- Volume 52 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
FDM 3D Printing of Environmental Friendly and High Strength Bio-based PC Filaments for Baby Toys
- Park, Seong Je (Micro/Nano Scale Manufacturing R&D Group, Korea Institute of Industrial Technology) ;
- Lee, Ji Eun (Micro/Nano Scale Manufacturing R&D Group, Korea Institute of Industrial Technology) ;
- Park, Jean Ho (Micro/Nano Scale Manufacturing R&D Group, Korea Institute of Industrial Technology) ;
- Lyu, Min-Young (Department of Mechanical System Design Engineering, Seoul National University of Science and Technology) ;
- Park, Keun (Department of Mechanical System Design Engineering, Seoul National University of Science and Technology) ;
- Koo, Myung Sool (Chemincal Research Center, Samyang Co.) ;
- Jin, Sun Chul (Chemincal Research Center, Samyang Co.) ;
- Kim, Ki Yong (Chemincal Research Center, Samyang Co.) ;
- Son, Yong (Micro/Nano Scale Manufacturing R&D Group, Korea Institute of Industrial Technology)
- Received : 2017.04.18
- Accepted : 2017.05.08
- Published : 2017.06.30
Due to the depletion of fossil oil and the increasing oil price, bio-plastic is currently topical. Bio-based plastics are synthesized from plant resources, unlike conventional petroleum-based counterparts. Therefore, the former minimizes global warming and reduces carbon dioxide emission. Fossil polycarbonate (PC)has good mechanical and optical properties, but its synthesis requires bisphenol-A and phosgene gas, which are toxic to humans. To address these problems, the fused deposition 3D printing process (hereafter, FDM) is studied using environmentally-friendly and high-strength bio-based PC. A comparisonof the environmental impact and tensile strength of fossil PC versus bio-based PC is presented herein, demonstrating that bio-based PC is more environmentally-friendly with higher tensile strength than fossil PC. The advantages of bio-based PC are applied in the FDM process for the fabrication of environmentally-friendly baby toys.
Grant : 3D 프린팅용 친환경 고강도 고분자 소재개발
Supported by : 산업통상자원부
- M.-Y. Lyu and H. Y. Kim, "Introduction to polymer shaping processes and their principles", Polymer Science and Technology, 20, 157 (2009).
- D. H. Cho and H. J. Kim, "Naturally cyclable biocomposites", Elastomers and Composites, 44, 13 (2009).
- H. Storz and K.-D. Vorlop, "Bio-based plastics: Status, challenges and trends." Landbauforschung Applied Agricultural and Forestry Research, 63, 321 (2013).
- S. Khoramnejadian, J. J. Zavareh, and S. Khoramnejadian, "Bio-based plastic a way for reduce municipal solid waste", Procedia Engineering, 21, 489 (2011). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.proeng.2011.11.2042
- Y. K. Jung and S. Y. Lee, "Efficient production of polylactic acid and its copolymers by metabolically engineered escherichia coli", Journal of Biotechnology, 151, 94 (2011). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbiotec.2010.11.009
- W. G. Kim, Y. W. Suh, D. M. Kim, and S. K. Yang, "Recent development of polycarbonate" Polymer Science and Technology, 8, 391 (1997).
- S. L. Ma, Y. S. Kim, J. H. Lee, J. S. Kim, I. S. Kim, and J. C. Won, "Synthesis and property of colorless polyimide and its nanocomposite for plastic display substrate", Polymer (Korea), 29, 204 (2005).
- C. K. Kim, "Polycarbonate blends and their application", Polymer Science and Technology, 4, 439 (1993). https://doi.org/10.1002/pat.1993.220040707
- D. Y. Kwon, J. I. Kim, H. J. Kang, D. Y. Kim, J. H. Kim, B. Lee, and M. S. Kim, "Recent development to generate carbon dioxide-based cyclic carbonate and polycarbonate", Clean Technology, 17, 201 (2011).
- M. R. Kim and H. C. Kim, "Analysis of adult behavior to decrease exposure to endocrine in dietary life", Journal of the East Asian Society of Dietory Life, 21, 451 (2011).
- T. Setoyama, "The Contribution of catalysis for the realization of GSC in the twenty-first century", Catalysis Surveys from Asia, 18, 183 (2014). https://doi.org/10.1007/s10563-014-9180-0
- S. H. Lee, "Prospect for 3D printing technology in medical, dental, and pediatric dental field", Journal of The Korean academy of Pediatric Dentistry, 43, 93 (2016). https://doi.org/10.5933/JKAPD.2016.43.1.93
- ASTM F2792-12a: Standard Terminology for Additive Manufacturing Technologies
- S. Kumar and J.-P. Kruth, "Composites by rapid prototyping technology", Material and Design, 31, 850 (2010). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matdes.2009.07.045
- S. J Park, J. H. Park, K. H. Lee, and M.-Y. Lyu, "Deposition strength of specimens manufactured using fused deposition modeling type 3D printer", Polymer (Korea), 40, 846 (2016). https://doi.org/10.7317/pk.2016.40.6.846
- J.-G. Kang, J.-I. Son, J.-S. Min, M.-J. Jang, Y. H. Kwon, H.-N. Yoo, Y.-J. Ko, J.-H. Kwon, T.-W. Jeon, and S.-K. Shin, "Analyzing methods for biomass content in the solid/gas phase", Journal of Korea Society of Waste Management, 33, 810 (2016). https://doi.org/10.9786/kswm.2016.33.8.810
- ASTM D6866-16 Method B: Standard Test Methods for Determining the Biobased content of Solid, Liquid and Gaseous Samples Using Radiocarbon Analysis.
- S. A. Park, J. H. Choi, S. B. Ju, J. G. Jegal, K. M. Lee, S. Y. Hwang, D. Y. X. Oh, and J. Y. Park, "Copolycarbonates of bio-based rigid isosorbide and flexible 1,4-cyclohexanedimethanol: Merits over bisphenol-A based polycarbonates, Polymer, 116, 153 (2017). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.polymer.2017.03.077
- F. Fenouillot, A. Rousseau, G. Colomines, R. S.-Loup, and J.-P. Pascault, "Polymers from renewable 1,4:3,6-dianhydrohexitols (isosorbide, isomannide and isoidide): A review", Progress in Polymer Science, 35, 578 (2010). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.progpolymsci.2009.10.001
- B. Jarzabek, E. S. Balcerzak, T. Chamenko, D. Sek, J. Cisowski, and A. Volozhin, "Optical properties of new aliphaticaromatic co-polyimides", Journal of Non-Crystalline Solids, 299, 1057 (2002).
- Q. Sun, G. M. Rizvi, C. T. Bellehumeur, and P. Gu, "Effect of processing conditions on the bonding quality of FDM polymer filaments", Rapid Prototyping Journal, 14, 72 (2008). https://doi.org/10.1108/13552540810862028
- S. J. Park, J. H. Park, M.-Y. Lyu, M. S. Koo, H. J. Rho, and S. H. Cho, "Comparison of bulk strength, weldline strength, and deposition strength of 3D printing-manufactured article in fossil PCs and bio-based PCs", Polymer (Korea), 41, 531 (2017). https://doi.org/10.7317/pk.2017.41.3.531