- Volume 27 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
A Systemic Review of Korean Medical Treatment Combined with Continuous Passive Motion Therapy on the Knee Joint Postoperative Rehabilitation
슬관절 수술 후 재활에 대한 Continuous Passive Motion 치료와 한의 병행치료의 체계적 문헌 고찰
- Received : 2017.06.19
- Accepted : 2017.07.05
- Published : 2017.07.31
Objectives The objective of this study is to report the evidence that continuous passive motion (CPM) therapy combined with Korean Medicine is effective for knee injuries. Methods We searched 2 Korean medical electronic databases, and 2 Chinese electronic databases to find randomized controlled clinical trials (RCTs) that treat knee injuries with Korean Medicine combined with CPM therapy. We selected studies by screening. We extracted data from selected RCTs, and analyzed RCTs by using Cochrane's Risk of bias criteria. Results 386 studies are searched, and 7 RCTs are selected. According to the study, several kinds of Korean Medicine such as hydrotherapy, decoction, acupuncture, moxibustion, and manual therapy are used with CPM therapy for the knee joint postoperative rehabilitation. We found the encouraging evidence that Korean Medicine and CPM combined therapy is more effective than single CPM therapy by alleviating pain, increasing range of motion, and improving knee function, etc. However, the risk of bias in most RCTs was judged to be uncertain. Conclusions Combination of Korean Medicine and CPM therapy can compensate the defect of single CPM therapy, and promotes the recovery of knee joint function.
Korean Medicine;Continuous passive motion therapy;Combined therapy;Knee injuries;Knee joint postoperative rehabilitation
- The Korean Orthopaedic Association. Orthopaedics. Seoul:The New medical publishing. 2013;994.
- Sarwark JF, American Academy Of Orthopaedic Surgeons. Translated by Park JH. Essentials of musculoskeletal care. 4th edition. 2010. Seoul:Panmun education, 2015;692-5.
- Brotzman SB, Manske RC. Korean academy of sports science and exercise medicine. Clinical orthopaedic rehabilitation an evidence-based approach, 3rd edition. Philadelphia:Elsevier. 2011. Seoul:Hanmi book. 2012;213-4,279-80.
- The Korea Acupuncture & Moxibustion Medicine Society. Acupuncture Medicine. Seoul:Jipmoondang. 2012;549-61.
- Lee HJ, Park CW. Rehabilitation after Anterior Cruciate Ligament Reconstruction. Knee surgery & related research. 2011;23(2):69-78.
- Beaupre LA, Davies DM, Jones CA, Cinats JG. Exercise combined with continuous passive motion or slider board therapy compared with exercise only: a randomized controlled trial of patients following total knee arthroplasty. Physical therapy. 2001;81(4):1029-37.
- Salter RB, Bell RS, Keeley FW. The protective effect of continuous passive motion on living articular cartilage in acute septic arthritis: an experimental investigation in the rabbit. Clinical orthopaedics and related research. 1981; 59:223-47.
- Yun JY, Lee JK. Effects of a Thera-band exercise program on pain, knee flexion ROM, and psychological parameters following total knee arhtroplasty. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing. 2015;45.6:823-33.
- Kim CG, Lee JH, Jo DC, Moon SJ, Park TY, and Ko YS. Korean medical rehabilitation for total knee replacement. Journal of oriental rehabilitation medicine. 2014;24(1): 111-8.
- Kim JY, Kim SM, Park BY, Jun PC, Choi WS, "A case report of patient with knee pain after operative treatment of proximal tibial plateau fracture", Journal of oriental sports medicine, 2011;11(1):95-104.
- O'Driscoll SW, continuous passive motion(CPM): Theory and principles of clinical application. Journal of Rehabilitation Research and Development. 2000;37(2):179-88.
- Ha HJ, Kim MK, Lee CH, Oh MS. 3 Cases of CPM Combined with Korean Medical Treatment for Knee Joint Rehabilitation. Daejeon journal of the institute of oriental medicine. 2016;25(1):15-26.
- Park CH, Song YK. The clinical case report about postoperative rehabilitation for the tear of anterior cruciate ligament treated with Korean medical treatment and continuous passive motion. The journal of Korea CHUNA medicine for spine & nerves. 2016;11(1):97-107.
- Kim SY, Park HE, Seo HJ, Lee YJ, Son HJ, Suh HS, Shin CM. NECA's guidance for undertaking systematic reviews and meta-analyses for intervention, Seoul:National evidence-based healthcare collaborating agency, 2011;47,53, 56,82-5,129.
- Health insurance review & assessment service, Department fo EBH, HIRA's guideline for undertaking systematic reviews, Seoul:Health insurance review & assessment service, 2013;4-6,44-9,74,99-101.
- PRISMA (Preferred Reporting Items for Systematic reviews and Meta-analyses), PRISMA Checklist, PRISMA flow diagram. Available from: (Last search : 2017.06.15) URL:http://prisma-statement.org/PRISMAStatement/
- Higgins JPT, Green S. Cochrane handbook for systematic reviews of interventions version 5.1.0. The Cochrane Collaboration, 2011. Available from: (Last search : 2017.06.15) URL:http://handbook.cochrane.org/
- Li WP, Wang LG, Song B, Yang R, Zhang ZZ. Guxifang combined with continuous passive motion in the treatment of stiffness of the knee joint after the anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction. Lingnan modern clinics in surgery. 2010;5:364-5.
- Liu YJ. The analysis of the therapeutic effect of herbal fumigation on the low-energy tibial plateau injury after arthroscopic surgery. MS thesis. Liaoning university of traditional Chinese medicine. 2010.
- Zhang HL, Hu BJ. The clinical observation about traditional Chinese massage combined with CPM in the rehabilitation after knee replacement surgery. Guangming journal of Chinese medicine. 2011;26(5):989-90.
- Xiong Q. Chen YH. Efficacy observation of different methods of rehabilitation care after anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction. Modern diagnosis and treatment. 2011;22(3):148-9.
- Cai CX. The clinical observation about Taohongsiwu decoction on the recovery of patella fracture after operation. Fujian university of traditional Chinese medicine [D]. 2012.
- Xu YS. The study of recovery effect of early intervention after unilateral total knee arthroplasty by using abdominal acupuncture. MS thesis. Guangzhou university of Chinese medicine. 2014.
- Shao HB, Wu H. The clinical efficacy of moxibustion to the primary total knee arthroplasty postoperative pain and recovery of knee joint function. Journal of Qiannan medical college for nationalities. 2015;28(4):254-6.
- National College of Oriental Medicine Collaborative Textbook Compilation Committee, Herbal medicine, Seoul: Younglim publishing, 2010:216-21, 447-83,576-8, 589-618.
- Salter RB, Field P. The effects of continuous compression on living articular cartilage. The Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery. American volume. 1960;42(1): 31-90. https://doi.org/10.2106/00004623-196042010-00004
- Salter RB. continuous passive motion: From Origination to Research to Clinical Applications. Journal of Rheumatology. 2004;31:2104-5.
- Bruun-Olsen V, Heiberg KE, Mengshoel AM. continuous passive motion as an adjunct to active exercises in early rehabilitation following total knee arthroplasty-a randomized controlled trial. Disability and rehabilitation. 2009;31 (4):277-83. https://doi.org/10.1080/09638280801931204
- Kim SJ, Lim YE, Kwon YD, Song YS. Bibliographic study on hydrotherapy. Journal of oriental rehabilitation medicine. 2001;11(1):97-112.
Sun GR, Xiao SW. Effect of Taohong Siwu Decoction on Expression of Serum IL-2, IL-6 and TNF-
$\alpha$after Knee Joint Replacement. Journal of Traditional Chinese Medicine University of Hunan. 2008;28(3):32-4.
- Seung JW, Ahn CB. A study on human immune activity of the arthritis and multi-neuritis through different moxibustion methods. The ACUPUNCTURE. 1991;8(1): 395-403.
- Korean Society of Chuna Manual Medicine Spine & Nerves. CHUNA Manual Medicine. Seoul:Korean Society of Chuna Manual Medicine Spine & Nerves. 2011;19, 473,490,543.
- Kweon JJ, Lim HH, Song YK. Analysis of osteopathic manipulation and study on relationship with Chuna manual therapy for Meridian Sinew system. Journal of oriental rehabilitation medicine. 2011;21(2):171-88.
- Tegner Y, Lysholm J. Rating systems in the evaluation of knee ligament injuries. Clinical orthopaedics and related research. 1985;198:42-9.
- Koh SB, Chang SJ, Kang MG, Cha BS, Park JK. Reliability and validity on measurement instrument for health status assessment in occupational workers. Korean Journal of preventive medicine. 1997;30(2): 251-66.
- Cho WS, Park SS, Kim DH, Jeong YG, Baek SK, Park CJ. The reliability of HSS knee rating system. Knee Surgery & Related Research. 2000;12(1):43-8.
- Jung CY, Kim EJ, Hwang MS, Cho HS, Kim KH, Lee SD, Kim KS. The research of pain and functional disability assessment scales for knee koint disease. The ACUPUNCTURE. 2010;27(2):123-42.