- Volume 18 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Efficient Translational Motion Compensation for Micro-Doppler Extraction of Ballistic Missiles
- Jung, Joo-Ho (Unmanned Technology Research Center, Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology) ;
- Kim, Si-Ho (Agency for Defense Development) ;
- Choi, In-O (Department of Electrical Engineering, POSTECH) ;
- Kim, Kyung-Tae (Department of Electrical Engineering, POSTECH) ;
- Park, Sang-Hong (Department of Electronic Engineering, Pukyong National University)
- Received : 2016.03.08
- Accepted : 2016.11.01
- Published : 2017.03.30
When the micro-Doppler (MD) image of a ballistic missile is derived, the translational motion compensation (TMC) method is usually applied to the inverse synthetic aperture radar (ISAR) image, but yields poor results because of the micro-motion of the ballistic missile. This paper proposes an efficient TMC method to obtain a focused MD image of a ballistic missile engaged in complicated micro-motion. During range alignment, range profiles (RPs) are coarsely aligned by using the 1D entropy cost function of RPs as a mark, then the coarsely-aligned RPs are fine-aligned by using the minimum 2D entropy of the MD image. During phase adjustment, the gradient of the phase error is appropriately weighted and added to the previous phase error to further fine-tune the aligned RPs. In simulations using the point scatterer model and the measured data from the real missile model, the proposed method provided better image focus than the existing method.
- Chen, V. C., The Micro-Doppler Effect in Radar, Artech House, 2011.
- Chen, V. C., Li, F., Ho, S. and Wechsler, H., "Micro- Doppler Effect in Radar", IEEE Transactions Aerospace Electron Systems, Vol. 42, No. 1, 1996, pp. 2-21.
- Li., P., Wang, D. and Wang, L., "Separation of Micro- Doppler Signals Based on Time Frequency Filter and Viterbi Algorithm", SIViP, Vol. 7, Issue 3, 2011, pp. 593-605.
- Chen, C. C. and Andrews, H. C., "Target-Motion- Induced Radar Imaging", IEEE Transactions Aerospace Electron Systems, Vol. 16, No. 1, 1980, pp. 2-14.
- Li, X., Liu, G. and Ni, J., "Autofocusing of ISAR Images Based on Entropy Minimization", IEEE Transactions Aerospace Electron Systems, Vol. 35, No. 4, 1999, pp. 1240-1251. https://doi.org/10.1109/7.805442
- Cumming, I. G. and Wong, F. H., Digital Processing of Synthetic Aperture Radar Data, Artech House, 2005.
- Qian, S., Introduction to Time-Frequency and Wavelet Transforms, Prentice Hall, 2001.
- Jung, J. H., Kim, K. T., Kim, S. H. and Park, S. H., "Micro- Doppler Extraction and Analysis of the Ballistic Missile Using RDA Based on the Real Flight Scenario", Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 37, 2014, pp. 83-93. https://doi.org/10.2528/PIERM14040804
- Gao, H., Xie, L., Wen, S. and Kuang, Y., "Micro-Doppler Signature Extraction from Ballistic Target with Micro- Motions", IEEE Transactions Aerospace Electron Systems, Vol. 46, No. 4, 2010, pp. 1969-1982. https://doi.org/10.1109/TAES.2010.5595607
- Wang, J. and Kasilingam, D., "Global Range Alignment for ISAR", IEEE Transactions Aerospace Electron Systems, Vol. 39, No. 1, 2003, pp. 351-357. https://doi.org/10.1109/TAES.2003.1188917
- Wang, J. and Liu, X., "Improved Global Range Alignment for ISAR", IEEE Transactions Aerospace Electron Systems, Vol. 43, No. 3, 2007, pp. 1070-1075. https://doi.org/10.1109/TAES.2007.4383594
- Wang J., Liu, X. and Zhou, Z., "Minimum-Entropy Phase Adjustment for ISAR", IEE Proceedings-Radar Sonar Navigation, Vol. 151, No. 4, 2004, pp. 203-209. https://doi.org/10.1049/ip-rsn:20040692