Promotion Act, No. 13004 (2015).