- Volume 17 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Reflected Status of Evidence-Based Guideline on Fundamental Nursing Textbooks for Prevention of Catheter-Associated Urinary Tract Infections
기본간호학 교과서의 근거기반 도뇨관련 요로감염 예방 실무지침에 대한 반영 현황
- Kim, Yun-Hee ;
- Jang, Keum-Seong ;
- Chung, Kyung-Hee ;
- Choi, Ja-Yun ;
- Yang, Jin-Ju ;
- Park, Soonjoo ;
- Park, Hyunyoung ;
- Ryu, Seang
- 김윤희 (국립목포대학교 간호학과) ;
- 장금성 (전남대학교 간호대학) ;
- 정경희 (남부대학교 간호학과) ;
- 최자윤 (전남대학교 간호대학) ;
- 양진주 (광주보건대학교 간호학과) ;
- 박순주 (을지대학교 간호학과) ;
- 박현영 (호남대학교 간호학과) ;
- 류세앙 (국립목포대학교 간호학과)
- Received : 2017.03.21
- Accepted : 2017.07.03
- Published : 2017.07.28
The purpose of this study was to analyze reflected status of evidence-based guideline on nursing textbook for prevention of catheter-associated urinary tract infections (CAUTIs). The subjects were 14 fundamental nursing textbooks consisting of 7 theoretical and 7 practical books published from March 2012 to March 2017. The evidence-based guideline was consisted of ninety-one recommendations for prevention of CAUTIs which were comprehensively collected from five guidelines. Collected data were analyzed using descriptive statistics. Reflected rate on theoretical and practical fundamental nursing textbooks were 23.0% and 15.2% respectively. The most reflected domains in theoretical and practical textbooks was catheter management and catheter insertion respectively. Sixteen out of 91 individual recommendations with more than 50% consistency rate were identified, and eight (50.0%) recommendations on the catheter maintenance area were identified. Lastly nine inconsistent recommendations were identified. And the most frequent discrepancies were indwelling catheterization for management of urinary incontinence, followed by regular changing indwelling catheter, clamping prior to removal and perineal care. In conclusion, we found that recommendations for the CAUTIs guidelines were poorly reflected on text books. Further revising fundamental nursing textbook should correct the discrepancies between textbooks and the guidelines.
- R. Fink, H. Gilmartin, A. Richard, E. Capezuti, M. Boltz, and H. Wald, "Indwelling urinary catheter management and catheter-associated urinary tract infection prevention practices in nurses improving care for health system elders hospitals," American J. of Infection Control, Vol.40, No.8, pp.715-720, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajic.2011.09.017
- K. S. Oman, M. B. F. Makic, R. Fink, N. Schraeder, T. Hulett, and T. Keech, "Nurse-directed interventions to reduce catheter-associated urinary tract infections," American J. of Infection Control, Vol.40, No.6, pp.548-553, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajic.2011.07.018
- C. V. Gould, C. A. Umscheid, R. K. Agarwal, G. Kuntz, and D. A. Pegues, "Guideline for prevention of catheter-associated urinary tract infections 2009," Infection Control and Hospital Epidemiology, Vol.31, No.4, pp.319-326, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1086/651091
- T. M. Hooton, S. F. Bradley, D. D. Cardenas, R. Colgan, S. E. Geerlings, and J. C. Rice, "Diagnosis, prevention, and treatment of catheter-associated urinary tract infection in adults: 2009 international clinical practice guidelines from the Infectious Diseases Society of America," Clinical Infectious Disease, Vol.50, No.5, pp.625-663, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1086/650482
- M. Willson, M. Wilde, M. L. Webb, D. Thompson, D. Parker, and J. Harwood, "Nursing interventions to reduce the risk of catheter-associated urinary tract infection: part 2: staff education, monitoring, and care techniques," J. of Wound Ostomy Continence Nursing, Vol.36, No.2, pp.137-154, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.WON.0000347655.56851.04
- D. Parker, L. Callan, J. Harwood, D. L. Thompson, M. Wilde, and M. Gray, "Nursing intervention to reduce the risk of catheter-associated urinary tract infection. part 1: catheter selection," J. of Wound Ostomy Continence Nursing, Vol.36, No.1, pp.23-34, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.WON.0000345173.05376.3e
- R, Gokula, J. Hickner, and M. Smith, "Inappropriate use of urinary catheters in elderly patients at a midwestern community teaching hospital," American J. of Infection Control, Vol.32, pp.196-199, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajic.2003.08.007
- Y. Kwak, J. Choi, H. Yoo, S. Lee, H. Kim, and S. Han, "Korean National Healthcare-associated Infections Surveillance System, Intensive Care Unit Module Report: Summary of Data from July 2014 through June 2015," Korean J. of Healthcare-Associated Infection Control and Prevention, Vol.21, No.2, pp.37-49, 2016. https://doi.org/10.14192/kjhaicp.2016.21.2.37
- L. Thomas, N. Cullum, E. McColl, N. Rousseau, J. Soutter, and N. Steen, "Guidelines in professions allied to medicine," Cochrane Database Systematic Review, Vol.2000, No.2, p.CD000349, 2000.
- M. Lugtenberg, J. S. Burgers, C. F. Besters, D. Han, and G. P. Westert, "Perceived barriers to guideline adherence: A survey among general practitioners," BMC Family Practice, Vol.12, pp.98-106, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2296-12-98
- T. Van Achterberg, L. Schoonhoven, and R. Grol, "Nursing implementation science: how evidence-based nursing requires evidence-based implementation," J. of Nursing Scholarship, Vol.40, No.4, pp.302-310, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1547-5069.2008.00243.x
- R. Grol and J. Grimshaw, "From best evidence to best practice: effective implementation of change in patients' care," Lancet, Vol.362, No.9391, pp.1225-1230, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(03)14546-1
- H. R. Voogdt-Pruis, J. W. Van Ree, A. P. M. Gorgels, and G. H. M. I. Beusmans, "Adherence to a guideline on cardiovascular prevention: A comparison between general practitioners and practice nurses," International J. of Nursing Studies, Vol.48, No.7, pp.798-807, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijnurstu.2010.11.008
- F. J. Penning-van Beest, F. Termorshuizen, W. G. Goettsch, O. H. Klungel, J. J. Kastelein, and R. M. Herings, "Adherence to evidence-based statin guidelines reduces the risk of hospitalizations for acute myocardial infarction by 40%: a cohort study," European Heart Journal, Vol.28, No.2, pp.154-159, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1093/eurheartj/ehl391
- I. Jeong, J. Jeong, H. Seo, E. Lim, E. Hong, and K. Park, "Development of Indwelling Urinary Catheterization Guideline by Adaptation Process," J. of Korean Clinical Nursing Research, Vol.21, No.1, pp.31-42, 2015. https://doi.org/10.22650/JKCNR.2015.21.1.31
- M. Laurant, M. Harmsen, H. Wollersheim, R. Grol, M. Faber, and B. Sibbald, "The impact of nonphysician clinicians: do they improve the quality and cost-effectiveness of health care services?," Medical Care Research and Review, Vol.66, No.6(Suppl), pp.36S-89S, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1177/1077558709346277
- M. Jansson, T. Ala-Kokko, P. Ylipalosaari, H. Syrjala, and H. Kyngas, "Critical care nurses' knowledge of, adherence to and barriers towards evidence-based guidelines for the prevention of ventilator-associated pneumonia-a survey study," Intensive and Critical Care Nursing, Vol.29, No.4, pp.216-227, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.iccn.2013.02.006
- D. Ciliska, "Educating for evidence-based practice," J. of Professional Nursing, Vol.21, No.6, pp.345-350, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.profnurs.2005.10.008
- D. Wilborn, R. J. Halfens, and T. Dassen, "Evidence-based education and nursing pressure ulcer prevention textbooks: does it match?," World views on Evidence-Based Nursing, Vol.6, No.3, pp.167-172, 2008.
- L. C. Cassata and T. M. Cox, "Evaluation tool for clinical nursing textbooks: bridging content analysis with evidence," J. of Nursing Education, Vol.48, No.6, pp.301-309, 2009. https://doi.org/10.3928/01484834-20090515-02
- R. A. Jablonski, "Oral health and hygiene content in nursing fundamentals textbooks," Nursing Research and Practice, Vol.2012, pp.1-7, 2012.
- R. Jeffery, T. Navarro, C. Lokker, R. B. Haynes, N. L. Wilczynski, and G. Farjou, "How current are leading evidence-based medical textbooks? an analytic survey of four online textbooks," J. of Medical Internet Research, Vol.14, No.6, p.e175, 2012. https://doi.org/10.2196/jmir.2105
- E. O. Gu, M. S. Cho, Y. A. Cho, J. S. Jeong, I. S. Jeong, and J. S. Park, "Topics for evidence-based clinical nursing practice guidelines in Korea," J. of Korean Clinical Nursing Research, Vol.17, pp.307-318, 2011.
- Y. H. Kim, K. S. Jang, K. H. Chung, J. Y. Choi, S. Ryu, and H. Y. Park, "An example of systematic searching for guidelines to prevent catheter-associated urinary tract infections-part 1: using the PubMed database," J. of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, Vol.20, No.1, pp.128-143, 2014. https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2014.20.1.128
- L. J. Conway and E. J. Larson, "Guidelines to prevent catheter-associated urinary tract infection: 1980 to 2010," Heart & Lung, Vol.41, No.3, pp.271-283, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.hrtlng.2011.08.001
- M. F. Parry, B. Grant, and M. Sestovic, "Successful reduction in catheter-associated urinary tract infections: focus on nurse-directed catheter removal," American J. of Infection Control, Vol.41, No.12, pp.1178-1181, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajic.2013.03.296
- The Joanna Briggs Institute, "Management of short-term indwelling urethral catheters to prevent urinary tract infections," Best Practice: Evidence-Based Information Sheets for Health Professionals, Vol.14, No.12, pp.1-4, 2010.
- L. H. Wang, M. F. Tsai, C. S. Han, Y. C. Huang, and H. E. Liu, "Is bladder training by clamping before removal necessary for short-term indwelling urinary catheter inpatient? a systematic review and meta-analysis," Asian Nursing Research, Vol.10, No.3, pp.173-181, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anr.2016.07.003
- K. M. Young, "Where's the evidence?," American Journal of Nursing, Vol.103, No.10, p.11, 2003.
- A. DiCenso, L. Bayley, and R. B. Haynes, "Accessing preappraised evidence: fine-tuning the 5S model into a 6S model," Annals of Internal Medicine, Vol.151, No.6, p.JC3-2-3, 2009.
- H. P. Lovedaya, J. A. Wilsona, R. J. Pratta, M. Golsorkhia, A. Tinglea, and A. Baka, "epic3: National Evidence-Based Guidelines for Preventing Healthcare-Associated Infections in NHS Hospitals in England," J. of Hospital Infection, Vol.86S1, pp.S1-S70, 2014.
- E. Lo, L. E. Nicolle, S. E. Coffin, C. Gould, L. L. Maragakis, and J. Meddings, "Strategies to Prevent Catheter-Associated Urinary Tract Infections in Acute Care Hospitals: 2014 Update," Infection Control and Hospital Epidemiology, Vol.35, No.5 pp.464-479, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1086/675718