- Volume 17 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Impacts of Altruistic Disposition and Framing on Persuasion to Help Distant Others in Need: Including the Mediating Role of Perceived Relationship Closeness
이타적 성향과 긍·부정 프레이밍이 국제기아 돕기 캠페인의 효과에 미치는 영향: 친밀감의 매개 역할 검증과 함께
- 이승조 (중앙대학교 미디어커뮤니케이션학부)
- Received : 2017.04.04
- Accepted : 2017.05.24
- Published : 2017.07.28
This study examined the impact of interaction between dispositional empathic concern (DEC) and message framing on effects of the international aid campaign. DEC refers to a trait with which people tend to sympathize with and be concerned about others in need. Message framing is differentiated by positive or negative type. The results supported the prediction that the interaction between DEC and framing would have an effect on responses to messages advocating international relief activities. The overall findings show that the interaction was mainly the result of positive framing eliciting more favorable responses (behavioral intention and perceived relationship closeness) from higher DEC individuals than lower ones. The interaction effect on behavioral interaction was mediated by perceived relationship closeness.
- J. Covey, "The role of dispositional factors in moderating message framing effects," Health Psychology, Vol.33, No.1, pp.52-65, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1037/a0029305
- J. A. Updegraff, C. Brick, A. S. Emanuel, R. E. Mintzer, and D. K. Sherman, "Message framing for health: Moderation by perceived susceptibility and motivational orientation in a diverse sample of Americans," Health Psychology, Vol.34, No.1, pp.20-29, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1037/hea0000101
- M. H. Davis, "Becoming a community volunteer: Does personality matter?," In Allen M. Omoto (Eds.), Processes of Community Change and Social Action, Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum, pp.67-82, 2005.
- O. FeldmanHall, T. Dalgleish, D. Evans, and D. Mobbs, "Empathic concern drives costly altruism," Neuroimage, Vol.105, pp.347-356, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.neuroimage.2014.10.043
- N. Eisenberg, N. D. Eggum, and L. Di Giunta, "Empathy-related responding: Associations with prosocial behavior, aggression, and intergroup relations," Social Issues and Policy Review, Vol.44, No.1, pp.143-180, 2010.
- L. Shen and L. M. M. Kollar, "Testing moderators of message framing effect: A motivational approach," Communication Research, Vol.42, No.5, pp.626-648, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1177/0093650213493924
- E. S. Jeong, Y. Shi, A. Baazova, C. Chiu, A. Nahai, W. G. Moons, and S. E. Taylor, "The relation of approach/avoidance motivation and message framing to the effectiveness of charitable appeals," Social Influence, Vol.6, No.1, pp.15-21, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1080/15298868.2010.524369
- L. A. Penner, J. F. Dovidio, J. A. Piliavin, and D. A. Schroeder, "Prosocial behavior: Multilevel perspectives," Annual Review of Psychology, Vol.56, No.1, pp.365-392, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.psych.56.091103.070141
- C. D. Batson, "These things called empathy," In J. Decety and W. Ickes (Eds.), The Social Neuroscience of Empathy, Cambridge, MA: MIT Press, pp.3-15, 2009.
- W. Litvack-Miller, D. McDougall, and D. M. Romney, "The structure of empathy during middle childhood and its relationship to prosocial behavior," Genetic, Social, and General Psychology Monographs, Vol.123, No.3, pp.303-324, 1997.
- H. Paterson, B. Reniers, and B. Vollm, "Personality types and mental health experiences of those who volunteer for helplines," British J. of Guidance Counselling, Vol.37, pp.459-471, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1080/03069880903161419
- R. L. Piferi, R. L. Jobe, and W. H. Jones, "Giving to others during national tragedy: The effects of altruistic and egoistic motivations on long-term giving," J. of Social and Personal Relationships, Vol.23, No.1, pp.171-184, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1177/0265407506060185
- D. Maheswaran and J. Meyers-Levy, "The Influence of message framing and issue involvement," J. of Marketing Research, Vol.27, No.3, pp.361-367, 1990. https://doi.org/10.2307/3172593
- D. T. Wegener, R. E. Petty, and D. J. Klein, "Effects of mood on high elaboration attitude change: The mediating role of likelihood judgments," European J. of Social Psychology, Vol.24, pp.25-43, 1994. https://doi.org/10.1002/ejsp.2420240103
- I. P. Levin, G. J. Gaeth, J. Schreiber, and M. Lauriola, "A new look at framing effects: Distribution of effect sizes, individual differences, and independence of types of effects," Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, Vol.88, No.1, pp.411-429, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1006/obhd.2001.2983
- 김성학, 이승조, "자존감과 보상 유형의 상호작용이 국제구호 캠페인의 효과에 미치는 영향," 한국콘텐츠학회지, 제16권, 제9호, pp.638-648, 2016.
- C. Yan, J. P. Dillard, and F. Shen, "The effects of mood, message framing, and behavioral advocacy on persuasion," J. of Communication, Vol.60, No.2, pp.344-363, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1460-2466.2010.01485.x
- S. Sturmer, M. Snyder, A. Kropp, and B. Siem, "Empathy-motivated helping: The moderating role of group membership," Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, Vol.32, No.7, pp.943-956, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1177/0146167206287363
- A. Aron, E. N. Aron, and D. Smollan, "Inclusion of other in the self scale and the structure of interpersonal closeness," J. of Personality and Social Psychology, Vol.63, No.4, pp.596-612, 1992. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-3518.104.22.1686
- J. A. Hess, A. D. Fannin, and L. H. Pollom, "Creating closeness: Discerning and measuring strategies for fostering closer relationships," Personal Relationships, Vol.14, No.1, pp.25-44, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1475-6811.2006.00140.x
- R. B. Cialdini, S. L. Brown, B. P. Lewis, C. Luce, and S. L. Neuberg, "Reinterpreting the empathy-altruism relationship: When one into one equals oneness," J. of Personality and Social Psychology, Vol.73, No.3, pp.481-494, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-3522.214.171.1241
- 김정희, 정혜선, "노인병원 간호사의 노인에 대한 태도에 영향을 미치는 요인: 공감을 중심으로," 한국콘텐츠학회논문지, 제13권, 제12호, pp.840-850, 2013. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2013.13.12.840
- X. Zhao, J. G. Lynch, and Q. "Chen, Reconsidering Baron and Kenny: Myths and truths about mediation analysis," J. of Consumer Research, Vol.37, No.2, pp.197-206, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1086/651257
- R. Kurzban, M. N. Burton-Chellew, and S. A. West, "The evolution of altruism in humans," Annual Review of Psychology, Vol.66, pp.575-599, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev-psych-010814-015355
- G. D. Vitaglione, and M. A. Barnett, "Assessing a new dimension of empathy: Empathic anger as a predictor of helping and punishing desires," Motivation and Emotion, Vol.27, No.4, pp.301-325, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1026231622102