- Volume 18 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Coupled Analysis of Thermo-Fluid-Flexible Multi-body Dynamics of a Two-Dimensional Engine Nozzle
- Eun, WonJong (Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, Seoul National University) ;
- Kim, JaeWon (Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology) ;
- Kwon, Oh-Joon (Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology) ;
- Chung, Chanhoon (Korea Aerospace Industries) ;
- Shin, Sang-Joon (Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, Seoul National University) ;
- Bauchau, Olivier A. (University of Maryland)
- Received : 2016.03.26
- Accepted : 2017.03.15
- Published : 2017.03.30
Various components of an engine nozzle are modeled as flexible multi-body components that are operated under high temperature and pressure. In this paper, in order to predict complex behavior of an engine nozzle, thermo-fluid-flexible multi-body dynamics coupled analysis framework was developed. Temperature and pressure on the nozzle wall were obtained by the steady-state flow analysis for a two-dimensional nozzle. The pressure and temperature-dependent material properties were delivered to the flexible multi-body dynamics analysis. Then the deflection and strain distribution for a nozzle configuration was obtained. Heat conduction and thermal analyses were done using MSC.NASTRAN. The present framework was validated for a simple nozzle configuration by using a one-way coupled analysis. A two-way coupled analysis was also performed for the simple nozzle with an arbitrary joint clearance, and an asymmetric flow was observed. Finally, the total strain result for a realistic nozzle configuration was obtained using the one-way and two-way coupled analyses.
Supported by : Agency for Defense Development, National Research Foundation of Korea(NRF)
- https://grabcad.com/library/after-burner-nozzle-thrust -vectoring-nozzle-1
- Whitaker, K. W. and Gowadia, N. S. "Aircraft Thrust Vectoring Using Flexible Nonaxisymmetric Nozzles", Journal of Aircraft, Vol. 31, No. 4, 1994, pp. 984-986. DOI:10.2514/3.46592 https://doi.org/10.2514/3.46592
- Schwane, R. and Xia, Y., "Investigation of Nozzle Stability by Numerical Fluid Structure Interaction Calculation", Proceeding of the 43rd AIAA Aerospace Science Meeting and Exhibit, Reno, NV, 2005.
- Murugappan, S., Gurmark, E. J., Lakhamraju, R. R. and Khosla, S., "Flow-Structure Interaction Effects on a Jet Emanating from a Flexible Nozzle", Physics of Fluids, Vol. 20, No. 11, 2008, pp. 117105. DOI:10.1063/1.3013634 https://doi.org/10.1063/1.3013634
- Wang, T. S., Zhao, X., Zhang, S. and Chen, Y. S., "Development of an Aeroelastic Modeling Capability for Transient Nozzle Floe Analysis", Journal of Propulsion and Power, Vol. 30, No. 6, 2014, pp. 1692-1700. DOI:10.2514/1. B35277 https://doi.org/10.2514/1.B35277
- Wasfy, T. M., Modeling Flexible Multi-Body Systems Including Impact and Thermal Effects Using the Finite Element Method and Convected coordinates, Ph.D. Dissertation, Columbia University, 1994.
- Bauchau, O. A., DYMORE User's Manual, School of Aerospace Engineering, Georgia In stitute of Technology, 2006.
- Kim, J. W. and Kwon, O. J., "Numerical Study of Variable Geometry Nozzle Flow Using a Mesh Deformation Technique on Hybrid Unstructured Meshes", Journal of Computational Fluids Engineering, Vol. 18, No. 3, 2013, pp. 26-33. DOI:10.6112/kscfe.2013.18.3.026 https://doi.org/10.6112/kscfe.2013.18.3.026
- Jung, M. S., Kwon, O. J. and Kang, H. J., "Assessment of Rotor Hover Performance Using a Node-Based Flow Solver", International Journal of Aeronautical and Space Sciences, Vol. 8, No. 2, 2007, pp. 44-53. DOI:10.5139/IJASS.2007.8.2.044 https://doi.org/10.5139/IJASS.2007.8.2.044
- Roe, P. L., "Approximate Riemann Solvers, Parameter Vectors and Difference", Journal of Computational Physics, Vol. 43, No. 2, 1981, pp. 357-372. DOI:10.1016/0021- 9991(81)90128-5 https://doi.org/10.1016/0021-9991(81)90128-5
- Mathur, S. R. and Murthy, J. Y., "A Pressure-Based Method for Unstructured Meshes", Numerical Heat Transfer, Part B: Fundamentals, Vol. 31, No. 2, 1997, pp. 195-215. DOI:10.1080/10407799708915105 https://doi.org/10.1080/10407799708915105
- Spalart, P. R. and Allmaras, S. R., "A One-Equation Turbulent Model for Aerodynamic Flows", Proceedings of the 30th Aerospace Sciences Meeting and Exhibit, Reno, NV, 1992.
- Anonymous, MIL-HDBK-5H: Metallic Materials and Elements for Aerospace Vehicle Structures, U.S. Department of Defense, 2003.
- Hunter, C. A., "Experimental, Theoretical, and Computational Investigation of Separated Nozzle Flows", Proceedings of the 34th AIAA/ASME/SAE/ASEE Joint Propulsion Conference and Exhibit, Cleveland, H, 1998.
- Johnson, D. and Mar, H. M., Variable jet propulsion nozzle, Patent, US 3612400A, 1971.