- Volume 28 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Preparation and Characterization of Organic Solvent-resistant Polybenzimidazole Membranes
용매저항성 폴리벤즈이미다졸 분리막의 제조 및 특성평가
- Jeong, Moon Ki (Department of Materials Engineering and Convergence Technology, Engineering Research Institute, Gyeongsang National University) ;
- Nam, Sang Yong (Department of Materials Engineering and Convergence Technology, Engineering Research Institute, Gyeongsang National University)
- Received : 2017.02.21
- Accepted : 2017.04.07
- Published : 2017.08.10
Recently, solvent-resistant nanofiltration membranes have been studied for the separation of solvents or solutes using a molecular weight cut-off system of the polymer which is resistant to a specific solvent. Required conditions for these membranes must have are excellent physical properties and solvent resistance. Polybenzimidazole, which is known to be one of the most heat-resistant commercially available polymers, has an excellent inherent solvent resistance and it is even insoluble in stronger organic solvents when cross-linked. Therefore, in this study, the applicability of polybenzimidazole as a solvent resistant nanofiltration membrane was discussed. The membrane was fabricated using the non-solvent induced phase separation method and showed a suitable morphology as a nanofiltration membrane confirmed by field emission scanning electron microscopy. In addition, the permeance of the solvent in the presence or absence of cross-linking was investigated and the stability was also confirmed through long operation. The permeance test was carried out with five different solvents: water, ethanol, benzene, N, N-dimethylacetamide (DMAc) and n-methyl-2-pyrrolidone (NMP); each of the initial flux was
Supported by : 산업통상자원부
- E. W. Neuse, Aromatic Polybenzimidazoles. Syntheses, Properties, and Applications, 1-42, Springer Berlin Heidelberg, Germany (1982).
- K. Hwang, J. Kim, S. Kim, and H. Byun, Preparation of polybenzimidazole- based membranes and their potential applications in the fuel cell system, Energies, 7, 1721-1732 (2014). https://doi.org/10.3390/en7031721
- H. M. S. Iqbal, Performance Evaluation of Polybenzimidazole for Potential Aerospace Applications, 3-10, TU Delft, Delft University of Technology, Netherlands (2014).
- S. H. Kim, J. M. Ko, W. G. Kim, and J. H. Chung, Studies on the synthesis of copolymer by using tetraaminobiphenyl and cardo molecule, Appl. Chem. Eng., 11, 170-175 (2000).
- D. J. Kim and S. Y. Nam, Development trend of membrane filter using ceramic fibers, Membr. J., 26, 87-96 (2016). https://doi.org/10.14579/MEMBRANE_JOURNAL.2016.26.2.87
- S. H. Kook, S. J. Kim, J. W. Lee, M. H. Hwang, and I. S. Kim, Structure parameter change estimation of a forward osmosis membrane under pressurized conditions in pressure-assisted forward osmosis (PAFO), Membr. J., 26, 187-196 (2016). https://doi.org/10.14579/MEMBRANE_JOURNAL.2016.26.3.187
- M. F. Flanagan and I. C. Escobar, Novel charged and hydrophilized polybenzimidazole (PBI) membranes for forward osmosis, J. Membr. Sci., 434, 85-92 (2013). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.memsci.2013.01.039
- J. G. Kim, S. H. Lee, C. H. Ryu, and G. J. Hwang, Preparation of cation exchange membrane using polybenzimidazole and its characteristic, Membr. J., 22, 265-271 (2012).
- A. Livingston, L. Peeva, and P. Silva, Organic solvent nanofiltration. In: S.P. Nunes and K.-V. Peinemann (eds.), Membrane Technology in the Chemical Industry, pp. 203-228, Wiley-VCH, Weinheim, Germany (2006).
- M. F. J. Solomon, Y. Bhole, and A. G. Livingston, High flux membranes for organic solvent nanofiltration (OSN) -Interfacial polymerization with solvent activation, J. Membr. Sci., 423, 371-382 (2012).
- I. B. Valtcheva, S. C. Kumbharkar, J. F. Kim, Y. Bhole, and A. G. Livingston, Beyond polyimide: crosslinked polybenzimidazole membranes for organic solvent nanofiltration (OSN) in harsh environments, J. Membr. Sci., 457, 62-72 (2014). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.memsci.2013.12.069
- K. Vanherck, P. Vandezande, S. O. Aldea, and I. F. Vankelecom, Cross-linked polyimide membranes for solvent resistant nanofiltration in aprotic solvents, J. Membr. Sci., 320, 468-476 (2008). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.memsci.2008.04.026
- H. N. Jang, S. J. Kim, Y. T. Lee, and K. H. Lee, Progress of nanofiltration hollow fiber membrane, Appl. Chem. Eng., 24, 456-470 (2013).
- D. Y. Oh and S. Y. Nam, Developmental trend of polyimide membranes for gas separation, Membr. J., 21, 307-320 (2011).
M. Namvar-Mahboub and M. Pakizeh, Development of a novel thin film composite membrane by interfacial polymerization on polyetherimide/modified
$SiO_2$support for organic solvent nanofiltration, Sep. Purif. Technol., 119, 35-45 (2013). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.seppur.2013.09.003
- B. S. Cheon, S. I. Cheong, and J. W. Rhim, Pilot test with pervaporation separation of aqueous IPA using a composite PEI/PDMS membrane module, Membr. J., 25, 385-390 (2015). https://doi.org/10.14579/MEMBRANE_JOURNAL.2015.25.5.385
- N. Ghaemi, S. S. Madaeni, and A. Alizadeh, Fabrication and modification of polysulfone nanofiltration membrane using organic acids: morphology, characterization and performance in removal of xenobiotics, Sep. Purif. Technol., 96, 214-228 (2012). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.seppur.2012.06.008
- S. M. Woo, Y. S. Chung, and S. Y. Nam, Evaluation of morphology and water flux for polysulfone flat sheet membrane with conditions of coagulation bath and dope solution, Membr. J., 22, 258-264 (2012).
- K. Hendrix, G. Koeckelberghs, and I. F. Vankelecom, Study of phase inversion parameters for PEEK-based nanofiltration membranes, J. Membr. Sci., 452, 241-251 (2014). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.memsci.2013.10.048
- M. Sairam, X. Loh, and Y. Bhole, Spiral-wound polyaniline membrane modules for organic solvent nanofiltration (OSN), J. Membr. Sci., 349, 123-129 (2010). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.memsci.2009.11.039
- J. H. Park, D. J. Kim, and S. Y. Nam, Characterization and preparation of PEG-Polyimide copolymer asymmetric flat sheet membrane for carbon dioxide separation, Membr. J., 25, 547-557 (2016).
- S. M. Woo, J. J. Choi, and S. Y. Nam, Preparation of hydroxy polyimide membranes for gas separation by phase inversion method, Membr. J., 22, 62-71 (2012).
- I. Valtcheva, S. Kumbharkar, J. Kim, L. Peeva, and A. Livingston, Development of organic solvent nanofiltration membranes for the application in extreme pH conditions, Procedia Eng., 44, 313-315 (2012). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.proeng.2012.08.399
- D. Chen, S. Yu, H. Zhang, and X. Li, Solvent resistant nanofiltration membrane based on polybenzimidazole, Sep. Purif. Technol., 142, 299-306 (2015). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.seppur.2015.01.011
- N. W. Kim, Preparation of asymmetric membrane by addition of nonsolvent, Membr. J., 25, 32-41 (2015). https://doi.org/10.14579/MEMBRANE_JOURNAL.2015.25.1.32
S. B. Yun and Y. T. Lee, Effect of addition of cosolvent
$\gamma$-butyrolactone on morphology of polysulfone hollow fiber membranes, Appl. Chem. Eng., 25, 274-280 (2014). https://doi.org/10.14478/ace.2014.1026
- J. A. Joule and K. Mills, Heterocyclic Chemistry at a Glance, 461-483, John Wiley and Sons, Chichester, UK (2012).
- J. F. Kim, P. R. Gaffney, and I. B. Valtcheva, Organic solvent nanofiltration (OSN): A new technology platform for liquid-phase oligonucleotide synthesis (LPOS), Org. Process Res. Dev., 20, 1439-1452 (2016). https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.oprd.6b00139
- T. G. Ahn, Miscibility and specific intermolecular interaction strength of PBI/PI blends depending on polyimide structure, Appl. Chem. Eng., 9, 185-192 (1998).
- B. Y. Lee, P. Dahal, H. S. Kim, S. Y. Yoo, and Y. C. Kim, A study on the molecular weight control and rheological properties of branched polycarbonate, Appl. Chem. Eng., 23, 388-393 (2012).
- J. H. Lee, J. H. Kim, and Y. T. Lee, Characteristics of permeation and fouling of UF/MF hollow fiber membranes for drinking water treatment, Membr. J., 10, 75-82 (2000).
- J. S. Wang, B. J. Kim, and S. H. Choi, Technical feasibility for hollow-fiber ultrafiltration water treatment system and its economic aspects, Appl. Chem. Eng., 10, 12-18 (1999).