- Volume 18 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Validation on Conceptual Design and Performance Analyses for Compound Rotorcrafts Considering Lift-offset
- Go, Jeong-In (Department of Aerospace Engineering, Chungnam National University) ;
- Park, Jae-Sang (Department of Aerospace Engineering, Chungnam National University) ;
- Choi, Jong-Soo (Department of Aerospace Engineering, Chungnam National University)
- Received : 2016.06.20
- Accepted : 2017.01.11
- Published : 2017.03.30
This work conducts a validation study for the XH-59A helicopter using a rigid coaxial rotor system in order to establish the techniques of the conceptual design and performance analysis for the lift-offset compound rotorcraft. As a tool for conceptual design and performance analysis, NDARC (NASA Design and Analysis of Rotorcraft) is used for the present study. An assumed mission profile is considered for the conceptual design of the XH-59A. As a validation result of the design, the dimensions and weight of the XH-59A are appropriately designed when compared to the target values since the relative error is less than 0.5%. Then, performance analyses are conducted for the designed XH-59A model with and without auxiliary propulsion in hover and forward flight conditions. The present analyses show good validity since the prediction results compare well with both the flight test and previous analyses. Therefore, the techniques for the conceptual design and performance analysis of the lift-offset compound helicopter are overall considered to be appropriately established. In addition, this study investigates the influence of the lift-offset on the rotor effective lift-to-drag ratio of the XH-59A helicopter with auxiliary propulsion. As a result, the improvement of the rotor effective lift-to-drag ratio can be obtained by appropriately increasing the lift-offset in high-speed flight.
Supported by : Chungnam National University, National Research Foundation of Korea(NRF)
- Ruddell, A. J., "Advancing Blade Concept(ABCTM) Development", Proceedings of the American Helicopter Society International 32nd Annual Forum, 1976.
- Bagai, A., "Aerodynamic Design of the X2 Technology DemonstratorTM Main Rotor Blades", Proceedings of the American Helicopter Society International 64th Annual Forum, 2008.
- Johnson, W., "NDARC - NASA Design and Analysis of Rotorcraft Validation and Demonstration", Proceedings of the American Helicopter Society Aeromechanics Specialists' Conference, 2010.
- Kim, S. B. and Choi, J. S., "A Study on Establishment of the Helicopter Initial Design Model Using the Modified Weight Estimation Equations", Journal of the Korean Society for Aeronautical and Space Sciences, Vol. 43, No. 3, 2015, pp. 213-223. https://doi.org/10.5139/JKSAS.2015.43.3.213
- Coleman, C. P., "A Survey of Theoretical and Experimental Coaxial Rotor Aerodynamic Research", NASA Technical Paper TP-3675, 1997.
- Blackwell, R. and Millott, T., "Dynamics Design Characteristics of the Sikorsky X2 TechnologyTM Demonstrator Aircraft", Proceedings of the American Helicopter Society 64th Annual Forum, 2008.
- Arents, D. N., "An Assessment of the Hover Performance of the XH-59A Advancing Blade Concept Demonstration Helicopter", USAAMRDL TN-25, 1977.
- Johnson, W., "Influence of Lift Offset on Rotorcraft Performance", Proceedings of the American Helicopter Society Specialist's Conference on Aeromechanics, 2008.
- Johnson, W., "NDARC - NASA Design and Analysis of Rotorcraft Theoretical Basis and Architecture", Proceedings of the American Helicopter Society Aeromechanics Specialists' Conference, 2010.
- Ruddell, A. J., "XH-59A ABC Technology Demonstrator Altitude Expansion and Operational Tests", USAAVRADCOMTR- 81-D-35, 1981.
- Bauchspies, J. S., Bryant, W. R. Jr. and Simpson, W. E., "Trade Off Analysis of Technology Needs for Public Service Helicopters", NASA Contractor Report 3927 ORI TR-2459, 1958.
- Johnson, W., "NDARC - NASA Design and Analysis of Rotorcraft", NASA TP-2009-215402, 2009.
- Johnson, W., Moodie, A. M. and Yeo, H., "Design and Performance of Lift-Offset Rotorcraft for Short-Haul Missions", Proceedings of the American Helicopter Society Future Vertical Lift Aircraft Design Conference, 2012.
- Simon, N., The Foundations of Helicopter Flight, the 1st edition, Butterworth-Heinemann, 1994.
- Computational Investigation on Unsteady Loads of High-Speed Rigid Coaxial Rotor with High-Efficient Trim Model pp.2093-2480, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1007/s42405-018-0133-0