- Volume 18 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Performance Enhancement of a Low Speed Axial Compressor Utilizing Simultaneous Tip Injection and Casing Treatment of Groove Type
- Taghavi-Zenouz, Reza (School of Mechanical Engineering, Iran University of Science and Technology) ;
- Behbahani, Mohammad Hosein Ababaf (School of Mechanical Engineering, Iran University of Science and Technology)
- Received : 2016.02.27
- Accepted : 2016.10.10
- Published : 2017.03.30
Performance of a low speed axial compressor is enhanced through a proper configuration of blade row tip injection and casing treatment of groove type. Air injectors were mounted evenly spaced upstream of the blade row within the casing groove and were all aligned parallel to the compressor axis. The groove, which covers all the blade tip chord length, extends all-round the casing circumference. Method of investigation is based on solution of the unsteady form of the Navier-Stokes equations utilizing
Supported by : Iran University of Science and Technology
- Cumpsty, N. A., Compressor Aerodynamics, Longman Scientific & Technical, 1989.
- Inoue, M., Kuroumaru, M., Yoshida, S., Minami, T., Yamada, K. and Furukawa, M., "Effect of Tip Clearance on Stall Evolution Process in a Low-Speed Axial Compressor Stage", ASME Turbo Expo 2004: Power for Land, Sea, and Air, 2004.
- Storer, J. and Cumpsty, N., "Tip Leakage Flow in Axial Compressors", Journal of Turbomachinery, Vol. 113, No. 2, 1991, pp. 252-259. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.2929095
- Vo, H. D., Tan, C. S. and Greitzer, E. M., "Criteria for Spike Initiated Rotating Stall", Journal of Turbomachinery, Vol. 130, No. 1, 2008, pp. 011023. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.2750674
- Hah, C., Bergner, J. and Schiffer, H. P., "Short Length-Scale Rotating Stall Inception in a Transonic Axial Compressor: Criteria and Mechanisms", ASME Turbo Expo 2006: Power for Land, Sea, and Air, 2006.
- Tan, C. S., Day, I., Morris, S. and Wadia, A., "Spike-Type Compressor Stall Inception, Detection, and Control", Annual Review of Fluid Mechanics, Vol. 42, 2010, pp. 275-300. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev-fluid-121108-145603
- Hathaway, M. D., "Passive Endwall Treatments for Enhancing Stability", NASA Glenn Research Center, Cleveland, OH, Paper No. NASA/TM-2007-214409, 2007.
- Shabbir, A. and Adamczyk, J. J., "Flow Mechanism for Stall Margin Improvement due to Circumferential Casing Grooves on Axial Compressors", Journal of Turbomachinery, Vol. 127, No. 4, 2005, pp. 708-717. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.2008970
- Epstein, A., Ffowcs Williams, J. and Greitzer, E., "Active Suppression of Aerodynamic Instabilities in Turbomachines", Journal of Propulsion and Power, Vol. 5, No. 2, 1989, pp. 204- 211. https://doi.org/10.2514/3.23137
- Suder, K. L., Hathaway, M. D., Thorp, S. A., Strazisar, A. J. and Bright, M. B., "Compressor Stability Enhancement Using Discrete Tip Injection", Journal of Turbomachinery, Vol. 123, No. 1, 2001, pp. 14-23. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.1330272
- Nie, C., Xu, G., Cheng, X. and Chen, J., "Micro Air Injection and its Unsteady Response in a Low-Speed Axial Compressor", ASME Turbo Expo 2002: Power for Land, Sea, and Air, 2002.
- Geng, S., Zhang, H., Chen, J. and Huang, W., "Unsteady Tip Clearance Flow Pattern in an Isolated Axial Compressor Rotor with Micro Tip Injection", Journal of Thermal Science, Vol. 16, No. 4, 2007, pp. 309-320. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11630-007-0309-6
- Beheshti, B. H., Ghorbanian, K., Farhanieh, B., Teixeira, J. A. and Ivey, P. C., "A New Design for Tip Injection in Transonic Axial Compressors", ASME Turbo Expo 2006: Power for Land, Sea, and Air, 2006.
- Hiller, S. J., Matzgeller, R. and Horn, W., "Stability Enhancement of a Multistage Compressor by Air Injection", Journal of Turbomachinery, Vol. 133, No. 3, 2011, pp. 031009. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.4001228
- Inoue, M. and Kuroumaru, M., "Structure of tip Clearance Flow in an Isolated Axial Compressor Rotor", Journal of Turbomachinery, Vol. 111, No. 3, 1989, pp. 250-256. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.3262263
- Inoue, M., Kuroumaru, M. and Fukuhara, M., "Behavior of Tip Leakage Flow Behind an Axial Compressor Rotor", Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power, Vol. 108, No. 1, 1986, pp. 7-14. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.3239889
- Inoue, M. A. S. A. H. I. R. O., Kuroumaru, M. O. T. O. O., Iwamoto, T. A. K. A. H. I. T. O. and Ando, Y. O. U. I. C. H. I., "Detection of a Rotating Stall Precursor in Isolated Axial Flow Compressor Rotors", Journal of Turbomachinery, Vol. 113, No. 2, 1991, pp. 281-287. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.2929102
- Furukawa, M., Inoue, M., Saiki, K. and Yamada, K., "The Role of Tip Leakage Vortex Breakdown in Compressor Rotor Aerodynamics", Journal of Turbomachinery, Vol. 121, No. 3, 1999, pp. 469-480. DOI: 10.1115/1.2841339. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.2841339
- Lift Force Generation of a Moving Circular Cylinder with a Strip-Plate Set Downstream in Cruciform Arrangement: Flow Field Improving Using Tip Ends vol.19, pp.3, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1007/s42405-018-0068-5