- Volume 8 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
Convergent Interaction Effects of Six Worklife Area on Relation between Nurse's Patients related Stress and Burnout
간호사의 환자관련 스트레스와 직무탈진의 관계에서 직무환경 요인의 융합적 상호작용
- Lee, Eun-Kyung (College of Nursing, The Research Institute of Nursing Science, Daegu Catholic University) ;
- Heo, Chang-Goo (Department of Psychology, Daegu Catholic University)
- Received : 2017.05.01
- Accepted : 2017.08.20
- Published : 2017.08.28
The purpose of this study was to identify the convergent interaction effects of work environment on the relation between patients related stress and nurse's burnout. Data were collected with a convenience sample of 168 nurses at hospital in Seoul, Korea from 1 July to 15 July 2014. The structured questionnaires measured patients related stress, work environment, and burnout. In the results, patients related stress enhanced burnout. The analysis of moderating effect of work environments to relation between patients related stress to burnout showed that high control, rewards, fairness, and value and low overload reduced the influence of patients related stress to burnout. And community had main effect to burnout. Based on these results, it is necessary to develop nurse's work environment improvement strategies for relieving burnout.
Patients related stress;Work environment;Worklife area;Burnout;Nurse
- B. M. Bang, S. Y. Lee, J. O. C, "Empirical study on the turn-over intention of university hospital nurses", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 13, No. 2, pp. 205-213, 2015.
- M. J. Kim, G. Y. Kang, "The convergence study on the relationship between the job stress and mental health of nurses", Journal of Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 6, No. 5, pp. 39-47, 2015. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2015.6.5.039
- G. S. Yoon, S. Y. Kim, "Influences of job stress and burnout on turnover intention of nurses", Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, Vol. 16, No. 4, pp. 507-516, 2010. https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2010.16.4.507
- J. M. Lee, Y. H. Yom, "Effects of work stress, compassion fatigue, and compassion satisfaction on burnout in clinical nurses", Journal of Korean Academy Nursing Administration, Vol. 19, No. 5, pp. 689-697, 2013. https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2013.19.5.689
- K. L. Choi, S. E. Heo, D. H. M, "Convergence study on the influence of job stress of shift work nurses on nursing performance", Journal of Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 7, No. 4, pp. 107-121, 2016.
- E. Y. Lee, K. H. Shon, "An analysis of research trends related with job stress in nursing", Journal of Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 6, No. 3, pp. 87-95, 2015.
- S. L. Pisaniello, H. R. Winfield, P. H. Delfabbro, "The influence of emotional labour and emotional work on the occupational health and wellbeing of South Australian hospital nurses". Journal of Vocational Behavior, Vol. 80, pp. 579-591, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvb.2012.01.015
- T. H. Jang, J. W. Lee, "Moderating effects of negative emotion, burnout and customer orientation of service staff due to CSS(customer-related social stressors)", Journal of Business Research, Vol. 31 No. 2, pp.29-57, 2016.
- S. Dudenhoffer, C. Dormann, "Customer-related social stressors and service providers' affective reactions". Journal of Organizational Behavior, Vol. 34, No. 4, 520-539, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1002/job.1826
- H. J. KIm, H. Y. Kim, "Experience of job stress among nurses working in long-term care hospital: a phenomenological approach". Korean Journal of Adult Nursing, Vol. 28, No. 5, pp. 572-584, 2016. https://doi.org/10.7475/kjan.2016.28.5.572
- J. W. Han, "The effects of personality and emotional labor stress on job satisfaction", Journal of Secretarial studies, Vol. 14, No. 1, pp. 145-167, 2006
- R. L. Kahn, P. Byosiere. Stress in organizations. In Dunnette, M. D. & L. M. Hough (Eds.). Handbook of Industrial & Organizational Psychology. Vol 3. Palo Alto. CA: Consulting Psychologists Press: 571-650, 1992.
- N. Weinstein, K. W. Brown, R. M. Ryan, "A multi-method examination of the effects of mindfulness on stress attribution, coping, and emotional well-being", Journal of Research in Personality, Vol. 43, No. 3, 374-385, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jrp.2008.12.008
- N. S. Park, "Mindfulness mediator effects in stress, burnout, resistance to organizational change and job satisfaction of public enterprise office employees". Health and Social Science. Vol. 33, pp. 109-134. 2013.
- M. P. Leiter, C. Maslach, "Nurse turnover: the mediating role of burnout". Journal of Nursing Management, Vol. 17, pp. 331-339, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2834.2009.01004.x
- M. Bamford, C. A. Wong, H. Laschinger H, "The influence of authentic leadership and area of worklife on work engagement of registered nurses". Journal of Nursing Management, Vol. 21, pp. 529-540, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2834.2012.01399.x
- M. P. Leiter, C. Maslach, "Six areas of worklife: a model of the organizational context of burnout." Journal of Health and Human Services administration, pp. 472-489, 1999.
- M. P. Leiter, C. Maslach, "Areas of worklife: A structured approach to organizational predictors of job burnout." Emotional and physiological processes and positive intervention strategies. Emerald Group Publishing Limited, pp. 91-134, 2003.
- C. Dormann, D. Zapf, "Customer-related social stressors and burnout", Journal of Occupational Health Psychology, Vol. 9, No. 1, pp. 61-82, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1037/1076-8918.104.22.168
- M. P. Leiter, C. Maslach, "Early predictors of job burnout and engagement", Journal of Applied Psychology, Vol. 93, No. 3, pp. 498-512, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.93.3.498
- W. B. Schaufeli, M. P. Leiter, C. Maslach, S. E. Jackson, "The Maslach Burnout Inventory-Test Manual(3rd Ed). Consulting Psychologists Press, Palo Alto, CA, 1996.
- C. Maslach, W. B. Schaufeli, M. P. Leiter, "Job burnout", Annual Review Psychology, Vol. 52, No. 1, pp. 397-422, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.psych.52.1.397
- Cordes, C. L., & Dougherty, T. W. (1993). A review and an integration of research on job burnout. Academy of management review, 18(4), 621-656. https://doi.org/10.5465/amr.1993.9402210153
- M. P. Leiter, "Burnout as a developmental process: Consideration", Professional burnout: Recent developments in theory and research, pp. 237-249, 1993.
- W. B. Schaufeli, A. B. Bakker, "Job demands, job resources, and their relationship with burnout and engagement: A multi-sample study", Journal of Organizational Behavior, Vol. 25, No. 3, pp. 293-315, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1002/job.248
- R. M. Baron, D. A. Kenny, "The moderator-mediator variable distinction in social psychological research: Conceptual, strategic, and statistical considerations", Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, Vol. 51, No. 6, pp. 1173-1182.
- L. S. Aiken, S. G. West, R. R. Reno, "Multiple regression: Testing and interpreting interactions", Sage, 1991.
- A. F. Hayes, "Introduction to mediation, moderation, and conditional process analysis: A regression-based approach", Guilford Press, 2013.
- Y. J. Oh, Y. H. Choi, "Effects of emotional labor, job stress and burnout on somatization in nurses: in convergence era". Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 13, No. 10, pp. 415-424, 2015.
- A. B. Bakker, P. M. Le Blanc, W. B. Schaufeli, "Burnout contagion among intensive care nurses". Journal of Advanced Nursing, Vol. 51, No. 3, pp. 276-287, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2648.2005.03494.x
- J. Y. Hong, Development of validation of the emotional labor scale for nurses. Ewha Womans University, PhD. thesis, 2016.
- K. J. Choi, S. S. Han, "The influence of the job stress, job satisfaction and social support of clinical nurse's burnout", Journal of East-West Nursing Research, Vol. 19, No. 1, pp. 55-61, 2013. https://doi.org/10.14370/jewnr.2013.19.1.055
- B. H. Lee, S. G. Yi, "The influence of communication and social support on the organizational immersion of small and medium cosmetic brand shop", Journal of Convergence for Information Technology, Vol. 7, No. 3, pp. 117-125, 2017.
- S. H. Jin, J. H. Kim, "Influence of resilience and perceived individual and organizational support on organizational commitment among hospital nurses", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 15, No. 5, pp. 293-303, 2017.
- S. C. Choi, J. S. Lee, S. Y. Sim, J. H. Lee, J. H. Park, "The effect of job stress and depression on job satisfaction among workers in small and medium sized enterprises", Journal of Convergence for Information Technology, Vol. 7, No. 1, pp. 1-9, 2017.