- Volume 17 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
Health Promotion Behavior and Health-related Quality of Life by Acculturation Levels among Chinese University Students in Korea
재한중국유학생의 문화적응환경에서의 건강증진행위와 건강관련 삶의 질
- Received : 2017.04.25
- Accepted : 2017.07.13
- Published : 2017.08.28
This study was to identify the relationship between health promoting behaviors and health related quality of life at acculturation environment of Chinese international students in Korea. From November 2010 to December 2011, 395 Chinese international students in undergraduate, masters or doctorate courses from 10 universities and graduate schools in Seoul and vicinity participated in self-report survey of the acculturation level, the health promoting behaviors and SF-12, the health related quality of life. The data of 395 students were classified to 3 groups based on the acculturation level. The low level group showed the health promoting behaviors strongly influence the physical component score of quality of life. As the acculturation level increased, the health promoting behaviors closely affected to the mental health-related quality of life. The results indicated that the acculturation level may be control variable to define the relationship between the health promoting behaviors and the health-related quality of life.
Acculturation;Health Promoting Behaviors;Quality of Life;International Student
- S. J. Kim and E. O. Ahn, "College women's health concept and health behavior," Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, Vol.27, No.2, pp.264-274, 1997.
- K. S. Han, J. H. Kim, K. M. Lee, and J. S. Park, "Correlation between Quality of Life and health promoting behaviors among hospital staff nurses," Journal of Korean Academy of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing, Vol.13, No.4, pp.430-437, 2004.
- World Health Organization, "WHOQOL study protocol," Geneva: World Health Organization, 1993.
- J. B. Mckinlay, "Some issues associated with migration, health status and the use of health services," Journal of chronic diseases, Vol.28, pp.579-592, 1975. https://doi.org/10.1016/0021-9681(75)90071-5
- S. J. Park and S. H. Choi, "Factors influencing health promoting behaviors of Korean students in China," The Korean journal of fundamentals of nursing, Vol.13, No.2, pp.269-274, 2006.
- D. S. Ra and S. H. Kang, "A study on the cultural adjustment competence by their Acculturative Stress-mediating and moderating effects of social support," Korean journal of youth studies, Vol.17, No.7, pp.21-46, 2010.
- I. S. Lim, The actual conditions of early overseas Korean students in China and identifying protective factor for the psychosocial adjustment, Unpublished Master's thesis, Sookmyung Women's University, Seoul, 2008.
- R. P. Oh, Relationship between cultural adaptation and mental health of Chinese students in Korea, Unpublished, Master's thesis, Chungbuk National University, Cheongju, 2008.
- S. J. Kim and I. Y. Yoo, "Health promoting behaviors of Chinese International Students in Korea Including Acculturation Factors: A Structural Equation Model," Asian Nursing Research, Vol.10, No.1, pp.25-31, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anr.2015.10.008
- R. M. Suinn, G. Khoo, and C. Ahuna, "The Suinn-Lew Asian self-identity Acculturation scale: Cross-cultural information," Journal of Multicultural Counseling and Development, Vol.23, No.3, pp.139-148, 1995. https://doi.org/10.1002/j.2161-1912.1995.tb00269.x
- K. R. Sechrist, S. N. Walker, and N. J. Pender, "Development and psychometric evaluation of the exercise benefits/barriers scale," Research in nursing & health, Vol.10, No.6, pp.357-365, 1987. https://doi.org/10.1002/nur.4770100603
- J. E. Ware, M. Kosinski, and S. D. Keller, "A 12-Item Short-Form health survey: construction of scales and preliminary tests of reliability and validity," Medical Care, Vol.34, No.3, pp.220-223, 1996. https://doi.org/10.1097/00005650-199603000-00003
- N. O. Jung and M. H. Lee, "A prediction model of health promoting behaviors in women who immigrate for marriage," Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, Vol.40, No.5, pp.695-704, 2010. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2010.40.5.695
- C. J. Lee and S. G. Kim, "Social networks and psychological adjustment of female foreign immigrants in Korea," Korean Journal of Family Welfare, Vol.12, No.15, pp.73-91, 2010.
- E. H. Hur, S. K. Yeom, and Y. K. Jung, "A study on the relations between a health promoting daily life style and Self-Efficiency in university students," The Journal of the Korean Society of School Health, Vol.11 No.2, pp.203-216, 1998.
- S. R. Kim, D. H. Kim, and J. H. Kim, "A comparison of Health-Promoting Behavior of Han-Chinese to Korean-Chinese university students in Korea," The Journal of Korean Society for School Health Education, Vol.24, No.1, pp.89-98, 2011.
- L. K. Lam and Y. Y. Tse, "Is the standard SF-12 health survey valid and equivalent for a Chinese population?," Quality of life Research, Vol.14, No.2, pp.539-547, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11136-004-0704-3
- T. P. Lam, L. K. Lam, and Y. T. Fong, and W. Huang, "Is the SF-12 version 2 health survey a valid and equivalent substitute for the SF-36 version 2 health survey for the Chinese?," Journal of evaluation in clinical practice, Vol.17, No.6, pp.1-9, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2753.2009.01292.x
- M. Ferrer and J. Alonso, "The use of the Short Form(SF)-36 questionnaire for older adults," Age Aging, Vol.27 No.6, pp.755-756, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1093/ageing/27.6.755
- M. G. Marmot and S. L. Syme, "Acculturation and coronary heart disease in Japanese-Americans. American journal of epidemiology," Vol.104, No.3, pp.225-247, 1976. https://doi.org/10.1093/oxfordjournals.aje.a112296
- J. Gooding, "Blue collar blues on the assembly line," Fortune, pp.69-71, 1970(7).
- Y. M. Lee, "Quality of life and its related factors among university students," Journal of Korean Society for Mental Education and Promotion, Vol.24, No.2, pp.77-91, 2007.
- N. E. Kim, "The relationships among stress, resilience and Quality of Life in college students," Journal of Adolescent Welfare, Vol.14, No.4, pp.1-19, 2011.
- US Department of Health and Human Service, Public Health Service, Health People 2000: National health promoting and Disease Prevention Objective, DHHS Pub no(PHS) 91-50212, Washington, DC: US Government Printing Office, 1990.
- M. K. Cho, The Relation of university students' participation of life sports, health promoting behaviors, health control behavior, and quality of life, Ph.D. dissertation, The Graduate School of Sejong University, Seoul, 2007.