- Volume 27 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Chuna Manual Therapy for Primary Dysmenorrhea: A Systematic Review
원발성 월경통의 추나 치료에 대한 체계적 문헌 고찰
- Received : 2017.06.19
- Accepted : 2017.07.03
- Published : 2017.07.31
Objectives The purpose of this study is to evaluate the effectiveness of Chuna therapy for primary dysmenorrhea. Methods Researchers searched on 7 electronic databases (Pubmed, National Digital Science Library, China National Knowledge Infrastructure, Wangfang med online, Korean Studies Information Service System, Research Information Sharing Service and Oriental medicine Advanced Searching Integrated System). The search included Korean, English, Chinese reports and there was no limit on the search period. All of randomized controlled clinical trials (RCTs) that used Chuna manual therapy for primary dysmenorrhea were selected. Results 27 RCTs met required condition. Meta-analysis showed positive results for Chuna manual therapy for primary dysmenorrhea in terms of therapeutic effects and reduction of symptom scores compared to west medicine, herbal medicine, acupucture and other treatments. Conclusions Above results showed that performing chuna is effective in treating dysmenorrhea. However, in some studies, there was no statistic significance between the experimental group and the control group. Also, according to Cochrane Risk of Bias (RoB) evaluation method, quality of the studies were not high enough. Since most of the materials were in Chinese, more high-quality clinical trials about Chuna therapy for primary dysmenorrhea are needed in Korea.
Chuna manual therapy;Primary dysmenorrhea;Systematic review;Traditional Korean Medicine (TKM)
- Ma L. Clinical investigations on the treatment of primary dysmenorrhea congealing cold and blood stasis with tuina therapy. Shandong University of Traditional Chinese Medicine. 2009:1-36.
- Wang Q. The clinical study and mechanism research on the effect of primary dysmenorrhea treated by tuina therapy(cold coagulation and blood stasis type). Shandong University of Traditional Chinese Medicine. 2009:1-32.
- Cheng ZP. Clinical observation on the treatment of primary dysmenorrhea (qi stagnation and blood stasis type) by chuna therapy. Shandong University of Traditional Chinese Medicine. 2007:1-27.
- Guo J, Wang DZ, Ding QM. Clinical observation on the treatment of dysmenorrhea by traditional chinese medicine. Tianjin Journal of Traditional Chinese Medicine. 2012;29:356-8.
- Wang ZJ. Clinical analysis of chuna therapy for primary dysmenorrhea. Nei Mongol Journal of Traditional Chinese Medicine. 2014;34:64.
- Silvia MC, Cleofas RB, Angel OPV, Alberto M, Juan J, Francois R. Changes in pain perception after pelvis manipulation in women with primary dysmenorrhea a randomized controlled trial. Pain Medicine. 2014;15: 1455-63. https://doi.org/10.1111/pme.12404
- Katrina K, Della MS, John JT, Patricia CB. The effect of spinal manipulation on pain and prostaglandin levels in women with primary dysmenorrhea. Journal of Manipulation and Physiological Therapeutics. 1992;15:279-85.
- Zhu JL. Study of chuna combined with Ibuprofen in treating primary dysmenorrhea of female students in higher vocational colleges. Medical Innovation of China. 2012;9:105-6.
- Yan J. Clinical observation on 50 cases of primary dysmenorrhea treated by balance needle combined with chuna treatment. Hebei TCM. 2013;13:259-61.
- He X. Clinical study on the effect of organ chuna for dysmenorrhea. Mod Diagn Treat. 2014;25:5092-4.
- Zhang QM, Fang M, Ye Y, Liu YC. Clinical analysis of massage therapy for primary dysmenorrhea. Shanghai Journal of Traditional Chinese Medicine. 2007;7:191-7.
- Li N, Wang JS, Tan ZD, Pan JY, Gao LQ, Ding YX, Song ZT, Wang HJ. Clinical study on treatment of primary dysmenorrhea by massage technique organ chuna. Asia-Pacific Traditional Medicine. 2016;10:121-2.
- Statistical report of the disease 2015. Korea Statistical Information Service[serial online] 2016 Dec[cited 2017 April 26]. Available from: URL: http://www.kosis.kr./statHtml/statHtml.do?orgId=350&tblId=DT_35001_A81512&vw_cd=MT_ZTITLE&list_id=350_35001_6&seqNo=&lang_mode=ko&language=kor&obj_var_id=&itm_id=&conn_path=E1.
- Oriental gynecology. The Compilation Committee of Oriental Gynecology. Seoul:Jeong-dam. 2007:183-224.
- Xu YS. Clinical observation on treatment of primary dysmenorrhea by massage technique. Beijing University of Chinese Medicine. 2013:67.
- Ao RB. Clinical observation of differentiation chuna for primary dysmenorrhea syndrome. For All Health. 2016; 10:104-5.
- Zhao J, Wang JH. Treatment of 30 cases of primary dysmenorrhea by syndrome differentiation. Journal of External Therapy of Traditional Chinese Medicine. 2015; 24:45-6.
- Ru YJ, Zheng XY. Clinical observation of chuna therapy for primary dysmenorrhea. Chin J Prim Med Pharm. 2015;22:1890-1.
- Shen L. Clinical experience of massage treatment of dysmenorrhea. Comtemporary Mecidine Forum. 2014;12: 160-1.
- Zhu MX. Chuna treatment of 30 cases of primary dysmenorrhea with cold coagulation and blood stasis type. Medical Laboratory Science and Clinics. 2011;22:106.
- Lin HQ. Clinical observation on treatment of primary dysmenorrhea by chuna. Chinese Manipulation & Rehabilitation Medicine. 2010;1:37.
- Zheng YY. Clinical analysis of massage therapy for dysmenorrhea. Journal of Modern Medicine&Health. 2006; 22:1188.
- Wang HL, Feng YH. Chuna treatment for primary dysmenorrhea in 62 cases. Shanghai Journal of Traditional Chinese Medicine. 2003;37:34-5.
- Lin LL, Liu CZ, Huang BY, Yan XD, Wang XB, Zhu J. Clinical observation on treatment of primary dysmenorrhea with acupuncture and massage. Chinese Journal of Integrative Medicine. 2008;28:418-20.
- Hu LL. Chuna treatment of 40 cases dysmenorrhea. Chinese Journal of Ethnomedicine and Ethnopharmacy. 2015;6:74.
- Chen Y, Shang GD, Fu GB, Jin T. Effects of chuna treatment on hemodynamics parameters and serum prostaglandin in patients with primary dysmenorrhea. Chinese Journal of Integrative Medicine. 2011;31:1355-8.
- Cui J. Treatment of 60 cases of dysmenorrhea with qi stagnation and blood stasis by chuna treatment. Journal of Changchun University of Traditional Chinese Medicine. 2013;29:893-915.
- Liu J, Yao WX. Lumbosacral massage in the treatment of 30 cases of primary dysmenorrhea of cold and blood stasis type. Journal of External Therapy of TCM. 2009; 18:52-3.
- Liu X. Roche massage treatment the clinical effect of the treatment of primary dysmenorrhea. Guangzhou University of Chinese Medicine Acupuncture Massage College. 2014:1-27.
- Zheng QS. Clinical observation on the treatment of primary dysmenorrhea with qi stagnation and blood stasis by chuna treatment. Journal of Anhui TCM College. 2009;28:54-6.
- Yang H, Liu CZ, Chen X et al. Systematic review of clinical trials of acupuncture-related therapies for primary dysmenorrhea. Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand. 2008;87: 1114-22. https://doi.org/10.1080/00016340802443798
- Cho SH, Hwang EW. Acupuncture for primary dysmenorrhoea: a systematic review. BJOG. 2010;117:509-21. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1471-0528.2010.02489.x
- Cho HJ, Lee SL, Choi EM. Clinical efficacy of Hyunburikyungtang-gagam for dysmenorrhea caused qi-stagnation and blood clots. The Journal of Oriental Obstetrics and Gynecology. 2002;15:228-37.
- Jang SY, Kim HJ, Lee DY, Lee EY. Effect of hominis placenta herbal acupuncture on dysmenorrhea. The Journal of Korean Acupuncture & Moxibustion Medicine Society. 2005:22:85-92.
- Kim HJ. The effect of abdominal moxibustion on menstrual discomfort in university students. Korean Journal of Oriental Physiology and Pathology. 2007:21:554-60.
- An DEB, Kim DC. Clinical study for eight cases of dysmenorrhea treated by Sobokchukeo-tang-gagambang and warm needle therapy. The Journal of Oriental Obstetrics and Gynecology. 2016;29:57-67.
- Kim B. A clinical study on the efficacy of electrostimulation on acupunctureloci in the treatment of dysmenorrhia. The Journal of Oriental Obstetrics and Gynecology. 2004;17:138-46.
- Oh YT. Comparison of effects of transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation(TENS) and San-Yin-Jiao(SP6) acupressure on primary dysmenorrhea. Korean Society of Physical Medicine. 2014;9:415-24. https://doi.org/10.13066/kspm.2014.9.4.415
- Kim JW, Park BK, Jeon JI, Yim YK. Acupuncture and moxibustion for primary dysmenorrhea in Korean literatures: a systematic review of randomized controlled trials. The Journal of Korean Acupuncture & Moxibustion Medicine Society. 2015;21:123-30.
- Heo SY. Clinical case on chuna treatment for amenorrhea. The Journal of East-west Medicine. 2000;25:17-24.
- Cho DI, Ryu SJ, Nam EY, Kim HJ, Kim SJ, Park DS. The comparative study on the effects of chuna and combined with acupuncture in patients with dysmenorrhea. Journal of Oriental Rehabilitation Medicine. 2014;24:157-64.
- Higgins J, Green S. Analysing and presenting results. Cochrane handbook for systematic reviews of interventions. 4.2.6. UK:John Wiley & Sons Inc. 2008:79-165.
- NECA's guidance for undertaking systematic reviews andmeta-analyses for intervention. National Evidencebased Healthcare Collaborating Agency. Seoul:NECA. 2011:65-78.
- Choi YD. Clinical gynecology. 2nd rev. ed. Seoul:Korea Medical Book Publishing Company. 2001:145-52.
- Z. Harel, Dysmenorrhea in adolescents. Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences. 2008;1135:185-95. https://doi.org/10.1196/annals.1429.007
- Dawood MY. Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs and changing attitudes toward dysmenorrhea. The American Journal of Medicine. 1988;84:23-9.
- Zukri SM, Naing L, Hamah TNT, Hussain NHN. Primary dysmenorrhea among medical and dental university students in Kelantan: prevalence and association. Int Med J. 2009;16:93-9.
- Fedele L, Parazzini F, Bianchi S, Arcaini L, Candiani GB. Stage and localization of pelvic endometriosis and pain. Fertil Steril. 1990;53:155-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0015-0282(16)53232-4
- Korean society of obstetrics and gynecology. Gynecology. 4th rev. ed. Seoul:Korea Medical Book Publishing Company. 2008:132-5.
- Banikarim C, Chacko MR, Kelder SH. Prevalence and impact of dysmenorrhea on hispanic female adolescents. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 2000;154:1226-9. https://doi.org/10.1001/archpedi.154.12.1226
- Smith CA, Zhu X, He L, Song J. Acupuncture for primary dysmenorrhoea. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2011;19: CD007854.
- Chung YC, Chen HH, Yeh ML. Acupoint stimulation intervention for people with primary dysmenorrhea: systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized trials. Complement Ther Med. 2012;20:353-63. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ctim.2012.02.008
- Oriental Obstetrics and Gynecology(II). The society of Korean medicine obstetrics and gynecology. 1st ed. Seoul:Esdang. 2012:86-97.
- Polat A, Celik H, Gurates B et al. Prevalence of primary dysmenorrhea in young adult female university students. Arch Gynecol Obstet. 2009;279:527-32. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00404-008-0750-0
- Chantler I, Mitchell D, Fuller A. The effect of three cyclooxygenase inhibitors on intensity of primary dysmenorrhea pain. Clin J Pain. 2008;24:39-44. https://doi.org/10.1097/AJP.0b013e318156dafc
- Harel Z. Dysmenorrhea in adolescents and young adults: from pathophysiology to pharmacological treatments and management strategies. Expert Opin Pharmacother. 2008; 9:2661-72. https://doi.org/10.1517/146565184.108.40.20661
- Akerlund M. Can primary dysmenorrhea be alleviated by a vasopressin antagonist? results of a pilot study. Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand. 1987;66:459-61. https://doi.org/10.3109/00016348709022055
- Dawood MY. Current concepts in the etiology and treatment of primary dysmenorrhea. Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand Suppl. 1986;138:7-10.
- Smith CA, Zhu X, He L, Song J. Acupuncture for primary dysmenorrhoea. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2011;19:CD007854.
- H, Kisnisci HA. Laparoscopic CO2 laser uterine nerve ablation for treatment of drug resistant primary dysmenorrhea. Fertil Steril. 1992;58:422-4. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0015-0282(16)55228-5
- Gang HJ. Effects of yoga exercise program on dysmenorrhea, menstrual pain and vasopressin concentration in female college students.. Sookmyung Women's University Graduate School of Education. 2009;20:4.
- Kim JH, Kim NS. The effect of lumbo-pelvic stabilization exercise on menstrual pain and premenstrual syndrome. Korean Society of Physical Medicine. 2012:7:29-35. https://doi.org/10.13066/kspm.2012.7.1.029
- Walsh MJ, Polus BI. A randomized, placebo-controlled clinical trial on the efficacy of chiropractic therapy on premenstrual syndrome. J Manipulative Physiol. 1999;22: 582-5. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0161-4754(99)70018-7
- DonTigny RL. Function and pathomechanics of the sacroiliac joint. Phys Ther. 1985:65:35-44. https://doi.org/10.1093/ptj/65.1.35