- Volume 36 Issue 2
A Study on Estimating Tourism Elasticities using Autoregressive Distributed Lag(ARDL) model
ARDL 모형을 이용한 관광탄력성 추정에 대한 연구
- Lee, Kyung-Hee (Dept. of Tourism Administration, Kangwon National University) ;
- Kim, Kyung-Soo (Dept. of Accounting, Kangwon National University)
- Received : 2017.04.10
- Accepted : 2017.05.26
- Published : 2017.06.30
This study was to investigate the elasticity in tourism demand of Chinese tourists visiting Malaysia through ARDL models by using Chinese tourists arrivals, GDP, CPI, transportation costs and others. When China was implementing an open-door policy with foreign countries in the early 15th century, the movement of Chinese was very limited, and then communication between China and other countries was very weak. However, the Chinese government persistently and entirely implemented an open-door policy by participating in the World Trade Organization(WTO) in 2001. The Chinese government has opened the economy through foreign direct investment by providing various incentives for foreign investment. As a result, inbound and outbound Chinese movements increased in the early 21st century. China was one of the top five most visited tourist destinations in the world by 2016, and also Chinese tourists traveling abroad increased, so they made Malaysia a popular tourists destination because of increase sharply to around 1.41 million. This study examined the significance of major economic factors affecting the increase in Chinese tourists arriving in Malaysia. Other factors that induced their arrival included income, tourism prices, transportation costs and promotional activities. Short-run shocks from the Asian economic crisis and the outbreak of SARS were included to understand how tourism demand in Malaysia was affected. Finally this study found that the combination of the ARDL and the Error Correction Model were useful to statistically estimate the elasticities of tourism demand.
- 김미경(2015), "21세기 관광산업진흥을 위한 관광벤처사업 활성화 방안," 경영과 정보연구, 34(3), 197-213.
- 김미숙(2015), "경영자보상이 투자와 이익조정에 미치는 영향에 관한 연구," 경영과 정보연구, 34(3), 179-196.
- 김한주(2015), "실현율을 이용한 관광 수요예측 - 부산 송도케이블카 설치를 중심으로-," 경영과 정보연구, 34(1), 179-190.
- 변상우(2015), "관광지 선택 동기가 관광지 이미지, 재방문의도에 미치는 영향에 관한 연구 - 감천문화마을을 중심으로-," 경영과 정보연구, 34(3), 197-213.
- 이종호(2015), "전시컨벤션 참관객 만족도와 참여업체 성과인식에 관한 연구 - 부산국제관광전을 중심으로-," 경영과 정보연구, 34(2), 171-191.
- 지성권(2010), "경영자보상의 하방경직성에 영향을 미치는 요인," 경영과 정보연구, 29(4), 333-357.
- Allsop, J.(2004), Premium pricing, paper presented at Future Foundation Changing Lives Conference.
- Fosu, A. K. and F. J. Magnus(2006), Bounds testing approach to cointegration: An examination of foreign direct investment trade and growth relationships, American Journal of Applied Sciences, 3(11), 2079-2085. https://doi.org/10.3844/ajassp.2006.2079.2085
- Habibi, F. and K. A. Rahim(2009), A bound test approach to cointegration of tourism demand, American Journal of Applied Sciences, 6(11), 1925-1932.
- Kotler, P., G. Armstrong, S. H. Ang, S. M. Leong, C. T. Tan and O. H. Yau(2009), Principles of marketing: A Global Perspective, Singapore: Pearson.
- Malaysia(2010), Rancangan Malaysia Kesepuluh, Malaysia: Percetakan Negara.
- Norlida, H. M. S., S. H. Law, S. Ramachandran, A. Shuib and M. N. Zaleha(2008), Asian tourism demand for Malaysia: A bound test approach, Contemporary Management Research, 4(4), 351-368.
- Norlida, H. M. S., O. Redzuan and S. Ramachandran(2007), Malaysia's tourism demand from selected countries: The ARDL approach to cointegration, International Journal of Economics and Management, 1(3), 345-363.
- Pesaran, B. and M. H. Pesaran(2009), Time series econometrics: using Microfit 5.0, Oxford, New York: Oxford University Press.
- Pesaran M. H. and Y. Shin(1995), Autoregressive distributed lag modeling approa ch to cointegration analysis, DAE working paper series No. 9514, Department of Economics, University of Cambridge, www.ideas.repec.org/r/cam/camdae/9514.html
- Pesaran M. H. and Y. Shin(1999), An Autoregressive distributed lag modeling approach to cointegration analysis in Econometrics and Economic theory in the 20th Century: The Ragnar Frish Centennial Symposium, Chapter 11, S. Strom, S.(ed), Cambridge University Press.
- Pesaran M. H., Y. Shin and R. J. Smith(2001), Bound testing approaches to the analysis of level relationships, Journal of Applied Econometrics, 16, 289-326. https://doi.org/10.1002/jae.616
- Song, H. and S. F. Witt(2000), Tourism demand modelling and forecasting, UK: Pergamon Press.
- Tseng, M. L.(2010), Using linguistic preferences and grey relational analysis to evaluate the environmental knowledge management capacities, Expert Systems with Applications, 37(1), 70-81. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eswa.2009.05.020
- United Nations World Tourism Organization(WTO)(2016), Yearbook of Tourism Statistic, Madrid: WTO.
- Yeoman, I.(2008), Tomorrow's tourist: Scenarios & trends, edited by Page, S. J., Advances in tourism research, Oxford: Elsevier.