- Volume 29 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Empirical Equations for Checking Validity of Access Hole Parameters for WUF-W Connections
WUF-W 접합부의 액세스 홀 형상변수 타당성 평가를 위한 경험식 제안
- Han, Sang Whan (Dept. of Architectural Engineering, Hanyang University) ;
- Yoon, Yong (Dept. of Architectural Engineering, Hanyang University) ;
- Kim, Y. Debbie (Texas A&M University at Commerce, Department of Engineering and Technology)
- Received : 2017.02.14
- Accepted : 2017.07.24
- Published : 2017.08.27
The welded unreinforced flange-welded web(WUF-W) connection is an all-welded moment connection, which is qualified for special moment frame(SMF) connections. However, previous studies reported that some WUF-W connections did not meet the drift requirement specified for SMF connections and such unexpected connection performance was resulted from weld access hole geometry. The objective of this study is to determine the permissible ranges of major access hole parameters such as access hole slope and the length of flat portion that lead to the satisfactory performance of WUF-W connections using Nonlinear finite element analyses are conducted. This study also proposes simple empirical equations to check the validity of access hole parameters to be selected in design process.
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- Engelhardt, M.D. and Husain, A.S. (1993) Cyclic Loading Performance of Welded Flange-Bolted Web Connections, Journal of Structural Engineering, ASCE, Vol.119, No.12, pp.3537-3550. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1993)119:12(3537)
- Youssef, N.F., Bonowitz, D., and Gross, J.L. (1995) A Survey of Steel Moment-Resisting Frame Buildings Affected By the 1994 Northridge Earthquake, US National Institute of Standards and Technology.
- Malley, J. (1998) SAC Steel Project: Summary of Phase 1 Testing Investigation Results, Engineering Structures, Eng Struct, Vol.20, No.4-6, pp.300-309. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0141-0296(97)00033-3
- Stojadinovic, B., Goel, S., Lee, K., Margarian, A., and Choi, J. (2000) Parametric Tests on Unreinforced Steel Moment Connections, Journal of Structural Engineering, ASCE, Vol.126, No.1, pp.40-49. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2000)126:1(40)
- Federal Emergency Management Agency (2000) Recommended Seismic Design Criteria For New Steel Moment Frame Buildings: FEMA-350, SAC Joint Venture, Richmond, VA.
- American Institute of Steel Construction Inc.(2010) Prequalified Connections for Special and Intermediate Steel Moment Frames for Seismic Applications, ANSI/AISC 358-10, Chicago, IL.
- Bruneau, M., Uang, C. M., and Sabelli, S.R. (2011) Ductile Design of Steel Structures, McGraw Hill Professional.
- 오상훈, 최영재, 윤성기, 이동규(2010) SN 강재가 사용된 강구조 용접모멘트접합부의 내진성능 평가, 한국강구조학회논문집, 한국강구조학회, 제22권, 제3호, pp.271-280. (Oh, S.H., Choi, Y.J., Yoon, S.K., and Lee, D.G. (2010) Evaluating Seismic Performance of Steel Welded Moment Connections Fabricated with SN Steel, Journal of Korean Society of Steel Construction, KSSC, Vol.22, No.3, pp.271-280 (in Korean).)
- Chi, W.M., Deierlein, G.G., and Ingraffea, A.R. (1997) Finite element Fracture Mecanics Investigation of Welded Beam-Column Connection, SAC Joint Venture, Report No. SAC/BD-97-05, Sacramento, CA.
- El-Tawil, S., Mikesell, T., Vidarsson, E., and Kunnath, S.K. (1998) Strength And Ductility Of FR Welded-Bolted Connections, SAC Joint Venture, Report No. SAC/BD-98-01, Sacramento, CA.
- Lu, L.W., Ricles, J.M., and Fisher, J.W. (2000) Critical Issues in Achieving Ductile Behavior of Welded Moment Connections, Journal of Constructional Steel Research, JCSR, Vol.55, No.1, pp.325-341. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0143-974X(99)00092-9
- Mao, C., Ricles, J., Lu, L.W., and Fisher, J. (2001) Effect of Local Details on Ductility of Welded Moment Connections, Journal of Structural Engineering, ASCE, Vol.127, No.9, pp.1036-1044. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2001)127:9(1036)
- Han, S.W., Moon, K.H., and Jung, J. (2014) Cyclic Performance of Welded Unreinforced Flange-Welded Web moment Connections, Earthquake Spectra, Earthq Spectra, Vol.30, No.4, pp.1663-1681. https://doi.org/10.1193/080212EQS250M
- Han, S.W., Jung, J., and Ha, S.J. (2016) Seismic Performance of WUF-W Moment Connections According to Access Hole Geometries, Earthquake Spectra, Earthq Spectra, Vol.32, No.2, pp.909-926. https://doi.org/10.1193/060614EQS082M
- Han, S.W., Kim, N.H., and Cho, S.W. (2016) Prediction of Cyclic Behavior of WUF-W Connections with Various Weld Access hole Configurations Using Nonlinear FEA. International Journal of Steel Structures, IJoSS, Vol.16, No.4, pp.1197-1208. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13296-016-0057-0
- 황성훈, 문기훈, 한상환, 이진영(2010) WUF-W 모멘트 접합부의 비탄성 반복 하중 실험, 대한건축학회 논문집, 대한건축학회, 제26권, 제10호, pp.61-68. (Hwang, S.H., Moon, K.H., Han, S.W., and Lee, J.Y. (2010) Inelastic Cyclic Loading Tests on Welded Unreinforced Flange-welded Web(WUF-W) Moment Connections, Journal of Architectural Institute of Korea, JAIK, Vol.26, No.10, pp.61-68 (in Korean).)
- 한상환, 정진, 문기훈, 김진원(2012) 개선된 엑세스 홀 형상을 갖는 WUF-W접합부의 실험을 통한 내진성능평가, 한국지진공학회지, 한국지진공학회, 제16권, 제6호, pp.21-28. (Han, S.W., Jung, J., Moon, K.H., and Kim, J.W. (2012) Experimental Evaluation of the Seismic Performance of WUF-W Moment Connections with a Modified Access Hole, Journal of the Earthquake Engineering Society of Korea, EESK, Vol. 16, No.6, pp.21-28 (in Korean).)
- 김남훈, 김태오, 한상환(2017) 액세스 홀 형상변수가 WUF-W 접합부 반복거동에 미치는 영향, 대한건축학회논문집 구조계, 대한건축학회, 제33권, 제1호, pp.33-40. (Kim, N.H., Kim, T.O., and Han, S.W. (2017) Effect of Access Hole Configuration Parameters on Cyclic Behavior for WUF-W Connections, Journal of Architectural Institute of Korea, JAIK, Vol.33, No.1, pp.33-40 (in Korean).)
- American Welding Society (2009) Structural Welding Code-Seismic Supplement, AWS D1.8/D1.8M, Miami FL.
- Ricles, J.M., Mao, C., Lu, L.W., and Fisher, J.W. (2002) Inelastic Cyclic Testing of Welded Unreinforced Moment Connections, Journal of Structural Engineering, ASCE, Vol.128, No.4, pp.429-440. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2002)128:4(429)
- Lee, D., Cotton, S.C., Hajjar, J.F., Dexter, R.J., Ye, Y., and Ojard, S.D. (2005) Cyclic Behavior of Steel Moment-resisting Connections Reinforced by Alternative Column Stiffener Details I: Connection Performance and Continuity Plate Detailing, AISC Engineering Journal, AISC, Vol.24, No.4, pp.189-214.
- Lee, D., Cotton, S.C., Hajjar, J.F., Dexter, R.J., Ye, Y., and Ojard, S.D. (2005) Cyclic Behavior of Steel Moment-resisting Connections Reinforced by Alternative Column Stiffener Details II: Panel Zone Behavior and Doubler Plate Detailing, AISC Engineering Journal, AISC, Vol.24, No.4, pp.215-238.
- Hancock, J.W. and Mackenzie, A.C. (1976) On the Mechanisms of Ductile Failure in High-strength Steels Subjected to Multi-axial Stress-states, Journal of the Mechanics and Physics of Solids, NCBI Vol.24, No.2, pp.147-160. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-5096(76)90024-7
- 이경구(2008) 비탄성 국부좌굴을 고려한 철골 모멘트 접합부의 회전능력 평가를 위한 모델 개발, 한국강구조학회논문집, 한국강구조학회, 제20권, 제5호, pp.617-624. (Lee, K.K. (2008) Evaluation of Rotation Capacity of Steel Moment Connections Considering Inelastic Local Buckling - Model Development, Journal of the Korean Society of Steel Construction, KSSC, Vol.20, No.5, pp.617-624 (in Korean).)
- Krawinkler, H., Gupta, A., Medina, R., and Luco, N. (2000) Loading Histories for Seismic Performance Testing of SMRF Components and Assemblies, SAC Joint Venture, Rep. No. SAC/BD-00/10, Sacramento, CA.
- Hibbitt, H., Karlsson, B., and Sorensen, P. (2011) Abaqus Analysis User's Manual Version 6.10, Dassault Systems Simulia Corp, Providence, RI.
- American Institute of Steel Construction Inc. (2010) Seismic Provisions for Structural Steel Buildings, ANSI/AISC 341-10, Chicago, IL.