- Volume 28 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Research Trend of Membrane for Water Treatment by Analysis of Patent and Papers Publication
특허 및 논문 게재 분석을 통한 수처리용 분리막의 연구동향
- Woo, Chang Hwa (Planning Center, Academy and Industry Collaboration, Gyeongsang National University)
- 우창화 (경상대학교 산학협력단)
- Received : 2017.06.23
- Accepted : 2017.07.16
- Published : 2017.08.10
Since the beginning of the water shortage by disasters such as global warming, environmental pollution, and drought, development of original technology and studies have been undergone to increase availability of water resources. Among them the water treatment separation membrane technology is an environmentally friendly process that does not use chemicals and shows better water quality improvement effect than conventional physicochemical and biological processes. The water treatment membrane can be applied to various fields such as waste water treatment, water purification treatment, seawater desalination, ion exchange process, ultrapure water production, organic solvent separation and water treatment technology, and it tends to expand the range of application. In the core technology of water treatment membrane, researches are being actively carried out to develop a separation membrane of better performance by controlling the pore size to adjust the separation performance. In this review, we summarized the frequency of announcement by country and organization through the technological competitiveness evaluation of patents and papers of the water separation membrane. Also, we evaluated the results from membrane research for waste water treatment, water purification treatment, seawater desalination, ion exchange process and present the future direction of research.
- H. Peter, Global freshwater resources: Soft-path solutions for the 21st century, Science, 22, 1524-1528 (2003).
- S. Hong, S. Lee, J. Kim, J. Kim, and Y. G. Ju, Evolution of RO process for green future, KIC News, 14, 9-20 (2011).
- S. Kim, J. Lee, and S. Nam, Characterization of PVDF-DBP materials for thermally induced phase separation, Membr. J., 26, 449-457 (2016). https://doi.org/10.14579/MEMBRANE_JOURNAL.2016.26.6.449
- J. Mallevialle, P. E. Odeldaal, and M. R. Wiesner, Water Treatment Membrane Processes, 11-11, McGraw-Hill, NY, USA (1996).
- H. Hwang, S. Nam, H. Koh, S. Ha, G. Barbieri, and E. Drioli, The effect of operating conditions on the performance of hollow fiber membrane modules for CO2/N2 separation, J. Ind. Eng. Chem., 18, 205-211 (2012). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jiec.2011.11.021
- J. Park, D. Kim, and S. Nam, Characterization and preparation of PEG-polyimide copolymer asymmetric flat sheet membranes for carbon dioxide separation, Membr. J., 25, 547-557 (2015). https://doi.org/10.14579/MEMBRANE_JOURNAL.2015.25.6.547
- D. Kim and S. Nam, Research and development trends of polyimide based material for gas separation, Membr. J., 23, 393-408 (2013). https://doi.org/10.14579/MEMBRANE_JOURNAL.2013.23.6.393
- H. Strathmann, Membrane separation process, J. Memb. Sci., 9, 121-189 (1981). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0376-7388(00)85121-2
- S. Hong and J. Park, Hybrid water treatment of tubular ceramic MF and photocatalyst loaded polyethersulfone beads: Effect of organic matters, adsorption and photo-oxidation at nitrogen back-flushing, Membr. J., 23, 61-69 (2013).
- Y. Park and S. Nam, Characterization of water treatment membrane using various hydrophilic coating materials, Membr. J., 27, 60-67 (2017). https://doi.org/10.14579/MEMBRANE_JOURNAL.2017.27.1.60
- T. C. Zhang, R. Y. Surampalli, S. Vigneswaran, R. D. Tyagi, and S. L. Ong, Membrane Technology and Environmental Applications, 41-74, American Society of Civil Engineers, VA, USA (2012).
- H. Choi and H. Park, Preparation of higher reinforced PVdF hollow fiber microfiltration, Membr. J., 20, 320-325 (2010).
- V. Laninovoc, Relationship between type of non solvent additive and properties of polyethersulfone membranes, Desalination, 186, 39-46 (2005). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.desal.2005.01.017
- P. van de Witte, P. Dijkstra, J. W. A. van den Berg, and J. Feijen, Phase separation processes in polymer solutions relation to membrane formation, J. Memb. Sci., 117, 1-31 (1996). https://doi.org/10.1016/0376-7388(96)00088-9
- H. Shim, Y. Lee, S. Nam, and Y. Choi, Depth cartridge filter for industrial liquid filtration, Membr. J., 19, 173-182 (2009).
- M. Kim and J. Park, Membrane fouling control effect of periodic water-back-flushing in the tubular carbon ceramic ultrafiltration system for recycling paper wastewater, Membr. J., 11, 190-203 (2001).
- L. Fiksdal and T. Leiknes, The effect of coagulation with MF/UF membrane filtration for removal of virus in drinking water, J. Memb. Sci., 279, 364-371 (2006). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.memsci.2005.12.023
- J. Jang, Y. Chung, Y. Lee, and S. Nam, Preparation and properties of membranes for the application of desalting, refining and concentrating for dye processing, Membr. J., 16, 213-220 (2006).
- A. Costa and M. Pinho, Performance and cost estimation of nanofiltration for surface water treatment in drinking water production, Desalination, 196, 55-65 (2006). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.desal.2005.08.030
- N. Hilal, H. Al-Zoubi, A. Mohammad, and N. Darwish, Nanofiltration of highly concentrated salt solutions up to seawater salinity, Desalination, 184, 315-326 (2005). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.desal.2005.02.062
- K. Courfia, N. Saidou, A. Mouhamadou, F. Michel, and D. Andre, Performance of nanofiltration (NF) and low pressure reverse osmosis (LPRO) membranes in the removal of fluorine and salinity from brackish drinking Water, J. Water Resource Prot., 3, 912-917 (2011). https://doi.org/10.4236/jwarp.2011.312101
- A. Dalvi, R. Al-Rasheed, and M. Javeed, Studies on organic foulants in the seawater feed of reverse osmosis plants of SWCC, Desalination, 132, 217-232 (2000). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0011-9164(00)00153-3
- S. Kim, S. Woo, H. Hwang, H. Koh, S. Ha, H. Choi, and S. Nam, Preparation and properties of chlorine-resistance loose reverse osmosis hollow-fiber membrane, Membr. J., 20, 304-311 (2010).
- H. Hwang, H. Koh, and S. Nam, Preparation and properties of cellulose triacetate membranes for reverse osmosis, Membr. J., 17, 277-286 (2007).
- I. Won, D. Kim, and K. Chung, Transmembrane pressure of the sinusoidal flux continuous operation mode for the submerged flat-sheet membrane bioreactor in coagulant dosage, Membr. J., 25, 7-14 (2015). https://doi.org/10.14579/MEMBRANE_JOURNAL.2015.25.1.7
- M. Mayhew, and T. Stephenson, Low biomass yield activated sludge: A review, Environ. Technol., 18, 883-892 (1997). https://doi.org/10.1080/09593331808616607
- M. Marcel, Basic Principles of Membrane Technology, 2nd ed., 157-209, Kluwer Academic Pubishers, Dordrecht/Boston/London, USA (1996).
- Y. Watanabe, K. Kimura, and T. Suzuki, Membrane application to water purification process in Japan-development of hybrid membrane system, Water Sci. Technol., 41, 9-16 (2000).
- F. Knops, S. van Hoof, H. Futselaar, and L. Broens, Economic evaluation of a new ultrafiltration membrane for pretreatment of seawater reverse osmosis, Desalination, 203, 300-306 (2007). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.desal.2006.04.013
- H. Jang, D. Kwon, and J. Kim, Seawater desalination pretreatments and future challenges, Membr. J., 25, 301-309 (2015). https://doi.org/10.14579/MEMBRANE_JOURNAL.2015.25.4.301
- D. Kim, M. Jo, and S. Nam, A review of polymer-nanocomposite electrolyte membranes for fuel cell application, J. Ind. Eng. Chem., 21, 36-52 (2015). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jiec.2014.04.030
- D. Kim, M. Jeong, and S. Nam, Research trends in ion exchange membrane processes and practical applications, Appl. Chem. Eng., 26, 1-16 (2015). https://doi.org/10.14478/ace.2015.1008
- H. Hwang, Y. Kim, S. Nam, and J. Rhim, Preparation of PVA/PAM/zirconium phosphate membrane for proton exchange membranes, Membr. J., 14, 117-125 (2004).
- D. Yu, S. Nam, S. Yoon, T. Kim, J. Lee, S. Nam, and Y. Hong, Edge protection using polyacrylonitrile thin-films for hydrocarbon-based membrane electrode assemblies, J. Ind. Eng. Chem., 28, 190-196 (2015). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jiec.2015.02.013
- M. Jeong and S. Nam, Reviews on preparation and membrane applications of polybenzimidazole polymers, Membr. J., 26, 253-265 (2016). https://doi.org/10.14579/MEMBRANE_JOURNAL.2016.26.4.253
- D. Kim, H. Hwang, S. Jung, and S. Nam, Sulfonated poly(arylene ether sulfone)/laponite-SO3H composite membrane for direct methanol fuel cell, J. Ind. Eng. Chem., 18, 556-562 (2012). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jiec.2011.11.128
- S. Lee, H. Kim, S. Nam, and C. Park, Synthetic strategies for high performance hydrocarbon polymer electrolyte membranes (PEMs) for fuel cells, Membr. J., 26, 1-13 (2016). https://doi.org/10.14579/MEMBRANE_JOURNAL.2016.26.1.1
- D. Lee, S. Kim, S. Nam, and H. Kim, Synthesis and ion conducting properties of anion exchange membranes based on PBI copolymers for alkaline fuel cells, Membr. J., 20, 217-221 (2010).
- C. Park, S. Nam, and Y. Hong, Molecular dynamics (MD) study of proton exchange membranes for fuel cells, Membr. J., 26, 329-336 (2016). https://doi.org/10.14579/MEMBRANE_JOURNAL.2016.26.5.329
- C. H. Woo, Study on Matrix Module for Predicting of Emerging ICT Technology, master degree Dissertation, Hoseo University, Asan, Korea (2014).
- S. Y. No, G. Y. Jang, M. J. Kim, and J. W. Lee, 2009 national R&D patent performance survey, analysis report, KIPO, 109-110, Korea (2009).
- Development of Core Components and Element Technology for Wearable Smart Device, KISPEP, 232-233, Korea (2016).
- Analysis of ICT Technology Competitiveness using Quantitative Information for 2015, IITP, 11-15, Korea (2015).