- Volume 28 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Properties of Water-based Acrylic Adhesives Depending on Surfactants
계면활성제의 종류에 따른 수성 아크릴 접착제의 물성변화
- Park, Jong-Kwon (Dept. of Eng. Chem., Chungbuk Univ.) ;
- Jeong, Noh-Hee (Dept. of Eng. Chem., Chungbuk Univ.)
- Received : 2017.05.11
- Accepted : 2017.07.12
- Published : 2017.08.10
In this study, aqueous acrylic emulsion adhesives were prepared using various surfactants and their properties were also investigated. Solids content, conversion, particle size distribution and initial adhesion properties of the prepared adhesives were compared with each other. The solid content of the adhesives was evaluated 60% and the conversion rate of the emulsion polymerization was 97% at 2 wt% concentration of synthesized surfactants. The particle size distribution analysis revealed that the size distribution of adhesive particles was 290~470 nm when the synthesized cationic surfactant was added. The initial adhesion and adhesion time were also improved. The maximum adhesive strength was found to be 2.55 kgf when using a single surfactant (POE 23), and superior to that of using other surfactants. It was confirmed that the corrosion inhibition of the adhesive prepared by adding the cationic gemini surfactant was maintained for 48 hours.
- X. Gao, S. Liu, H. Lu, F. Gao, and H. Ma, Corrosion inhibition of iron in acidic solutions by monoalkyl phosphate esters with different chain lengths, Ind. Eng. Chem. Res., 54(7), 1941-1952 (2015). https://doi.org/10.1021/ie503508h
- F. L. Fei, J. Hu, J. X. Wei, Q. J. Yu, and Z. S. Chen, Corrosion performance of steel reinforcement in simulated concrete pore solutions in the presence of imidazoline quaternary ammonium salt corrosion inhibitor, Constr. Build. Mater., 70, 43-53 (2014). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2014.07.082
- L. Li, X. Zhang, J. Lei, J. He, S. Zhang, and F. Pan, Adsorption and corrosion inhibition of Osmanthus fragran leaves extract on carbon steel, Corros. Sci., 63, 82-90 (2012). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.corsci.2012.05.026
- M. A. Hegazy, A. Y. El-Etre, M. El-Shafaiea, and K. M. Berry, Novel cationic surfactants for corrosion inhibition of carbon steel pipelines in oil and gas wells applications, J. Mol. Liq., 214, 347-356 (2016). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.molliq.2015.11.047
- M. A. Hegazy, S. M. Rashwan, M. M. Kamel, and M. S. El Kotb, Synthesis, surface properties and inhibition behavior of novel cationic gemini surfactant for corrosion of carbon steel tubes in acidic solution, J. Mol. Liq., 211, 126-134 (2015). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.molliq.2015.06.051
- S. M. Tawfik, Ionic liquids based gemini cationic surfactants as corrosion inhibitors for carbon steel in hydrochloric acid solution, J. Mol. Liq., 216, 624-635 (2016). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.molliq.2016.01.066
- E. A. Badr, Inhibition effect of synthesized cationic surfactant on the corrosion of carbon steel in 1 M HCl, J. Ind. Eng. Chem., 22(5), 3361-3366 (2014).
- A. M. Al-Sabagh, N. Gh. Kandil, O. Ramadan, N. M. Amera, R. Mansoura, and E. A. Khamisa, Novel cationic surfactants from fatty acids and their corrosion inhibition efficiency for carbon steel pipelines in 1 M HCl, Egypt. J. Pet., 20(2), 47-57 (2011). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejpe.2011.06.007
- K. Chari, Y. S. Seo, and S. Satija, Competitive adsorption at the air-water interface from a self-assembling polymer-surfactant mixture, J. Phys. Chem. B, 108(31), 11442-11446 (2004). https://doi.org/10.1021/jp049062s
- S. C. Biswas and D. K. Chattoraj, Kinetics of adsorption of cationic surfactants at silica-water interface, J. Colloid Interface Sci., 205(1), 12-20 (1998). https://doi.org/10.1006/jcis.1998.5574
- Z. Bao, W. Li, Z. Fu, and L. Chen, A review of the application of renewable resources in preparing acrylic polymer latex, Polym. Renew. Resour., 7(1), 13-20 (2016).
- O. T. Berbert, B. D. Kehler, S. D. Spence, and G. A. Mcmaster, Multilayer adhesive absorbent laminate, US Patent 20,160,016,718 (2016).
- S. Fujii, S. Sawada, S. Nakayama, M. Kappl, K. Ueno, K. Shitajima, and Y. Nakamura, Pressure-sensitive adhesive powder, Mater. Horiz., 3, 47-52 (2016). https://doi.org/10.1039/C5MH00203F
- A. Shinsuke and Y. Toyama, Polarizing plate with pressure- sensitive adhesive layer, US Patent 20,160,085,006 (2016).
- S. M. S. Mohaghegh, M. Barikani, and A. A. Entezami, The effect of grafted poly(ethylene glycol monomethyl ether) on particle size and viscosity of aqueous polyurethane dispersions, Colloids Surf. A, 276, 95-99 (2006). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.colsurfa.2005.10.023
- Y. S. Kwak, S. W. Park, and H. D. Kim, Preparation and properties of waterborne polyurethane-urea anionomers: Influences of the type of neutralizing agent and chain extender, Colloid Polym. Sci., 281(10), 957-963 (2003). https://doi.org/10.1007/s00396-003-0861-x
- D. Santos, R. Galhano, E. R. Silva, J. C. Bordado, A. C. Cardoso, M. R. Costa, and M. M. Mateus, Natural polymeric water-based adhesive from cork liquefaction, Ind. Crops Prod., 84, 314-319 (2016). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.indcrop.2016.02.020
- S. J. Rego, A. C. Vale, G. M. Luz, J. F. Mano, and N. M. Alves, Adhesive bioactive coatings inspired by sea life, Langmuir, 32(2), 560-568 (2016). https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.langmuir.5b03508
- J. B. Kwon, S. H. Park, S. Y. Kim, J. Jo, C. W. Han, K. T. Park, and K. R. Ha, Emulsion polymerization of pressure-sensitive acrylic adhesives using alkali-soluble resin as a polymeric emulsifier and their characterization, Polymer(Korea), 40(1), 77-84 (2016).
- S. Z. Yao, X. H. Jiang, L. M. Zhou, Y. J. Lv, and X. Q. Hu, Corrosion inhibition of iron in 20% hydrochloric acid by 1,4/1,6-bis(-octyl pyridinium)butane/hexane dibromide, Mater. Chem. Phys., 104, 301-305 (2007). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matchemphys.2007.03.018