- Volume 17 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Performance Evaluation and Optimization of NoSQL Databases with High-Performance Flash SSDs
고성능 플래시 SSD 환경에서 NoSQL 데이터베이스의 성능 평가 및 최적화
- 한혁 (동덕여자대학교 컴퓨터학과)
- Received : 2017.03.06
- Accepted : 2017.06.27
- Published : 2017.07.28
Recently, demands for high-performance flash-based storage devices (i.e., flash SSD) have rapidly grown in social network services, cloud computing, super-computing, and enterprise storage systems. The industry and academic communities made the NVMe specification for high-performance storage devices, and NVMe-based flash SSDs can be now obtained in the market. In this article, we evaluate performance of NoSQL databases that social network services and cloud computing services heavily adopt by using NVMe-based flash SSDs. To this end, we use NVMe SSD that Samsung Electronics recently developed, and the SSD used in this study has performance up to 3.5GB/s for sequential read/write operations. We use WiredTiger for NoSQL databases, and it is a default storage engine for MongoDB. Our experimental results show that log processing in NoSQL databases is a major overhead when high-performance NVMe-based flash SSDs are used. Furthermore, we optimize components of log processing and optimized WiredTiger show up to 15 times better performance than original WiredTiger.
NVMe Flash SSD;NoSQL Database;WiredTiger
Supported by : 동덕여자대학교
- IBM system storage ds8000 easy tier. http://www.ibm.com/systems/storage/flash/720-820.
- Netapp. http://www.netapp.com/us/products/storage-systems/flash-accel.
- Flasharray, meet the new 3rd-generation flasharray. http://www.purestorage.com/flash-array.
- A. Huffman, "NVM Express Overview & Ecosystem Update," In Proceedings of Flash Memory Summit 2013.
- MongoDB Inc., http://www.mongodb.com
- MongoDB Inc., http://www.wiredtiger.com
- Ryan Johnson, Ippokratis Pandis, Radu Stoica, Manos Athanassoulis, and Anastasia Ailamaki., "Aether: a scalable approach to logging," Proc. VLDB Endow, Vol.3, Issue.1-2, 2010(9).
- A. Mathur, M. Cao, S. Bhattacharya, A. Dilger, A. Tomas, and L. Vivier, "The new ext4 filesystem: Current status and future plans," In Proceedings of the Linux Symposium, 2007.
- Brian F. Cooper, Adam Silberstein, Erwin Tam, Raghu Ramakrishnan, and Russell Sears, "Benchmarking cloud serving systems with YCSB," In Proceedings of the 1st ACM symposium on Cloud computing (SoCC10).
- Hyojun Kim, Sangeetha Seshadri, Clement L. Dickey, and Lawrence Chiu, "Evaluating phase change memory for enterprise storage systems: a study of caching and tiering approaches," In Proceedings of the 12th USENIX conference on File and Storage Technologies (FAST'14).
- Sang-Won Lee, Bongki Moon, Chanik Park, Jae-Myung Kim, and Sang-Woo Kim, "A case for flash memory ssd in enterprise database applications," In Proceedings of the 2008 ACM SIGMOD international conference on Management of data (SIGMOD '08).
- Sangwhan Moon, Jaehwan Lee, Xiling Sun, and Yang-Suk Kee, "Optimizing the Hadoop MapReduce Framework with high-performance storage devices," Journal of Supercomputing, Vol.71, No.9, 2015(9).
- Yongseok Son, Hara Kang, Hyuck Han, and Heon Young Yeom, "An empirical evaluation and analysis of the performance of NVM express solid state drive," Cluster Computing, Vol.19, No.3, 2016(9).
- Jeong-Uk Kang, Jeeseok Hyun, Hyunjoo Maeng, and Sangyeun Cho, "The multi-streamed solid-state drive," In Proceedings of the 6th USENIX conference on Hot Topics in Storage and File Systems (HotStorage'14).
- Lanyue Lu, Thanumalayan Sankaranarayana Pillai, Hariharan Gopalakrishnan, Andrea C. Arpaci-Dusseau, and Remzi H. Arpaci-Dusseau, "WiscKey: Separating Keys from Values in SSD-Conscious Storage," ACM Transations on Storage, Vol.13, No.1, Article.5.
- Yanqin Jin, Hung-Wei Tseng, Yannis Papakonstantinou, and Steven Swanson, "KAML: A Flexible, High-Performance Key-Value SSD," In Proceedings of the 23rd IEEE Symposium on High Performance Computer Architecture (HPCA2017).