- Volume 18 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Theoretical Modeling of Pulsed Plasma Thruster Performance with Teflon Ablation
- Cho, Mingyoung (Department of Aerospace and mechanical engineering, Korea Aerospace University) ;
- Sung, Hong-Gye (Department of Aerospace and mechanical engineering, Korea Aerospace University)
- Received : 2016.04.18
- Accepted : 2017.02.16
- Published : 2017.03.30
A performance analysis for a pulsed plasma thruster(PPT) has been conducted to predict the thrust and current change. Two models were implemented - a one-dimensional lumped circuit analysis model and the Teflon ablation model provided by Michael Keidar. The circuit model incorporating resistance and inductance models was adapted to predict the magnitude of the discharge current. Numerical simulations like current discharge rates with different voltages were reasonably well compared with experimental data. The effects of Teflon ablation on thruster characteristics were investigated.
Supported by : National Research Foundation of Korea
- Keidar, M., Boyd, I. D. and Beilis, I. I., "On the Model of Teflon Ablation in an Ablation Controlled Discharge", Journal of Physics D, Applied Physics, Vol. 34, 2001, pp. 1675-1677. https://doi.org/10.1088/0022-3727/34/11/318
- Shaw, P. V., "Pulsed Plasma Thrusters for Small Satellites", Doctoral Thesis, University of Surrey, 2011.
- Krinberg, I. A., "Plasma Flow Crisis and the Limiting Electron Temperature in a Vacuum Arc in Axial Magnetic Field", Technical Physics Letters, Vol. 31, No. 3, 2005, pp. 261-263. https://doi.org/10.1134/1.1894452
- Keidar, M., Boyd, I. D. and Beilis, I. I., "Ionization and Ablation Phenomena in an Ablative Plasma Accelerator", Journal of Physics, Vol. 96, No. 10, 2004, pp. 5420-5428.
- Keidar, M. and Boyd, I. D., "Plasma Engineering", Elsevier, 2013, pp. 68-76.
- Artamonov, M. F., Krasov, V. I. and Paperny, V. L., "Registration of Accelerated Multiply Charged Ions from the Cathode Jet of a Vacuum Discharge", Journal of Experimental and Theoretical Physics, Vol. 93, No. 6, 2001, pp. 1216-1221. https://doi.org/10.1134/1.1435742
- Theoretical Modeling and Parameter Analysis of Micro-Pulsed Plasma Thruster vol.11, pp.5, 2018, https://doi.org/10.3390/en11051146