- Volume 18 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Precise Distribution Simulation of Scattered Submunitions Based on Flight Test Data
- Yun, Sangyong (Agency for Defense Development) ;
- Hwang, Junsik (Agency for Defense Development) ;
- Suk, Jinyoung (Chungnam National University, Department of Aerospace Engineering)
- Received : 2015.11.12
- Accepted : 2016.10.10
- Published : 2017.03.30
This paper presents a distribution simulation model for dual purpose improved conventional munitions based on flight test data. A systematic procedure for designing a dispersion simulation model is proposed. A new accumulated broken line graph was suggested for designing the distribution shape. In the process of verification and simulation for the distribution simulation model, verification was performed by first comparing data with firing test results, and an application simulation was then conducted. The Monte Carlo method was used in the simulations, which reflected the relationship between ejection conditions and real distribution data. Before establishing the simulation algorithm, the dominant ejection parameter of the submunitions was examined. The relationships between ejection conditions and distribution results were investigated. Five key distribution parameters were analyzed with respect to the ejection conditions. They reflect the characteristics of clustered particle dynamics and aerodynamics.
Supported by : Chungnam National University
- James, W. P., "Rigid Body Collision Model for Submunition Dispersion Simulation", AIAA Journal, Vol. 20, No. 3, 1983, pp. 195-200.
- Kristofer, P., "Numerical Simulation Investigations in Weapon", Naval Postgraduate School, Monterey, California, 2008.
- James, E. B., "Aerodynamic Dispersion Techniques", US Air Force Armament Laboratory, AFATL -TR-70- 123, 1970.
- James, E. B., "Aerodynamics and Flight Mechanics of Magnus-Rotor Bomblets", US Air Force Armament Laboratory, AFATL-TR-68-73, 1968.
- James, E. B., "Monte Carlo Analysis of S-Curve and Roll-Through-Zero Bomblet Dispersion Characteristics", US Air Force Armament Laboratory, AFATL-TR-70-123, 1970.
- James, E. B., "Flight Dynamics and Dispersion Characteristics of S-Curve and Roll-Through-Zero Bomblets, US Air Force Armament Laboratory, AFATL-TR-72-171, 1972.
- Raymond, S., "A Model for Bomblet Ejection from Missiles", AIAA Journal, Vol. 24, No. 4, 1978, pp. 229-235.
- William, E. D., "Simulation and Analysis of Multiple Body Dispense Event", AIAA Paper 1252, 2004.
- Harris, L. E., Jubaraj, S. and Karen, R. H., "Computational Fluid Dynamics Modeling of Submunition Separation from Missile", AIAA 99-3129, 1999.
- David, A. C., Brien, E. E. and George, M. L., "Prediction of Submunition Dispense Aerodynamics", AIAA Paper 95- 0331, 1995.
- Rayatistas, G. H., Lin, S. and Kwok, C. K., "Reverse Flow Radius in Vortex Chambers", AIAA Journal, Vol. 24, No. 11, 1986.
- Farrar, C. L. and Leeming, D. W., "Military Ballistics", Royal Military College of Science, Shrivenham, UK, 1982, Chap. 4.
- Robert, L. M., "Aero Ballistics", BRL, 1963, Chaps. 1, 2, 4.
- Melvin, J. M. and Robert, J. L., Numerical Analysis, 3rd ed., Wadsworth Publishing Company, California, 1991, pp. 447-449.
- Brian, P. F., Saul, A. T. and William, T. V., Numerical Recipes, Cambridge University Press, New York, 1989, pp. 191-199.
- FT 155-AN-1 Firing Table, Department of the Army Headquarters, 1976, Part 1.
- FT 155-AU-PAD Firing Tables, Ballistic Research Laboratory, 1989, Part 1.
- Lamar, M. A. and Dahlke, C. W., "Drag Characteristics of Ribbons", 16th AIAA Aerodynamic Decelerator Systems Technology Conference and Seminar, Boston, MA. 2001.
- Lamar, M. A. and Brette, L. W., "Application of Fabric Ribbons for Drag and Stabilization", 18th AIAA Aerodynamic Decelerator Systems Technology Conference and Seminar. Vol. 1618, 2005.
- Carruthers, F., "On the Aerodynamic Drag of Streamers and Flags", AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting and Exhibit, Reno, NV, January 2005.
- Ove D., "Cluster Weapons-Military Utility and Alternatives", Norwegian Defense Research Establishment (FFI), 2008.